Why everyone is putting Chevy's in the off brands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
all the B.S. aside. dollar to dollar, and HP to HP small or big block chevy hands down out perform B.O.P. not saying them engines are not good. they all have huge potential like any other engine, and all have relay good things about them. now they new school slx engines are really starting to even take over the SBC. they respond to small mods better than any other engine out there.

v8power said:
all the B.S. aside. dollar to dollar, and HP to HP small or big block chevy hands down out perform B.O.P. not saying them engines are not good. they all have huge potential like any other engine, and all have relay good things about them. now they new school slx engines are really starting to even take over the SBC. they respond to small mods better than any other engine out there.

I think I have to disagree on that. You take a buick 455 and a chevy 454 and use the same parts and the same rebuild and specs Im thinking the 455 comes out on top. We could through the caddy 500 in the mix but that wouldnt be a fair comparison since it already has the edge.

RegalBegal said:
A Buick Big Block weighs only 60 pounds more than a Chevy small block. This is because Buick used nickel in the block and heads for strength. Chevy didn't, requiring a bulkier casting for strength. This low quality cast iron is also why Chevy's need hardened valve seats and Buick's don't. Your stock bottom end isn't going to take that 7200 RPM for very long with stock rods.

BTW, The Buick 455 has forged steel rods from the factory. After you blow up a couple engines is it still cheaper?
:banana:

RegalBegal,

Since you seem to speak fluent Buick, what's the best year for the 455 overall? The 1970 had the highest compression from what I've heard, but are there block/heads/cam/oiling differences for the later ones? I've heard the 1976 and maybe late 1975 had more nickel in the block-rumor or fact? I already have an HEI distributor for one on a core motor, but if I buy a 1974-up, another one would be nice. There are a few available in my area, and I'd like to choose the best one.

To keep this from being a thread hijack, I'll put my $.02 in on the whole engine brand issue: To each their own! Your car is your own blank canvas. I'd put any engine in any car, personally. The odder, the better. I love the Buick 455, but if the parts I had & were available to me worked out best to put a Ford 302 in my Buick or Pontiac, I'd do it. What can I say? I'm easy. :lol:

RegalBegal,

Since you seem to speak fluent Buick, what's the best year for the 455 overall? The 1970 had the highest compression from what I've heard, but are there block/heads/cam/oiling differences for the later ones? I've heard the 1976 and maybe late 1975 had more nickel in the block-rumor or fact? I already have an HEI distributor for one on a core motor, but if I buy a 1974-up, another one would be nice. There are a few available in my area, and I'd like to choose the best one.

As far as blocks go, the 75-76 block is slightly stronger and have improved (larger) oil passages. The early small chamber heads have different cooling passages than the later 71cc or 78cc heads and can't be used on the '72 and later blocks without modification. The 75-76 heads are large chamber smog heads. Those engines have about a 7.5:1 compression ratio. Of course, you could use a 75-76 bottom end and swap in 72-74 heads to raise compression. I run a 73 block & heads with 70 pistons. This gives me about 9:1 compression ratio. One tip: if you rebuild, use a stock oil pump. Hi volume/pressure pumps are hard on the front cam bearing. Buick engines don't like that. If you need more info PM me.

:hijack:

I think I have to disagree on that. You take a buick 455 and a chevy 454 and use the same parts and the same rebuild and specs Im thinking the 455 comes out on top. We could through the caddy 500 in the mix but that wouldnt be a fair comparison since it already has the edge.

that could very well be. but i said "dollar to dollar"

I don't know, I take pride in having an Olds powered Olds (455). Best yet, is my car even has stock and working A/C! It's such a sleeper, I love watching people walk by my car at car shows.

They see it's Olds powered and just shrug it off....sometimes they see my Toronado intake, under hood supports cut out, funky shifter, and start looking closer. Once they get to the Ford 9" (if they're smart enough), then they realize something is going on here....

I actually get laughs because my car has Camaro (IROC) rims.

I just went the sbc route cuz it came from the factory that way.... I have been trying to score my buddies Pontiac 455 but he won't sell it to me :lol: So the 350 swap was a logical choice and it has provided plenty of power. Both of my 79 and 85 GP"s have had the 305 so i don't know any better..I have been looking into swapping a ls series 5.3 0r 6.0 soon...

I am putting the 1966 330 Olds (actually 333 now) in my 87 because I wanted to keep it Olds, and do something I hadn't seen anyone else do with theirs. it DEFINITELY is/has cost more to do this, but I knew that ahead of time. I probably have twice as much in my motor, (still in pieces waiting to be put together) than if I had bought a comparably built SBC. I work for my money, and will spend it how I please, and I wanted an Olds motor.

If someone else spends their hard-earned money on a SBC for their Olds, Ford or whatever, it's their choice. I wouldn't do it, but that would be my choice, as it is theirs. I do hate seeing it though. I cringe whenever I see an old Ford rod with a SBC drivetrain. But I am just an a$$ most of the time!

my $0.02.............

Wow haven't been on here in a couple days & this topic last for two days!! I see that most of y'all is doing the Chevy swap for $$ reasons. At the end of the day, I won't do it. I am too stuck on brand loyalty to jump ship & do the cheap swap. That old "you get what you paid for" adage is stuck in my mind lol! I wouldn't cut corners on engine building or anything I do in life period! So yes build your g-body the way you want, I just wanted to find out why ppl do the swap since its done to death & if bop was as cheap as a chevy to build, would ppl stick to the bowtie way & still drop an sbc in their bop. Great discussion time to work on my future BIG BLOCK OLDS powered cutty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor