MALIBU What’s happening here now

The trinary switch is easily purchased, but it needs an appropriate fitting/port in the system high side. If you don't have that available port and only the ONE typical Hi Side fitting used in the old GM vehicles than you would need something like in the PIC I posted in my earlier reply. It would use a TEE fitting that threads on to the existing Hi Press port, then has both a service fitting for the quick connect hose fitting, as well as second port for the trinary switch.

Take a picture of this fitting (see below) on your car with the CAP REMOVED so we can see if it's an r134a port only, if it's an R12 port with an adapter added on. It's not easy to tell from that angle.

If it's the original R12 hi press port, then it could likely accept that type of a TEE fitting so you can install the trinary switch, and still have the service port for the gauges hose quick connect. You see how the port on the accumulator with the BLUE cap (lo press) has an adapter that is threaded on to the original port? That's what I'm wondering if the Hi Press port has, because if someone custom made that HOSE, they may have used a r134a fitting which isn't just an adapter you can remove and replace with a TEE. The good news is there is a nice section of straight tubing from the HOSE crimp to that existing port that could easily be cut and install a compression fitting with a port for the trinary switch to thread into.

Another option could be something like an inline (o-ring) fitting that could go in between that evaporator inlet fitting that the trinary switch could then mount to like the following.
1720815239220.png

1720814154883.png

I hate to sound repetitious but, the reality is there are so many different ways to approach/correct/repair the issues you're having with the AC system, and I highly recommend you find a local shop that specializes in AC repair. They should be able to get you going with the compressor seal repairs, and trinary (or other switch configuration) to ensure your electric fans are wired properly to come on with the AC system.

Reactions: 1 users
The trinary switch is easily purchased, but it needs an appropriate fitting/port in the system high side. If you don't have that available port and only the ONE typical Hi Side fitting used in the old GM vehicles than you would need something like in the PIC I posted in my earlier reply. It would use a TEE fitting that threads on to the existing Hi Press port, then has both a service fitting for the quick connect hose fitting, as well as second port for the trinary switch.

Take a picture of this fitting (see below) on your car with the CAP REMOVED so we can see if it's an r134a port only, if it's an R12 port with an adapter added on. It's not easy to tell from that angle.

If it's the original R12 hi press port, then it could likely accept that type of a TEE fitting so you can install the trinary switch, and still have the service port for the gauges hose quick connect. You see how the port on the accumulator with the BLUE cap (lo press) has an adapter that is threaded on to the original port? That's what I'm wondering if the Hi Press port has, because if someone custom made that HOSE, they may have used a r134a fitting which isn't just an adapter you can remove and replace with a TEE. The good news is there is a nice section of straight tubing from the HOSE crimp to that existing port that could easily be cut and install a compression fitting with a port for the trinary switch to thread into.

Another option could be something like an inline (o-ring) fitting that could go in between that evaporator inlet fitting that the trinary switch could then mount to like the following.
View attachment 242475

View attachment 242474

I hate to sound repetitious but, the reality is there are so many different ways to approach/correct/repair the issues you're having with the AC system, and I highly recommend you find a local shop that specializes in AC repair. They should be able to get you going with the compressor seal repairs, and trinary (or other switch configuration) to ensure your electric fans are wired properly to come on with the AC system.
I will. Heck that out with pic to follow. I will not do this myself. Thanks for the wealth of info tho. Your great Dez

Reactions: 1 user

View attachment 242475

View attachment 242474

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Doesn't look like there's an adapter on that port, so you will need to add one for a trinary switch to be installed.

Remember the trinary is not required, it's just an alternative way to provide compressor low/high pressure safety so it never comes on with too low pressure (low on freon) or too high (fans not running, blockage, etc). Both conditions can damage the compressor. The R4 compressor you have does have that type of switch in it already, just needs that wiring/connect to be fixed.

The trinary switch does same but adds the electric fans control so you have it all in one switch rather than separately. You don't have an easy way to install one without some plumbing changes so...

If you forget about the trinary switch, then just wire up a relay so that you can make the fans turn on as soon as you turn the AC on at the dash. The switch on your compressor will just do the safety function.

Like everything else we've talked about, there's multiple ways to do this, but it depends on what you already have for fan control in place and how it's wired.

If your fans already have a relay(s) that need ground to turn on, then (like a toggle switch) you need to wire it so it gets that ground when you turn on AC. GM AC controls usually output a positive so you have to take that and using a relay convert it to a ground.

Take a look here...

HTH

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor