Why do so many frown upon swapping Chevy engines into Olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Re: Why do so many frown upon swapping Chevy engines into Ol

The Gen 1 Vortec small block only came in two sizes, 305 and 350, or 5.0 and 5.7 Liters. The 5.3 is an LS engine.

All of the rotating assembly is 100% interchangeable with the 87-up roller cam small blocks. You can also just use the Vortec block and run a regular cam and lifters in it if you want to (but why would you do that?)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

KrisW said:
The Gen 1 Vortec small block only came in two sizes, 305 and 350, or 5.0 and 5.7 Liters. The 5.3 is an LS engine.

All of the rotating assembly is 100% interchangeable with the 87-up roller cam small blocks. You can also just use the Vortec block and run a regular cam and lifters in it if you want to (but why would you do that?)
There is a vortec 5300. There is also a Gen IV 5300.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL

Vortec is a name used for GM corporate piston engines. As it refers to the Gen 1 small block, there is only Vortec 5000 (305) and 5700 (350)

The 4800, 5300, 6000, and 6200 are all LS-series engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine

The above link is not my favorite reference, but the easiest to lay down all the info in one shot.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL

Maybe I have asked this already...even in this thread. Guess I am lazy, and LATE for work!!! But due to the L31 technically being a Gen 1 small-block, it should bolt right up to a 200r4 correct?

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL

It will bolt to MOST 2004R, but not all. In the beginning of the run, from 1982-1984, there were many 2004R transmissions that were made that were Buick-Olds-Pontiac (BOP) pattern only. From the beginning in 1982 until 1990, most 2004R were cast with both BOP and Chevy bolt patterns together. I have had two of the BOP only transmissions, both of which came in early 80's Delta 88 cars with the 307 engine. All of the G-bodies that had the 2004R that I have pulled were always the multi-pattern case.

If your transmission fits an old small block chevy, then it fits the late model Vortec 350. End of story.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL

KrisW said:
It will bolt to MOST 2004R, but not all. In the beginning of the run, from 1982-1984, there were many 2004R transmissions that were made that were Buick-Olds-Pontiac (BOP) pattern only. From the beginning in 1982 until 1990, most 2004R were cast with both BOP and Chevy bolt patterns together. I have had two of the BOP only transmissions, both of which came in early 80's Delta 88 cars with the 307 engine. All of the G-bodies that had the 2004R that I have pulled were always the multi-pattern case.

If your transmission fits an old small block chevy, then it fits the late model Vortec 350. End of story.

Thanks! Gonna hit the junkyard and look for an L31 this weekend! I'm sure I am safe on the 200r4 front. It is for my 87 Cutlass 442. :mrgreen:

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL

I do know I would like to get a 383 for the cutlass. My question is, would I be better off, finding a junkyard vortec 5700, getting an eagle rotating assembly, and having all the machine work done? Or would I be better off getting a zz383 crate motor? I would imagine the junkyard route would be the way to go. If I intended on getting an entirely different rotating assembly and aluminum heads, would I be better off just getting the bare block from the junkyard without the rotating assembly? I did the math on the parts, and it seems to be cheaper than just buying a crate motor. But it all comes down to how much all the machine work will cost...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

That depends. Can you build the engine? If you cant then getting the crate would be best for you since it comes complete.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

I would probably do a crate anyway if you can find one in your price range. I like warranties. I have experience with GM's crate engine warranties and they were top notch, no bs. However like monte ss said, if you can build your own do it. You will probably save a few bucks and if you're confident in your workmanship and the machine shops work then you will be good to go.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL

CHRIS.O said:
I would probably do a crate anyway if you can find one in your price range. I like warranties. I have experience with GM's crate engine warranties and they were top notch, no bs. However like monte ss said, if you can build your own do it. You will probably save a few bucks and if you're confident in your workmanship and the machine shops work then you will be good to go.

I'm confident in building it so long as the machining is all done correctly. But if it would be the same price to have a stronger Eagle etc. rotating assembly and build it myself, I'd rather do that. I do like the ZZ383 crate motor offered by GMPP, but wondered what hp the block can handle, especially if I decide to supercharge down the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor