which body bushings should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
I ordered the engery 3-4141G kit for the cutlass, black of course..

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
jiho said:
ssbrewskyaz said:
As stated, and supported by GM Service Information, published torques are dry unless otherwise stated.

Service Manual | General Information | Cautions and Notices | Introduction |

Not disputing the point, but which manual is that from? I have three GM shop manuals, '83 Chevy plus '83 and '84 Buick, and I don't see that in any of them. (If I'd seen that, it would have saved a lot of blather.)

And ...? And ...? What is the source for your source?

I'm serious now. I've not yet seen an actual GM source for this, actually cited in any manner that is actually identifiable. I'd really like to know.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp6103.pdf

Component Fastener Tightening Notice
Notice: Replacement components must be the correct
part number for the application. Components requiring
the use of the thread-locking compound, lubricants,
corrosion inhibitors, or sealants are identified in the
service procedure. Some replacement components
may come with these coatings already applied. Do not
use these coatings on components unless specified.
These coatings can affect the final torque, which may
affect the operation of the component. Use the correct
torque specifications when installing components in
order to avoid damage.

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfl ... SVSM06.pdf

Fastener Notice
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location.
Replacement fasteners must be the correct part
number for that application. Fasteners requiring
replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread
locking compound or sealant are identified in the
service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or
corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint
surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect
fastener torque and joint clamping force and may
damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening
sequence and specifications when installing fasteners
in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
That's all well and good, but one of those is 2001 and the other is 2006. What does either have to do with the 1980s?

I've looked for that kind of statement in the material from the '80s. No one else can come up with anything there either, I take it.

So we're really all still left reading between the lines and applying common sense based on what we can find out about particular fasteners, and their specs as particular fasteners in particular situations.

I might add as a footnote, for them to now tell people not to treat threads is ridiculous. The one statement I do have from GM (Buick) in the '80s is the warning that dry threads make torque readings unreliable.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Keep forgetting to get back in the service manual so I can quote you chapter and verse. The weekends come and go so damned fast I'm lucky if I get anything done on the car.

If it's any consolation, I was writing service manuals for General Motors in the late 80's early 90's. We always assumed the threads were dry with the exception of otherwise stated i.e. cylinder head bolts etc.. I wrote owner manuals, service manuals, did labor time studies, technical assistance, service development, parts and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other misc jobs I did.

I have forty years with GM this year, thirtyfive of which has been is service. Not that you need or care about my creds, but I've had some of these conversations with folks regarding what the plants did or didn't do back in the 70's and 80's. Usually they are so in denial I refuse to even go there any more. Fortunately, things have changed considerably and we now have the best quality in the industry. ...

Scott, ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :roll:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I'm not worried about your cred now, I'm worried about GM's cred in 1983! :mrgreen:

But seriously .... I suspect that if GM spelled this out then, it must have been in some publication of a more generic nature that I don't have, because I don't see it in the car line shop manuals.

Meanwhile, for these body mount bolts, the spec must be dry, because the cars were designed for Class 10.9 and 52 lb-ft would certainly be dry for 10.9.

(How my car came to have 12.8 remains a mystery, since GM had already disowned 12.8 over two years prior, and SAE was preparing to do the same even as my car was making its way down the assembly line.)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
jiho said:
I'm not worried about your cred now, I'm worried about GM's cred in 1983! :mrgreen:

But seriously .... I suspect that if GM spelled this out, it must have been in some publication of a more generic nature that I don't have, because I don't see it in the car line shop manuals.

Meanwhile, for these body mount bolts, the spec must be dry, because the cars were designed for Class 10.9 and 52 lb-ft would certainly be dry for 10.9.

(How my car came to have 12.8 remains a mystery, since GM had already disowned 12.8 over two years prior, and SAE was preparing to do the same even as my car was making its way down the assembly line.)

there is no need to say dry, it's understood that if there need to be lubrication the type of lubrication will be stated as different lubrication will affect the torque differently. Do you also question the bolts and nuts on GM cars since GM never give the designation of right hand threads in their service manuals? They don't state everything in the manuals, they assume people will have a basic knowledge of the specs

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
In attempting to rationalize this, you seem to assume that it can ever possibly make sense to actually use dry threads.

ve3oky

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2012
Ontario Canada
jiho said:
In attempting to rationalize this, you seem to assume that it can ever possibly make sense to actually use dry threads.

This has thread lubrication stuff had been explained to you correctly multiple times in multiple ways. This thread needs to die or be locked.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
ve3oky said:
This has thread lubrication stuff had been explained to you correctly multiple times in multiple ways. This thread needs to die or be locked.

I certainly agree with you about the thread, long since already. In any case, the original issue I had with my bolts was resolved.

But about the "correct" explanation .... Why, then, did GM feel the need to spell this out in more recent manuals, where they didn't back in the '80s? And why did they go off the deep end, claiming one should never treat dry threads unless one has written permission from GM? Where does one even buy dry bolts, should one be fool enough to pay any attention to this "correct" explanation?

These questions drove my last comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor