Why everyone is putting Chevy's in the off brands!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
dan2286 said:
1evilregal said:
I don't have a problem with you purists, as it's nice to see some original cars, but please,please, quit ramming your opinions down my throat :puke: .... that's the problem I have do have with you purists....

What do you think us purists have to go through? We aren't just gonna let people talk down to us with out defending ourselves.

I know I will be happy with my running, low mileage Olds 350 and trans that I picked up for $400. Plus, it should have around 350 ft. lbs. of torque with over 200 h.p. in stock form :banana:

dude,

I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong... believe me, I'd love to have my regal buick powered,but finding a good sbb around here for a reasonable price is a fruitless effort, and I don't have the $$$ for a rebuild and machine work/transmission to go with it... I had this engine/trans already and ready to go, so I used it... I'm not saying my chevy engine is superior to a bop engine, in any way... it's just the cheapest route I had in front of me....

the only thing I was ragging about, was that purists seem to knock anyone who run something isnt original, or another brand in a certain mark... some people build to be different, some people build with what they can afford... can't we at least agree about the love we all have in common for our cars?

Darin

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
to each his own, i have never looked down on any motor in any car and never will period. i like b-o-p, i just know chevys. this is worse then polotics! the only argument to the b-o-p guys is my main objuective is to make my old cars more modern, b-o-p never had efi....

you wanna hear something cool, my buddy saw a hurst olds the other day that had a grand national driveline in it, yea a buick in a olds, never a harsh word about it, we all sat there talking about how insane that car must be with the GN motor in it.......

everyone likes something else chevy ford pontiac or even a kia, as long as someone builds their CUSTOM car the way they want it and not how everyone else wants it and builds it tastfully then i have nothing but respect for them. custom cars are like art and art is suppose to express your personality

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
1evilregal said:
the only thing I was ragging about, was that purists seem to knock anyone who run something isnt original, or another brand in a certain mark... some people build to be different, some people build with what they can afford... can't we at least agree about the love we all have in common for our cars?

Darin

Agreed, lol. My car is a far cry from being an "original", it's a mix and match lego set with parts from buick, olds, pontiac, AMC/Jeep, chevy and homemade concoctions. Do I get flack for it? Absolutely :lol:, but hey, it's my car and I'll build it any way I can (tight budget). I actually find it very amusing when I take my creation to the local cruise in or little car show, I stand back and watch the reactions the car gets, everything from confusion, to disgruntled, and some actually like what I've done.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
regalman4925 said:
to each his own, i have never looked down on any motor in any car and never will period. i like b-o-p, i just know chevys. this is worse then polotics! the only argument to the b-o-p guys is my main objuective is to make my old cars more modern, b-o-p never had efi....

you wanna hear something cool, my buddy saw a hurst olds the other day that had a grand national driveline in it, yea a buick in a olds, never a harsh word about it, we all sat there talking about how insane that car must be with the GN motor in it.......

Um, first you started B-o-p never had efi, but then you state your buddy saw a Hurst/Olds with a GN driveline, which was efi. Sorry, I had to get you on that one :lol:

My take on all of this is:

1. This is a good topic, really can't understand why many on here are getting upset, pissed, some down right childish.

2. Like regalman and others, I never look down on anyone that's put a SBC into a g-body Cutlass or non-Chevy Gbody, but

3. Guessing I'm biased (not hating) but for the Cutlass I do prefer if they stick with Olds. I'm guessing since I've had 3 and 2 out of the 3 have had the Olds 350 swap done to them (#1 from a 260, #2 from a 307) I prefer Olds to Olds. And if I had a Monte/Malibu most likely I would do the tried-n-true 350/383 swap. Having said that, for some reason for the Buford and the Poncho I really don't care what people put in them. Not hating on the B-P, but of the B-O-P coupes I've always liked the Cutlass best. Now that doesn't mean I won't buy /take a GS350/400 / GSX, or GN/T-Type/Turbo T, or do a g-body GP with a 389/421 SD tri-power. :twisted:

4. The sbc itself may be cheaper, but when swapping into the B-O you have to spend some more coin on the accessories and re-routing things

5. Unless you're using it for a granny-mobile, it's extra-extra-extra clean and running perfect or it's a T-Type/GN/Turbo T, if it's a V6, snatch that thing out of there and put in a V8!!

6. I admit I do give a little more dap to those in the B-O-P camp that replace their B-O-P engine with a B-O-P engine. I don't know, it just seems these guys / gals just went through a little bit more research, time & effort in keeping it "in the family" sort of speak. It's kind of the working a little bit harder to get it to the finish line-type of thinking. Again, not hating on those that went the sbc route, but you most admit, you can pretty much just pick up a Summit, Jegs, or any other catalog and order up parts / whole engine - we have to work some for ours. Case in point, a buddy of mine had an 85 GP, swapped in a Pontiac 350, another had an 80 Cutty he put a sbo in and a couple others had an MC and Elky, both with 350 chevys. Everyone in the shop gave them their do for their work but the Olds and Pontiac guys got bit more because it took them a somewhat more to get the job done.

7. You want to talk about purist / diehards, get to know the Mopar kats / kittens (also true AMCers). They're freakin' insane!! We're lightweights compared to them!!!

8. I laugh when people think that Olds and Pontiacs (and Buick) have always been slugs, has beens and the like and it's always been Chevy, Chevy, Chevy. I tell them about the Nascar wins back in the day, many things in GM started with Olds, that what's considered the first "modern" OHV valve hi-compression V8 was the Olds /Caddy, the SD-Indians, among the other accomplishments...

I am learning more about the Caddy swaps (before I came here I've only seen one, and that was in Car Craft)and some of the things you guys have done I thought about too, maybe when I get a bigger garage and the ecomony / job becomes more stable I'll be able to try them out.

In the end, it's your car - do with it what your budget and heart desire.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and for those who really want to be technical there is a bunch of G bodies that have chevy look-a-like Mexican engines in their cars..GM started years ago to stick what ever was available and cheap in any brand of car so the genuine brand of cars died along time ago.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
who ever had mine before put a chevy engine in it, if i had it my way i would have put an olds in it but i cant aford it. so i live with what i got and what i got isnt that bad. but its all gm i dont see what the fuss is about.

buick252

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2009
Yeah build what you want the only I'm saying is if you have a love for a chevy motor ok good for you. Now here is the werid part put it in a CHEVY body stlye car. I dont care what brand is the fast but dont use our lovely body stlye car and disrespect them by taking out the orginal motor. Because if you see a different motor in a chevy body stlye dont get upset about it. Now you know have it feel when we see a chevy in or b.o.p cars thats all I'm saying. Plus we are all grown men in here we should be able to have a frienldy i repeat a FRIENDLY discuss lets not act like are shoe size ok and we can see we ALL LOVE HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE so no reason to get upset and call peoples names. Lets take our passions for turbo v-6's and all brand of v-8's and LETS GET THOSE RICERS AND IMPORTS!!!

fomoco71

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 18, 2009
Sharps Chapel, TN
This thread brings up several points. The reason most guys drop in a sbc is easy-they're a dime a dozen, as are speed parts(new/used). BOPC motors are great, but check out a PAW catalog. You can screw together multiple sbc's for the cost of one so called "off brand" motor. I hate sbc's in Fords & mopars, not crazy about 'em in BOPC cars, but they are the cheap, easy way out dollar for dollar, hp for hp.
Having said all of that, I will tell you that a bbc is NOT the best engine around here dollar for dollar. Why? Because they are so sought after, you can't even buy a running,smogger(probably needing a rebuild) 454 under a grand. On the other hand, I bought a complete running 455 bbo/t400 for $200.With less than 70k on them. Which is why it's going into my Malibu. I have a '70 350, so why didn't I do the 350/350 thing? Because I hate sbc? No, but the 350 has 200k+ on it and needs a rebuild. And then I'd want a new aluminum intake...and then a cam/lifters...and then headers...and so on. Before you know it, I've got a grand(that I don't have)in it. And stock for stock, dollar for dollar, I really doubt that little 350 is gonna perform like the 455, especially with highway 2.73s. I would like to find another Malibu later & do the 350 up right & put it in though. My goal was to get this car up & going as quickly as possible as it hadn't been off the road very long. We all know how hard it is on a car to sit around(outside).
All my Ford friends said "put a 302/460 in it"(Malibu) as it's really the first Chevy I've had in a few years. I just can't bring myself to do that, if I ever had to sell I'd get "they ruined a good car with a Ford motor" or "what a waste of a good engine".I know one thing for sure; When the Malibu gets up & running I got a feeling I'm gonna get real good at swapping out GM rearends....

deanz406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2007
Latrobe,Pa
I just wanted to reply to this thread, because it is GREAT !! I'm on both sides of the fence, but am FINALLY going to build my DREAM CAR. I have a couple Buick Regals-- My primary race car is an 87 Regal Limited, absolutely mint, with all the bells and whistles, EVERYTHING power optioned, and is pretty heavy, @ 3650# with me in it. When I bought the car(really cheap,$400.00), it had the 307 Olds in it, which I think was a std V8 in them. The car had 78,000 orig miles, and i wanted a street, and strip ride. I looked forever for a 455 Olds, or a 455 Buick motor, and absolutely couldn't find one around me. I wanted to make the race season, so I had my original 1970 Corvette 350 LT-1. It sat on a pallet for the best part of 30 yrs. I took it apart, bored, decked, and rebuilt it, did a full competition port job on the heads, put in a Comp Nostalgia series 30/30 hydraulic cam, and a Victor jr on it, Holley 750 Pro series carb. The rear is a 4:10 GN, 350 trans w/4500 Trans Specialties conv. I did it all fairly cheap, doing everything myself, except the trans. The car runs consistent 12.00 - 12.20, 1/4 mi @ 110.
Last spring, I picked up a really clean 83 Regal from a friend, which his son hit a deer at 55 mph, and smashed the front clip and rt door pretty bad. I got it for $75.00, and had a complete front clip. and door repainted. I haven't installed the front end on it yet, in anticipation of finding a Buick motor. Luckily, another friend found a 74 Buick Electra 225 4 door hardtop at a yard sale. It was sitting for 12 years since last driven. He asked the old man there what he was going to do with the Buick Electra, and the old man told him he was going to finally call the scrap guy to come and haul it out of there. My friend asked him what he wanted for it, and the old man replied, " What would the junk man give me for it" ?? My friend replied, "probably around $200.00". He asked the old man if he could buy it, and haul it out of there. The old man said ok, and my friend went home, got his trailer, and went back and got it. When they pushed the car out of the garage, it had 12 yrs worth of dirt, leaves, and crud on it. On the way home, they took it to the local carwash, scrubbed it, gunked down the motor, and engine compartment, and did a basic vacuum on the inside. When they got home, they changed oil, installed new plugs, wires, rotor & cap, rebuilt carb, flushed fuel lines, new thermostat, and antifreeze. They then buffed it out, and shampooed the brocaded velour seats, and interior, polished all the chrome, and fired it up. The car started, had a small puff of smoke, and settled down, and idled perfectly. They took it out for a drive, and it ran like a swiss watch.
A couple days later, I heard someone pulling into my driveway-- I went outside, and to my astonishmment was a MINT, and absolutely gorgeous 74 Electra 225, dark gold, with a beautiful saddle beige interior. This thing is 34 ft long, "What a Tank ". I asked him what he was going to do-- put it up for sale, or put it on e-bay. He said, NOPE-- this is my new demolition derby car!! I told him he was insane, and tried to talk him out of it, but NO WAY was he going to give it up. He said, check out the underhood, and motor. When he opened the hood, I flipped out-- A 455-4V big block. He started it up. and I was amazed how sweet it ran. I asked him what he was going to do with the motor, and he said I could have it for $100.00 if I helped him rebuild his S/B derby motor. Needless to say I agreed, and 2 days later, he brought over the 455, with everything intact on it--motor,400 trans,a/c,alt,air cleaner, exh system.
Now I finally will have my dream car-- 83 Regal w/ 455 Buick power, GN rear w/3:42 gears.ALL BUICK !!! I did my research, and am going to rebuild it, and found that Crower has the largest selection of cams for a BB Buick. I figured I'd port the heads, and go with a Performer intake, 750 Holley DP, good ign. This car only had 38,800 miles on the odometer. I don't think it will need any major machine work on it. I don't know if anyone makes headers, so I might stay with the iron manifolds, and a 2 1/2" exh system. I want to keep it a pump gas street/strip car, and figure it should run in the low-mid 13's, and I'll be able to drive it to. and from the racetrack. Probably won't buzz it past 5500 RPM.
Like u guys said, it is COOL to have a cruiser like this-- all BUICK !!! I KNOW I got really lucky with this find, and have just kept this little Regal covered, until I could do it this way. I'm going to do a build thread in the spring, and will do a photo shoot, w/ all the build pics. Sorry for the long thread, but it goes to show that a little patience can pay off, as well as a LOT OF LUCK !!! Dean :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor