MALIBU What's going on G-Body peeps? I recently bought an 83' Malibu CL Wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That sucks about the rubber seal because it's toast. The other side is tip top.
Well, on a plus note. When you find a vent window replacement, it's pretty much a complete unit, rubber and all. If in fact the swivel shaft is broken, your best bet would be to find a replacement. Clean it up well and make sure you use some white grease on the lower shaft. The rubber isn't always in good shape. It's the luck of the draw.
You can check with Kevin (O.D.Showtime). He's the best parts source on the site, and like most of us, we recommend him highly. Plus, he's one of the nicest people you'll ever deal with. (y)(y)

Reactions: 1 users

83GWAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2020
Well, on a plus note. When you find a vent window replacement, it's pretty much a complete unit, rubber and all. If in fact the swivel shaft is broken, your best bet would be to find a replacement. Clean it up well and make sure you use some white grease on the lower shaft. The rubber isn't always in good shape. It's the luck of the draw.
You can check with Kevin (O.D.Showtime). He's the best parts source on the site, and like most of us, we recommend him highly. Plus, he's one of the nicest people you'll ever deal with. (y)(y)
Awesome, Thanks for the tip brother.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
On the vent window, be sure to check the spring on the bottom.

My '83 Malibu sedan is just like your wagon. The lower shaft on the passenger side is snapped, but not the driver side, which works fine. I went to the yard and found an '84 Cutlass sedan, pulled the vent windows and got them home, only to find the passenger side was snapped just like my Malibu. On closer inspection of these windows from the yard, the spring on the snapped passenger side was tightened absolutely as tight as it would go, whereas the driver side was not over tightened and also not snapped.

So, check how the springs are tightened. Based on my own tiny sample of 2 cars, could be someone at the factory over-tightened the passenger side but not the driver side, for some mysterious reason.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'll throw this in here, just in case you don't know....the wagon vent windows are different than the sedan vent windows, they do not interchange.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You're welcome. Nice wagon!

83GWAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2020
You're welcome. Nice wagon!
Thank you.. Back at ya! Now I have a new problem. Its rained here for 2 days. and I have some water pooling up on the passenger floorboard and some on the passenger A pillar and passenger front doorjam . I did some reading and it seems like I may have to check the seal on the heater box , windshield and doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor