Why Did I Ever Build a Small Block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
big blocks have their pros and cons just like the small blocks, it all depends on what someone is looking for.... if I was to build the engine of my liking it wouldn't be a big block or a small block, it would be a 455SD...:)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
plmberkevin said:
Sbc 400 good heads and cam Great pwr and less weight = Faster car
Bbc 049, 781 heads and cam = faster car :lol:

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good Morning Guys; Here we go ( 9 pages +) LS vs oldschool. But this back an froth is the fun, entertaining & educational. So what compression is the 79 stock 454? And you're running propane? That's an interesting combo. I can't say that I won't build myself another SBC since I own 2 yet (one being the 9C1 Brown Brick). The goddess of hot rodding had to drag me away from my love of BB Chevys kick'in & scream'in @ 7200 RPM. But during the 80s & 90s it just made more sense to drive High torque SBs (if you call 450-500Lbs hi torque). Tire technology just has & had a tough time hooking up more 500 Lbs of torque and have some traction in the rain. All the wile staying together at sustained speeds over a hundred on a HOT summer day. I will not even consider all season (MUD & SNOW) tires on my hot rod. Look at the side wall of your tires, I know many like their BFG's, but they have no traction and a speed rating of 118 MPH or less. So that takes us back to engines and the miles we get to enjoy our cars. This is the reason I migrated away from drag racing, I wanted to drive my car more. And that says SB Chevy because I wanted my car to turn & stop. So every pound I could get off the front end counted. From this LMA (late middle aged) ol'e hot rodder my advice is get yourself an all aluminum (including the block) push rod engine and enjoy the hell out of it. Even if you are just drag racing you still want to reduce the weight on the nose. And when you bring money into the equation that changes everything. Human nature takes over and you end up runn'in what you find that's in your budget at the time. Keep the hammer down Bob Jr.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know when you bought your last set of BFG's but they have come a long way. I have the BFG G force super comp 2 will buy them again when this set wears out...

maven

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2013
A cast iron BB is just too much weight in the nose of an A/G for me to enjoy driving, Ill b sticking with SBs.

Hell Ive been contemplating an ECOTEC build for a long time now(315lbs fully dressed how can you go wrong)....hows that for a fire starter? :rofl:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
I don't know when you bought your last set of BFG's but they have come a long way. I have the BFG G force super comp 2 will buy them again when this set wears out...
I think he's talking about the Radial T/As. In that case he's probably right :D

maven said:
A cast iron BB is just too much weight in the nose of an A/G for me to enjoy driving, Ill b sticking with SBs.

Hell Ive been contemplating an ECOTEC build for a long time now(315lbs fully dressed how can you go wrong)....hows that for a fire starter? :rofl:
The Big block obviously weighs more but with different springs and shocks I gotta believe it would be a blast to drive and the handling wouldn't be much different than a small block. Not too mention the torque. An ECOTEC would be cool for an Auto Cross car or something like that but you would never see me in one :lol: It would still be cool to see someone do it.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Hi Guys; Mr. Escaped_Psyco see what you started now. And Mr. pontiacgp, I really like your coffee attachment. I also have that G Force Sport on the front and it is harder (340 tread wear) than I'd like. I shouldn't group all BFG tires onto one group, I was referring to TAs with 400 tread wear with mud & snow side wall markings. I would be more inclined to try the g-Force Rival with a 200 tread wear rating. General rule of thumb the lower the tread wear # the better the traction. My ol'e work car a near stock 2005 GuTOo (400 Lbs of torque), I had been running some Dunlops with 300 a tread wear and they had good traction. But I put some Dunlops with a 200 tread wear rating on late this summer and WOW what a difference. I wish that one of he tire company's would make soft (160-200) 15" tires without having to go clear down to drag radials (0 - 80 tread wear). Great argument for 17" wheels! So Mr. maven how much torque does a little ECOTEC have? The total weight seems to be right on. A good choice for a Vega - Monza or a Chevette. What's the least expensive & lightest way to make 400 to 450 Lbs of torque? Bob Jr.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I know the lower the rating the sticker the tire but my car is a DD so I like to keep some money for beer and wings (and coffee) instead of going through a couple of sets of tires in the summer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor