Wheel Fitment Guide

79loserbluebu said:
Anyone feel like suggesting a wheel?
I like the Rocket Velocitys... but I'm a man of keeping things unique... Too many other people have used the "Torqe Thrust" types. So I would like to see something new

See I feel the same way, but with the 15x6 TTII's I had when we got the car, it just looked right. I dont know maybe I'll photoshop each one on there or something

79loserbluebu said:
Is it just me or is this a really, really, REALLY hard choice :rofl:

I'm having an internal struggle myself.

I'm trying to decide between these Rev Classics in 17x7 & 17x9
0df0_12.jpg

Or go with the Chrome Pontiac rallye II's in 15x7 & 15x8
B6ksKWgEGkKGrHqIOKigEyVk5EgBMy5u86G_3.jpg

60series-chrome_medium.jpg

khan0165 said:
Too many other people have used the "Torqe Thrust" types. So I would like to see something new

That's what I'm put off by. Then again it's getting hard to find something classy, unique, and not 20'+ wheels.

personnally
With all the trial & fit I did ( tried at least 5 sets of different set of wheels & tires )
Id suggest 4" b/s for the best rear fit with a buldging tire .......

4.5" will rub when car subject to side centrifugal force ....

I have poly mounted tubular arms with a panhard rod ... and still at 4.5" b/s with buldging tire it would have rubbed
so imagine stock components

G-Body_Vet said:
khan0165 said:
Too many other people have used the "Torqe Thrust" types. So I would like to see something new

That's what I'm put off by. Then again it's getting hard to find something classy, unique, and not 20'+ wheels.

I'm pretty set on these...I'm not concerned how many have used them and there's not that many cars out there now with these. Bottom line is I like them. I have 4" backspace now with 245-50-16 tires. The front use to hit the sway bar on a full turn but I run a Z steering box now so no more rubbing

mVC2054.jpg

I found a set of rims I want and I can get them any backspacing I want. I can get either 15x8 or 16x8. Id like to use the 16x8. Id also like to put a 255 tire on the back. My car is stock height. I may want to lower it 1" at one time. But I also dont want any tire rub in the back. If the front rubs at lock that isnt bad because Id like to drive the car without limitations to steering. Any help on what sice back spacing and what size tire I could put on either of those rim sizes would be greatly appriciated.

I have 16x8 IROC wheels off a 80s Camaro... They come with too much backspacing, so I am using spacers. I believe between 4.5" and 4" is a safe amount of backspacing.

I am using 245/50R16s, I believe they are only 25.6" tall... the 255/50R16s aren't much taller... and both will clear with plenty of room... even with a drop.

just watch your backspacing...

in the front, I would keep it down to 225s or 235s on some 16x7 wheels, instead of 16x8s... my 245s have alot of rubbing issues.

Now what if I had a 3.75 backspacing with a 245 on the 16x8. Would that work. Or maybe running a 235 on the 16x8? What do you think about that.

I'd keep it in the 4" backspacing range... front and back...

running wide tires in the front is tricky because with 3.75 BS, it might hit the fender skirts, and 4.5 BS is too far in and it hits the inner fender at full lock.

my IROCs have 5.25" BS, and with a 1" spacer, it is 4.25" BS... with 245 tires, it rubs the inner fender and hits the tie-rod. I don't mind the tire rub, but the wheel hitting the tie-rod is not fun...

here's some good views to show how 16x8s stack up with 245 tires...

front:
n505911837_889266_4118.jpg

rear:
n505911837_889271_2091.jpg

you can see how the rears could stand to be pushed out more (with less than 4" BS)... but the fronts are really close to the fender skirt (much less than 4" and they start scraping the skirt).

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor