Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Spohn performance or umi?
Both are made in pa
Spohn is 15miles away and I can pick them up
Umi is almost 300 more
Spohn's lower a arms look much more beefier
At this point being brand loyal hurts the bank. If I order directly from Umi I have to pay tax and shipping. Even if I had to have Spohn ship its free. And yes I still have to pay tax.
So far I have Umi sway bars, Eibach pro kit that lowers 1inch all around, Massive speed systems rear control arms. I had to order the umi sway bars off ebay from a dealer so I didn't have to pay taxes and it was 15 cheaper. So what say the hive?
SPOHN OR UMI??

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I'm thinking of the UMI rear coilover system for my GP! What I like is the green Monte using the components at a track!

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
I just cant afford the coil over setup right now plus I for got too mention I have kyb gas-a-just shocks as well. Maybe after I recoup from my spending and I see how she does I might go to adjustable coil overs and sell the springs and shocks I have now but I gotta see if I will be happy with what I am doing now. I would love a road trip the Blue Ridge Parkway in Va this fall just to take on a few sections and also 130 that connects Natural Bridge to Big island Va. Great sharp winding rds just begging to be carved. I love them on my bobber. Yes I ride 5hrs away on a hardtail motocycle just to run some twists. My panhead has a 96ci with a 5speed trans and it sticks to the ground. My chopper with a 80ci evo is fun but I dig my pan more. I really think and hope the ride will be ok with the kyb shocks, I was told by several friends to get the bilsteins but thats 400 and I want to rebuild the steering as well. Come on guys help me choose....

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Why not go for the ones at gbodyparts.com, i just got a pair and they look like they are well made. BWeavy is a good guy to deal with.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
At one point they where high on my list, and yes a bit cheaper. I guess I wanted to see and touch them 1st? Plus Spohn is less then 15miles away from me. And being from Pennsylvania I felt a sense of loyalty to buy from a Pennsylvania company. Umi has nice parts and they look great. But come on why should g body a arms cost so much? Why is it companies feel theneed to bend us over for g body parts? You can buy a body a arms as a set for 350 to 400 from the same companies. And if you add the cost of materials how can they possibly justify a arms that cost over a grand? Ok so you buy at Carlisle and you get 10 percent off.... really? You still have 6 percent sales tax. So where is the savings? But we are at their mercy... so that being the case the spohn performance a arms cost under 800 a set and from the u tube videos you can tell they are rock soild. Cheaper arms do not have the reinforcement like that from what I can see and since its so hard to tell from the little pics they post at least from the u tube videos I can see the level of detail they have went threw to make them. I know I sound horrible and some mite not like what I say but its how I feel. A American made product should not cost as much as these a arms do. And why do they cost so much? Because companies know us dedicated guys will spend the cash. I like the fact that I got to talk to someone at spohn and instead of them shipping I was told to come on down and check out the place. Now thats cool. Oh and before some guys get upset with me I am a machinist and I am a certified structural welder. I grew up in welding and machine work. So I understand production work and I currently own my own machine shop where I specialize in prototype machining. I also have my own welding / fab shop to assist my work. When I started turning on a lathe I wanted to make it all but I was told if you can add your time involved to make something and the frustration most times its cheaper to buy them already made. If I had a chevelle or camaro these arms would be alot cheaper. The ones on gbody parts are cheaper and I wanted them but pa has bad roads and when these arms go on I want to not worry. I could be wrong they could be just as nice but my end game came down to umi or spohn and since this took a week and since the spohn a arms are almost 300 cheaper plus pa made and waiting till june to save 10 percent just doesn't seem like a winner. You would think a company would give a really nice discount if you were spending alot at one time well Spohn is. They take over 40 off there set right from the start. What I like also is the bottom a arms are fully welded and reinforced not like other companies were the cup is welded to 3 sides. We have pot holes that eat school buses for lunand the times my lovely wife wants to show off and drive the cutty I don't want to worry when she hits one. Because my wife will. Ugh sorry for ranting but this whole a arm thing has bugged me for weeks and I can say it shows commitment to spend the money we do on our g bodis to do the upgrades like this because we are treated like a redheaded step child when buying certain parts. And I am grateful for you sharing and if you don't mind would you show some pics of them? Maybe there is someone who would like to see a good pic showing the workmanship, I know I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor