Where to put he PCV valve Buick 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
On my used cast iron 4 barrel intake, it came with a grommet in the back of the intake for a PCV valve. Wen I got the intake back from the machine shop, they gave me a pcv valve. Does it matter if it goes on the intake or the valve cover? Does that mean I could run a breather on the VC and the PCV on the intake? The intake is from an early 70s buick 350 with divorced choke. Engine is a 1976, was a two barrel.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I prefer the intake so as to get a good suction where it matters- the crank case. Every time I see an open breather on the VC, it seems it leaks oil. Remember, the factory used a two stage PCV system. The intake sucked blowby gasses whenever there was good manifold vacuum, which is most of the time. BUT, when the manifold vacuum drops to nothing at WOT or other times, then the breather plumbed from the VC to the air cleaner takes over since there is good velocity through the carb. Without the air cleaner connection the blowby has nowhere to go but out the VC breather taking oil with it. The factory used that little foam oil separator in the air cleaner line to catch the oil before it could foul the carb. Obviously a tight motor will blow less, and a sloppy motor more.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree. I'm sure Buick put it in back of the intake for a reason.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Is there a place I can buy the little oil catching thing for the air cleaner? Is it like a specialty part? I do not have the factory air cleaner. I want to get the big old black housing for that stock look.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Pretty common item. Go on RockAuto and search for this- "BUICK 1976 LESABRE 5.7L 350cid V8 Emission Crankcase Breather Element". Some as low as $.25!
236_PUROLATOR_AF9_1__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
so does that mean i need two pcv valves?

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
so does that mean i need two pcv valves?
Negative Ghostrider. The pcv valve goes into the intake and on my V6, the hose from the PCV valve goes to front of the carburetor. The other side of this system is a short piece of hose that connects a valve cover (passenger side for me) to a breather filter in the air cleaner.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Negative Ghostrider. The pcv valve goes into the intake and on my V6, the hose from the PCV valve goes to front of the carburetor. The other side of this system is a short piece of hose that connects a valve cover (passenger side for me) to a breather filter in the air cleaner.
Oh, gotcha. I keep forgetting I still got my '6 around to look at for reference.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I found this on summit, same thing. Might order that one from rock auto along with a water and fuel pump for my engine, maybe even a timing cover if they're cheap. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hht-cb14/overview/make/buick
I have never seen this thing before in my life, where does it go exactly? I know it goes somewhere on in the factory air cleaner housing, I just don't know where.

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
It goes inside the factory air cleaner on the passenger side.held together with a "U"clip. Then a hose from it into the valve cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor