What's the pitman arm part# for a fast ratio gear box??

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Got an '85 Monte SS remanufactured fast ratio steering box for my '85 Cutlass (800 series, 4 bolt top). Thought they were a direct swap out on any Gbody, but I've been reading conflicting info that the hole sizes are different in the pitman arm on different models. The part# on my pitman arm is 7828464 + 3. I can't find any SS models around here or else I wouldn't ask.

Will someone with a fast ratio box please post the part number of their pitman arm?!!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You need a pitman arm from (or for) an 800 series box for a G-body car, of course. The 605 series pitman arms will not interchange with the 800 box.
Otherwise, I believe the shaft sizes are the same between 800 series steering boxes.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Thanks Longroof, I do currenlty have an 800 series in my Cutlass. I just want to feel 100% confident my pitman arm will work before I take parts off.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Pull the pitman arm from your existing box and install it on your new box...I think you should be good to go. Your hoses should also be a direct replacement. Go for it!

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Longroof 79 said:
Pull the pitman arm from your existing box and install it on your new box...I think you should be good to go. Your hoses should also be a direct replacement. Go for it!
Ya me too, I pulled my pitman arm off my Original box It has no moving parts , Reinstalled it on my IROC- Z box. Took it to the shop and set up the FT end No problems.( I also replaced all the other FT end parts at the same time). No Worries.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Longroof 79 said:
Ya me too, I pulled my pitman arm off my Original box It has no moving parts , Reinstalled it on my IROC- Z box. Took it to the shop and set up the FT end No problems.( I also replaced all the other FT end parts at the same time). No Worries.
I have a F-Body 34 MM sway bar, MY tires just barely touch the bar on Lock To Lock turns.
We road trip this car alot It drives really nice. Getting her ready for a Route 66 ride next month.Can't wait....

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 720

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
tc1959 said:
I have a F-Body 34 MM sway bar, MY tires just barely touch the bar on Lock To Lock turns.

What size tires/wheels/offset are you running? I have the 34mm bar too but I have the oddball 2.25 lock to lock box.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
G-Body_Vet said:
tc1959 said:

What size tires/wheels/offset are you running? I have the 34mm bar too but I have the oddball 2.25 lock to lock box.

he's got the Z box, same box you have and the same box I have and they all have the internal stops which gives the 2.25 lock to lock, that's why his wheels barely touch the bar...

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think I may be plagued with some rubbing action once I put my 36mm bar on. I have the Monte SS box which does not have the same stops as the WS6 box. iirc, my steering is like 2.5-2.75 turns lock to lock.
Even with my current 32mm GN bar, there's still some tell tale signs of the tires rubbing against it.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
tc1959 said:
Longroof 79 said:
So you guys convinced me, I'm goin for it! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor