Whelp..... progress? Hellcat engine to cease production after 2023 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sooner or later you old boys will realize all motors are just fancy air pumps, the LS version is just plentiful and cheap with good bang for the buck and computers make them more efficient.
I got three 6.2L engines, but they're all where they belong right now. LS are dropping out of the sky right now, and some of the swaps are done as if GM did it themselves. I even applaud the fact they build LS swap kits now, knowing how popular that kind of thing is. I'll let everyone else play with their LS engines swapping them into everything else, though. I just don't have the desire to swap an LS into any of my G-bodies. Simple as that. It's not that I can't. It's that I won't.

Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The supply of cheap LS are running low in some areas now. Too many people keep blowing them up with cheap Ebay turbos or crappy tunes and repeating it over and over exhausting the local supply. Plus many yards prefer to send newer engines right to smelters rather than sell them to customers. Also heard yards tend to prefer to sell them online rather than in person for greater markup as well as gangs of scalpers who filp engines online.

Surprised no one mentioned woodgas for fueling ICE. I seen pictures of an El Camino with a woodgas generator.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The supply of cheap LS are running low in some areas now. Too many people keep blowing them up with cheap Ebay turbos or crappy tunes and repeating it over and over exhausting the local supply. Plus many yards prefer to send newer engines right to smelters rather than sell them to customers. Also heard yards tend to prefer to sell them online rather than in person for greater markup as well as gangs of scalpers who filp engines online.

Surprised no one mentioned woodgas for fueling ICE. I seen pictures of an El Camino with a woodgas generator.
I've thought about doing something with an inline in a pickup truck, boiler in the bed, WWII style

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would say 5.3 are the only cheap and plentiful LS around here. The 4.8, 6.0 and 6.2 don't come up for sale very often, the 4.8 and 6.2 especially. Obviously swappers want the big ones and they are more money.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Forgive me if I wright something here that already has been written, not going to sit here and read 16 pages.

Another, I'm all for new technologies, as long as they are safe, economical and make SENSE!

For one, I get amused how the government spends millions and even BILLIONS at times on studies on environmental implications such as cargo ships and what implications they have on the breeding habits of sea organisms and creatures, and so on and so on ( you get my gist) yet when it comes to humans, it seems we are replaceable!! How about doing a study on EMF radiation that will be blazing through our families and ourselves as we drive these EV piles, cancer risk and so forth. Nope, our Government is all about show, so we can all have that good warm feeling in our heart when we go to bed at night, knowing we saved the planet bullsh*t.

This entire thing is rushed and technologies aren't there yet to be feasible for replacement of the internal combustion engine. The glass battery is still being developed and will be able to charge in less time then it takes you to fill your fuel tank with petroleum., GOD forbid we wait just a few years for that, The entire thing reminds me of the Tucker car story...the car that was displayed for the world to see wasn't ready and didn't even have a drivetrain ready to put in it, kind of like this scenario, hurry up and push inferior products out the door to look good and waist recourses and money, "got to look good on the world stage" at any cost, even human life. Just wait, you will see these batteries start exploding in crashes and take out city blocks, just wait! I hope the populist sues the HELL out of the idiots who forced this upon us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
The glass battery is still being developed and will be able to charge in less time then it takes you to fill your fuel tank with petroleum., GOD forbid we wait just a few years for that,

From what I've been reading, that's crackpot vaporware, despite the prior reputation of its "inventor." Defies known physics. Don't hold your breath.

Toyota has been working on a solid state battery for several years now. They were rumored to be nearing production. Then it turned out that when you actually try to use them they melt, i.e., no longer solid state.

Remember the first proposals for hydrogen fuel cells? You were going to fill your tank with water, which would be split into oxygen and hydrogen on the fly, the hydrogen would power an electric motor, and then the oxygen and hydrogen would be recombined into water and returned to the tank with minimal loss. Except it turned out that no one knows how to split or recombine the water without consuming far more energy than is produced to power the motor.

Or fusion. The Energy Dept thinks it's going to fund a big expensive project that somehow is going to make fusion work. Except that to this day no one has come up with any plausible ideas for how to make a fusion reactor produce anything even close to the amount of energy it consumes.

Carbon capture is also pretty dubious.

In general, be skeptical.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Lithium Metal battery supposedly is now possible and just was made possible recently. It should significantly extend battery life. I know Hydrogen cell technology is actually useable with functional in cars with regenerative braking. They are currently Hybrid with some batteries for storage and hard acceleration. They actually use concentrated Hydrogen and fill in 5 minutes. Add infrastructure, put pumps at the gas station. Hydrogen and EV's should slowly be added, not rip off the bandaid and hope we don't bleed to death. Honestly filling with straight water in Canadian Winters sound like a nightmare anyways. Just trying to keep water from freezing in a cement mixer sucked. You basically have to put in the water near boiling and insulate everything. As said, current technology can't pull enough energy out of straight water instantly and may never be possible.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Or fusion. The Energy Dept thinks it's going to fund a big expensive project that somehow is going to make fusion work. Except that to this day no one has come up with any plausible ideas for how to make a fusion reactor produce anything even close to the amount of energy it consumes.
Pfft. Old news. They already did that phase. First known use was in 1979, but seemed to go out of favor and production after 1985. It sorta worked, but apparently didn't catch on. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Pfft. Old news. They already did that phase. First known use was in 1979, but seemed to go out of favor and production after 1985. It sorta worked, but apparently didn't catch on. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

They did try those again a few years back in 2015. Still didn't pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor