What you need to 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I can't imagine that it needs a rebuild he said it only has 22,000 miles.
I mentioned that in a previous post. If it really only has 22k, just new rings, new stock size non dished pistons (if he wants higher comp and doesn't want to shave the heads and get shorter pushrods and have that whole debacle) and he'd be fine. I imagine the bores look almost new.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It does seem pretty overwhelming, first time building an engine, not a lot of knowledge or know how, or tools, or space... or money............
ANYWAY, we all had to start somewhere. I started out like you, no cash, nothing but limited book knowledge about the basic principles of building a V8. It will all come to you in time. Just take a step back, get a fresh notebook, and write out every thing you think you need to get the 305 out, and a 350 and a TH350 in. Fill up the whole book if you have too. There's plenty of people that have done this 100 times over on here willing to help. In the mean time, look at replacing stuff like brake components, shocks, rubber bushings, stuff like that to make the car safe with almost twice the power you have now. Of course, if the car only has 22k, just inspect the parts, replace as needed, and grease everything you can.

Reactions: 1 user

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
I mentioned that in a previous post. If it really only has 22k, just new rings, new stock size non dished pistons (if he wants higher comp and doesn't want to shave the heads and get shorter pushrods and have that whole debacle) and he'd be fine. I imagine the bores look almost new.
i may have accidentally sucked the hood liner into the engine AND didnt clean out the gas tank after it sat empty forever haha i wasnt thinking too much when i did it plus my grandpa probably sucked up a rats nest, the rat got into the air box and ripped apart a carpet, placed it in there, and called it his home

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
It does seem pretty overwhelming, first time building an engine, not a lot of knowledge or know how, or tools, or space... or money............
ANYWAY, we all had to start somewhere. I started out like you, no cash, nothing but limited book knowledge about the basic principles of building a V8. It will all come to you in time. Just take a step back, get a fresh notebook, and write out every thing you think you need to get the 305 out, and a 350 and a TH350 in. Fill up the whole book if you have too. There's plenty of people that have done this 100 times over on here willing to help. In the mean time, look at replacing stuff like brake components, shocks, rubber bushings, stuff like that to make the car safe with almost twice the power you have now. Of course, if the car only has 22k, just inspect the parts, replace as needed, and grease everything you can.
yea i need new shocks for sure because i can make the whole car shake with just my index finger

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
i may have accidentally sucked the hood liner into the engine AND didnt clean out the gas tank after it sat empty forever haha i wasnt thinking too much when i did it plus my grandpa probably sucked up a rats nest, the rat got into the air box and ripped apart a carpet, placed it in there, and called it his home
If it runs it runs. :p Just don't expect it to be a 6,000rpm screamer. It's more of a 4,000rpm wheezer.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If the 305 runs pretty good maybe just start off with adding headers and true dual exhaust, you will get an increase in power and it is something you would want when adding a 350 anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
If the 305 runs pretty good maybe just start off with adding headers and true dual exhaust, you will get an increase in power and it is something you would want when adding a 350 anyway.
I have 2300 in the bank so I could afford most of it right now

Andebe

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2017
Indiana
Don't get an aggressive cam right off the bat. Especially if the engines have low compression, which they normally do, around 8:1. It's not exactly smog era low, but don't go putting in the biggest baddest cam you can find just because it'll make the potatopotatopotato sound you want. It's better to just leave the motor as is, add your shiny valve covers or air cleaner as needed. I personally would use the one off your 305, and just repaint it black. I like that factory look. Plus you have all those vacuum lines that need hooked up to the damn thing. Don't go hog wild and tear apart a motor that's already set up to go. Buy the engine of your choice (go through somewhere reputable, like Summit or Jegs) and an engine won't be delivered to your house afaik, you'll have to have it dropped off at a parts warehouse, or hell, you can even order a crate motor through O'Reillys, Autozone, Advance, etc if you wanted too. You might even be able to talk one of the employees or the manager to have someone drop it off at your house. But be ready for it, have an engine hoist and a stand ready to go. Don't want that thing to sit on the floor do you?
Nailed that sound effect...

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I have 2300 in the bank so I could afford most of it right now
Do you have a stable job? If you don't, I'd hold off on doing anything until you get a stable income. If you do, great. Go for it. Buy tools first, then the engine, or rebuild the 305. With a peppy 305, you'll be able to keep your transmission if you put a shift kit in it (adds performance as well as extends the life of the transmission if built right. All a shift kit does is increase line pressure to an extent and shortens the time the clutches and steels are in contact with one another, giving you a quicker, firmer shift) and a new filter and pan gasket. AND BABY IT. TH200s are notorious for either being okay, or terrible. Your car has less that 25k on the odo, so your should still be in almost new condition. You can buy shift kits for TH200 transmissions, they're about 50-60 bucks. I've heard good things about B&M and Trans Go, but from what I've seen the Trans Go kits are the go-to kit, and what I'm gonna be putting in my Th350. BUT if you decide on the 350, don't even chance it. Get a short shaft (6") chevy bolt pattern (has a peak at the top of bellhousing) TH350 and stab it in there with a shift kit. Drops right in, same hookups. Might need a different kickdown cable, but that can be sorted out at a later date.

• Informative

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Does anyone know a good flare tool, I just came over to flare up the line so I don't have too much to do on Saturday but the 1/4 keeps slipping through! I have a ridgid but I guess it's not good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor