Wheel Fitment Guide

The way I see it is that I can run 16x8 but will have some tire rub at lock to lock...How often will I hit lock to lock? Maybe turing into a parking space or backing out of a parking space....I usually park in back of a parking and Will take up 2 space IF i even drive the cutlass..So I'm thinking 16x8 with a 255 in the rear and a 245 in the front and a 4" backspacing.

That is a good setup and a good look. Its also a great balance of cornering and straight line performance. A lot of these guys do 20+ and then they have no sidewall and therefore no straight line traction. At least if they have anything that would accelerate they find they are on black ice. Which would suck to build a muscle car and then get beat by rice etc only because they have no traction.

hurst1979olds said:
The way I see it is that I can run 16x8 but will have some tire rub at lock to lock...How often will I hit lock to lock? Maybe turing into a parking space or backing out of a parking space....I usually park in back of a parking and Will take up 2 space IF i even drive the cutlass..So I'm thinking 16x8 with a 255 in the rear and a 245 in the front and a 4" backspacing.
yeah... that's pretty much what I decided too... The only time the rubbing has been a problem is during small autocross tracks with really tight turns.

Well I just got a set of Crager S/S's. There 15X8's with a 4.5" backspacing. I was wondering what the biggest tire I can fit on the back of a 1979 Cutlass. Without modification and major rubbing. I plan on using drag radials. Thanks in advance.

if you had gone 4" backspacing, I'd feel confident suggesting 275/60R15 tires. But with 4.5" Backspacing, I'm thinking 255/60R15s are safer... I think this is a scenerio to bust-out the tape measure and get in there...

The guy who gave them to me said they were on a Malibu with 28x10-15 drag radials. I got them with no tires. But whatever he says you got to take it with a grain of salt.

I'm finding alot of inconsistencies in my research as well... But I can tell you what I've found on my car.

the rear frame on my GP has been replaced, sitting slightly wider than stock. And so backspacing is a little tight. My 27x10.5-15 slicks are not exact to size either.
they measure 27.5" tall, and almost 13" at the sidewall buldge. They rub running on a 3.75" wheel. I've had to use spacers to bring the total backspacing down the 3" flat.

At the same time, I've seen guys run wider slicks and more backspacing, on a factory setup, with plenty of room...
... I don't get it...

I think on a best case scenerio... you'll just have to try it out

I'm thinking about going with the Cragar 500 Series Eliminators (Chrome) with 225/50/15 tires. The Cragar's come in 15x7 with 4" backspacing and 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing. I'm planning on running the Kumho 225/50/15 tires all around. My '85 Grand Prix is sitting stock with no lowering at all. Would I be on ok to go with the 15x7, 4" backspacing in the front and the 15x8, 4.5 backspacing in the rear or should I just go with the 15x7, 4" backspacing all around?

Thanks for the help.

Mount that size for fit first. You might find that is a very short small tire for 15x7 & 15x8s & the car. Stock they came with 26.0 tall. You might try 225/60/15s up front and 275/50/15 drag radials in the rear.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor