What you need to 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
And it sucks that your parents seem to look down on the car building hobby, most people do nowadays. But it's your parents house, your parents pay the bills, they make the rules, even if they aren't to your liking. If you really can't get a crate motor, you can just rebuild the 305. Don't go crazy, but you can just do normal hotrod stuff to it and it will run perfectly fine until you get your own place and garage space. Tear it down, mark where everything goes, put everything in Tupperware containers (not your mom's) marked with what goes where, take lots of pictures! For example when/if you take the motor out, turn it to TDC of the compression stroke on #1 and note where the dizzy is, where the vacuum advance canister is pointing to, where the rotor is. Then bore it .030 over, higher compression (aim for 9.5:1 for pump gas), bumpy cam, dual exhaust, recurve the dizzy, and away you go.
haha they wouldnt let ANY car other than my mazda 6 at my house which is why i have to keep the cars at my grandparents house, my grandpa is chill he actually used to street race (nothing serious) but he understands why i want a fast car, while my mom freaks out when i say im going to motor swap she says "DOES THAT MEAN YOU ARE GOING TO SPEED?" and tbh ive tried to sit down and talk to them and see why they dont want me to get into cars and my dads excuse is i need money for books at college. next year i AM going to a college but its a damn community college, i have a job, and i get to go free due to the missouri A+ program, but enough with the rant. i think my uncle said something like he needs the trucks brakes bled so i thought i might be able to do the brakes if he lets me use his truck (its not even his its still owned by my grandpa but he takes alot of their stuff). and for the 305 repaint, im keeping the stock, half painted half rusted look because this thing is going to be SLEEPY! haha i want to get a really quiet but good flowing exhaust just so people think im some grandma till i rip past them going 120

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The box might fit in the trunk, even if it does stick out a little bit. I imagine it's not fully assembled. And I do know my engine stand was able to fit in the passenger seat. It's about the size of two 8 year olds standing side by side, if that makes sense.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The box might fit in the trunk, even if it does stick out a little bit. I imagine it's not fully assembled so the box should be smaller. And I do know my engine stand was able to fit in the passenger seat. It's about the size of two 8 year olds standing side by side, if that makes sense.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Well, folded up they're about 5 1/2 feet tall by 3 1/2 wide. I don't recall how big the box is. I do know that tt won't fit in a car. You could strap it to the roof, but put some old blankets down. If there is no roof rack, open the doors and strap it through the windows.
oh jeez, im thinking about just taking it from harbour freight and walking it to the house, id say its about half a mile but the problem is going to be when i have to cross a street.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
The box might fit in the trunk, even if it does stick out a little bit. I imagine it's not fully assembled so the box should be smaller. And I do know my engine stand was able to fit in the passenger seat. It's about the size of two 8 year olds standing side by side, if that makes sense.
Actually if i just tell my mom its a tool i need to fix the buick she will get the minivan out and im pretty sure that it would fit, its a 2011 toyota sienna

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
it sounds like they might not even deliver it to my door like i thought, but anyways if they dont deliver it to my door i think i might do the 305 and put a nice stroker kit in it, good cam, possibly in the future a turbo kit. IDK though my uncle has a truck and i can see if i can convince him to let me use it.
Most truck lines have options for residential liftgate delivery but at an added cost, the best way is if you know someone that has a shop with a hi lo and have it delivered there and then the price would be as advertised.
There is a reason most people don't waste time building a 305 especially stroking one, it was designed as an economy smog era engine and the small bore limits the performance potential that a 350 is not limited to.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Most truck lines have options for residential liftgate delivery but at an added cost, the best way is if you know someone that has a shop with a hi lo and have it delivered there and then the price would be as advertised.
There is a reason most people don't waste time building a 305 especially stroking one, it was designed as an economy smog era engine and the small bore limits the performance potential that a 350 is not limited to.
could the 305 get bored out to a 350 or is that just too much, im not sure exactly the difference between the 305 and 350 is, but im thinking its just a wider block?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
haha they wouldnt let ANY car other than my mazda 6 at my house which is why i have to keep the cars at my grandparents house, my grandpa is chill he actually used to street race (nothing serious) but he understands why i want a fast car, while my mom freaks out when i say im going to motor swap she says "DOES THAT MEAN YOU ARE GOING TO SPEED?" and tbh ive tried to sit down and talk to them and see why they dont want me to get into cars and my dads excuse is i need money for books at college. next year i AM going to a college but its a damn community college, i have a job, and i get to go free due to the missouri A+ program, but enough with the rant. i think my uncle said something like he needs the trucks brakes bled so i thought i might be able to do the brakes if he lets me use his truck (its not even his its still owned by my grandpa but he takes alot of their stuff). and for the 305 repaint, im keeping the stock, half painted half rusted look because this thing is going to be SLEEPY! haha i want to get a really quiet but good flowing exhaust just so people think im some grandma till i rip past them going 120
Understandable. The parents want to be safe, and do well in school and don't want you to get distracted by all this car nonsense. Parents just want the best for their children is all. And you best shelve that dream of having a sleeper look with the paint. If you rebuild the 305, hot tanking needed to clean the block if you bore it over. However if the engine only has 22k miles, then you might not need to do anything besides hone the cylinders, piston, rings, and cam swap and a re gasket.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
oh jeez, im thinking about just taking it from harbour freight and walking it to the house, id say its about half a mile but the problem is going to be when i have to cross a street.
You could always rent a pick up truck if you can't fit it in anything else.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor