What you need to 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
could the 305 get bored out to a 350 or is that just too much, im not sure exactly the difference between the 305 and 350 is, but im thinking its just a wider block?
No, the outside dimensions are the same as a 350 which is why everything will swap over but the bore on the 305 is small and can not be bored to 350 specs.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
No, the outside dimensions are the same as a 350 which is why everything will swap over but the bore on the 305 is small and can not be bored to 350 specs.
I think i have a plan, so im going to just use the 305, get the stroker kit for around 600 plus a cam for another 300 some new jets and ill be mint, if that motor blows im for sure getting the crate 350

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
oh jeez, im thinking about just taking it from harbour freight and walking it to the house, id say its about half a mile but the problem is going to be when i have to cross a street.
its about 100sih lbs. The hoist is closer to 200.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think i have a plan, so im going to just use the 305, get the stroker kit for around 600 plus a cam for another 300 some new jets and ill be mint, if that motor blows im for sure getting the crate 350
By the time you buy all your parts and have a machine shop do your machine work you will most likely exceed the price of the 350 crate engine and that is not counting either you assembling it or paying even more for the shop to assemble it and in the end you will have an engine that will always be limited in power because of the bore.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Don't stroke it. Save the money and put it towards other stuff like tools. Stroking a 305 is like putting NOS on a lawn mower. Just a basic rebuild with new rings, pistons (if you bore it out), cam and lifter and valve spring and timing chain kit, and what not as I said earlier.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
By the time you buy all your parts and have a machine shop do your machine work you will most likely exceed the price of the 350 crate engine and that is not counting either you assembling it or paying even more for the shop to assemble it and in the end you will have an engine that will always be limited in power because of the bore.
im getting mixed feelings about everything, TBH i might have to sell my other car and i really dont want to do that. maybe i will just get the 350 and stick with my original plan, after all i could make what was it that you said like 280 horsepower with headers and a 4 barrel?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Don't stroke it. Save the money and put it towards other stuff like tools. Stroking a 305 is like putting NOS on a lawn mower. Just a basic rebuild with new rings, pistons (if you bore it out), cam and lifter and valve spring and timing chain kit, and what not as I said earlier.
I can't imagine that it needs a rebuild he said it only has 22,000 miles.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
im getting mixed feelings about everything, TBH i might have to sell my other car and i really dont want to do that. maybe i will just get the 350 and stick with my original plan, after all i could make what was it that you said like 280 horsepower with headers and a 4 barrel?
and i heard i can put the engine into the trunk of the buick, as much as it pains me to do it because the trunk has literally never been used, it might be my only option

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Don't stroke it. Save the money and put it towards other stuff like tools. Stroking a 305 is like putting NOS on a lawn mower. Just a basic rebuild with new rings, pistons (if you bore it out), cam and lifter and valve spring and timing chain kit, and what not as I said earlier. But only go the 305 route if you truly, 100% CAN NOT get a 350, go with the 305.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Don't stroke it. Save the money and put it towards other stuff like tools. Stroking a 305 is like putting NOS on a lawn mower. Just a basic rebuild with new rings, pistons (if you bore it out), cam and lifter and valve spring and timing chain kit, and what not as I said earlier. But only go the 305 route if you truly, 100% CAN NOT get a 350, go with the 305.
alright since i already told my friend (the guy with the 56 fairlane) that im going to have a new motor within a month ill stick with the 350 :)

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor