Whelp..... progress? Hellcat engine to cease production after 2023 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Exactly.

Why do you think plastic surgery is so popular out there? It's to reform the mutations so they can try to fit in.

Scary part is. Havent you heard how many of their residents have moves to the inherent 49 states?

It's sleeper cells. The invasion has begun!
boy-aint-right.gif

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Better containment shells, Mark 1s have weak containment shells that 100% failed to contain the overpressurizations they are supposed to contain. Thus they ruptured from a buildup of hydrogen. In short, the mark 1s could not withstand major accidents as well as they should have and are less robust than better reactor designs. Hell, GE even marketed mark 1s as low cost reactor partly due to the less expensive containment shells. This doesn't absolve TEPCO of responsibility who should prevented such accidents, but GE is not innocent either as leaked internal memos reveal they were aware of design issues.
Just jumping in here - and I'm probably missing the point, but the Mark 1 containment failed beyond it's design pressure (and thereby met design goals). In the US, a rupture type vent was installed as a back-fit per GE "being aware of the issue", and this was not done in Japan. The Mark 1 containment is really quite dumb looking; the Mark 2 functions the same using a pool instead of a torus. Regardless, containment is meant to contain a steam blow-down, not a combustion event.

The best containment wouldn't survive a hydrogen detonation - that is why provisions are made to recombine or vent the H2. Can't blame the containment here. Siting? Maybe. Seawall? Maybe. Pinch a penny mentality? Maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I respectfully disagree with 'utilities must consider costs'. Profits are their primary concern, whereas a military type operation has little to no concern of cost. The main concern is to obtain the desired outcome. I'm basing this off from the usual program of excuses to raise the price of energy that stem from fabricated sources. And I have rarely seen an energy supplier not pass on real expenses to the consumer.

Kind of like the natural gas situation in the northeast, mostly PA. Those fighting for the production describe all of the benefits that we want to hear about - good for local economy, cheaper and local energy for us. But very few of the facts about the gas production are common knowledge. The largest one being who is going to benefit from the production? The answer lies within where the pipelines are taking the gas - to the shore to be exported.

Considering that the Marcellus Shale has been stated to be the largest gas reserve in the world, why aren't we building electric cogeneration plants to power our EV's? Short answer - follow the money (same as always.)

One natural gas power plant was recently built outside of Johnstown pa on the mariner east line.

Two coal fired plants are slated to shut down in coming years. Hopefully the gas plant can cover the loss.

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I don't understand why it has to be all or nothing sort of tunnel vision mentality from the government and its populist. In any given situation, being diversified makes any situation more sustainable and fail proof. Energy is BIG, its everything, and if it FAILS, the United States is a sitting duck. Look back at what happened to Texas this year with the big freeze, and electrical failure, Just imagine all EV in that mix!

I know big oil has run the show for a long time, and behind the scenes influences what the EPA sets MPG regulation at. There is NO WAY you can go from a 1982 Malibu carbureted v6 getting 24 mpg on trips ( I HAD ONE I KNOW!) to a 2020 whatever tuna can you would like to pick, with fuel injection getting about the same to perhaps 30 MPG?!! Vehicles TODAY running on strictly gasoline should be getting 50 to 70 MPG EASILY with the technologies at hand, but again, suppression.

I guess to wrap this all together, Big oil, big government, has failed us once again, and now they try to push yet another failure into the mix to fix the ones we already have. NO THANKS! How about throwing in common sense for once!!

Another tid bit for thought, everyone is so worried about global warming, please show me an electric motor that didn't emit HEAT! :blam:

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Common sense left all of the buildings in Washington a long time ago, unfortunately.

Somewhere around the Eisenhower administration imo.

blk7gxn I owned a 78 4 speed Rabbit that got low 40’s and hauled *ss (for a 4 cylinder).

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I don't understand why it has to all or nothing sort of tunnel vision mentality from the government and its populist. In any given situation, being diversified makes any situation more sustainable and fail proof. Energy is BIG, its everything, and if it FAILS, the United States is a sitting duck. Look back at what happened to Texas this year with the big freeze, and electrical failure, Just imagine all EV in that mix!

I know big oil has run the show for a long time, and behind the scenes influences what the EPA sets MPG regulation at. There is NO WAY you can go from a 1982 Malibu carbureted v6 getting 24 mpg on trips ( I HAD ONE I KNOW!) to a 2020 whatever tuna can you would like to pick, with fuel injection getting about the same to perhaps 30 MPG?!! Vehicles TODAY running on strictly gasoline should be getting 50 to 70 MPG EASILY with the technologies at hand, but again, suppression.

I guess to wrap this all together, Big oil, big government, has failed us once again, and now they try to push yet another failure into the mix to fix the ones we already have. NO THANKS! How about throwing in common sense for once!!

Another tid bit for thought, everyone is so worried about global warming, please show me an electric motor that didn't emit HEAT! :blam:
My 4100 pound 2017 Challenger GT AWD gets around 30 mpg US highway. Our 2004 Corolla 1.8 5spd 4 door got nearly 50 mpg US. Now the 96 Toyota Tercel 1.5 3 spd auto was a tin can. New vehicles have improved in power, emissions and mpg. Even that 96 Tercel would have dusted your Malibu, 100 hp in a 2000 pound car isn't so bad off the line. What hasn't improved is most new car styling. Most new vehicles look like the Blind designed them or are trying to intentionally assault our eyes.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
H
My 4100 pound 2017 Challenger GT AWD gets around 30 mpg US highway. Our 2004 Corolla 1.8 5spd 4 door got nearly 50 mpg US. Now the 96 Toyota Tercel 1.5 3 spd auto was a tin can. New vehicles have improved in power, emissions and mpg. Even that 96 Tercel would have dusted your Malibu, 100 hp in a 2000 pound car isn't so bad off the line. What hasn't improved is most new car styling. Most new vehicles look like the Blind designed them or are trying to intentionally assault our eyes.
Heck, look what a tuned up chevy II with the 194 inline was getting for mpgs... that was upper 20s low 30s right there.

One of my fieros, an 87 with the DIS ignition in an iron Duke was in the 40s mpg.

Fuel mileage was always there. Just not the butt dyno. You know what REALLY hurts fuel mileage?

The BIGGER wheels and tires that have taken over. Also a common thread between the tincan tercel was its 13 or 14" wheels, not the 18. 19. 20 or bigger that even cars get these days.

• Agree

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Agree, I swear they design them to make us drive past the dealership!

• Agree
  • Haha

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Agree, I swear they design them to make us drive past the dealership!

Common sense left all of the buildings in Washington a long time ago, unfortunately.

Somewhere around the Eisenhower administration imo.

blk7gxn I owned a 78 4 speed Rabbit that got low 40’s and hauled *ss (for a 4 cylinder).
I always liked the looks of those little Rabbits, I seen one recently at a car show a few years back, it was some sort of sport model, with MK or GTI on it, Looked really good in gun metal grey and the amber lights in the front. And look at the one you had, late 70's pulling 40+MPG, and fast forward the automobile industry 40 years and cars are getting the same or less MPG!?? Its like they DELIBERATLY railroaded MPG, and most did because BIG oil was back dooring the EPA ect ect....

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Just jumping in here - and I'm probably missing the point, but the Mark 1 containment failed beyond it's design pressure (and thereby met design goals). In the US, a rupture type vent was installed as a back-fit per GE "being aware of the issue", and this was not done in Japan. The Mark 1 containment is really quite dumb looking; the Mark 2 functions the same using a pool instead of a torus. Regardless, containment is meant to contain a steam blow-down, not a combustion event.

The best containment wouldn't survive a hydrogen detonation - that is why provisions are made to recombine or vent the H2. Can't blame the containment here. Siting? Maybe. Seawall? Maybe. Pinch a penny mentality? Maybe.

The problem is the containment shells are undersized for the energy output of Mark 1s Futhermore, when Mark 1s were originally designed they didn't know hydrogen gasses could build up inside the shells after an accident nor were they designed to vent. Even with a vent retrofit, the shells are not designed to flow gasses to the vent, ie poor flow. When the shells ruptured in Japan, the hydrogen pressure was already falling before the vents were opened because the shells were likely already leaking around the caps, sort of like a lifted engine head. From what I read TEPCO supposedly did install GE design retrofit vents. Sometimes retrofits are not enough.

Simple thing is they installed shoty reactors in a highly vulnerable location with poor planning. It was never going to end well. I am not anti nuclear, but Mark 1s are just not good reactors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor