Why everyone is putting Chevy's in the off brands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened a couple weeks ago at VMP.

It was Pontiacs in the Park, but Friday night then run thier reqular program.

I used it as a T&T.
Anyway a guy comes up and asked if the Olds "has big block or small block".He could be thinking Olds so I say neither it's a Pontiac.

"Really, big block or small block?" Start speech #37 that there is no such thing as a bb or sb Pontiac.

" How many kits?" . I play dumb and say "I only run one kit, a stage 2 shift kit." I can be a smartazz.

"No , how much nitrous?" None

"Really!!"

"what trans?" Turbo 400.

" oh, so you are running a Chevy trans?" :roll:

He then goes on about his Camaro, that of course is faster but not here tonight.

That's 15 minutes of my life I will not get back!

no more cutlass in your sig?? 😢

I just hate it when people hate on me for NOT going chevy.
I've got a 403 in the garage not even completely dissasembled and I'm already having thoughs on a forced induction 425 after I'm done with the 403... :roll:
When I'm asked why olds (usually by a chevy guy) I simply respond with why do you have a chevy in your chevy?
It seems that most chevy guys are ignorant. Albeit, I know a few chevy guys that are real down to earth nice guys. But the ones that say "it's better because it's a chevy" get on my nerves.
Cheap, btw, is a relative term. It all comes down to what you can find, what you want, and what you can do on your own. This 403 I'm building should put me in the 13's and won't cost me more than $1k.
I bought a 68 350, th350, dual hump x-member, headers, and a dual exhaust for $125... I sold the block and rotating assembly for $100.
I got this 403 for $250. I'll probably sell some stuff from it that I don't need as time goes on.
I hope I don't need new pistons and an overbore, if I do it'll get a little pricier. If I can get away with a hone, re-ring, new bearings, new gaskets, all I need to buy is a cam. I'm running the #5 heads from the 350 and the e-brock intake that came on it too. If I need pistons I'm not sure what direction I'm going. Gotta see how much it'll cost.

Btw, I choose OLDS and I've probably got the least $$ of anyone here. I'm 16 with no job! (But I am looking for a job.)

shotgun said:
"Really, big block or small block?" Start speech #37 that there is no such thing as a bb or sb Pontiac.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to give that speech.

I have 2 fun cars right now. One has a fuel injected SBC with Edelbrock heads, cam - 216/[email protected] .484/.512, Crane gold rockers, Holley Stealth Ram, mez water pump, headers, T56 6 speed, etc. I've been meaning to go bigger on the cam since I put the Stealth Ram on it.

My 79 Grand Prix has a '70 Pontiac 400, with a bigger cam (can't recall the specs, maybe 222/[email protected]) professionally ported iron heads, scorpion rockers, Performer intake, Holley 750, TCI TH350 & 11" converter... I'm keeping these lists short. I have much more into both cars.

Each engine has their strengths and weaknesses. Both have a ton of aftermarket parts available. Both can be built cheaply or expensively. I curse the SBC spark plug locations compared to the Pontiac design! SBC crate engine availabilty does make things easy. If you want to run a BOP, you have to find a good machine shop.

Anyone knocking traditional Pontiacs who has not tried one does not know what they are missing out on. There is a HUGE aftermarket for these engines, despite the fact that production ceased in 1978 (I'm not counting the 301). Over 30 years, guys! They have not been produced in over 30 years, yet the Pontiac aftermarket rivals the Chevy aftermarket. I know, I shop for both. That market is not there because Pontiacs are slow or don't make power.

I say do what works for you within your budget. This site is awesome and I'm enjoying checking out all the cars. I see lots of hard work regardless of what is under the hood. But when I see a BOP, I know someone went out of their way to put it there, and I guess I can appreciate that, cuz I've definitely been there.

So, I guess what I'm saying is.... get both! :twisted:

I am all for just building what makes sense. If someone offered me a good, free Olds 403 when I needed an engine, I'd use an Olds.

However, I will also say that if these were 64-72 A bodies, I would argue strongly for keeping them loyal to the division that built them. Those cars are the true legends and should not have their purity polluted by an off brand swap. Plus, those cars were not victim to GM's "Corporate" engine strategy like ours were. They stayed true to their division when sold in the US (Canadian Pontiacs used Chevy power). However, a Holden of the same era would be fair game for a Chevy as that is what they came with.

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I am all for just building what makes sense. If someone offered me a good, free Olds 403 when I needed an engine, I'd use an Olds.

However, I will also say that if these were 64-72 A bodies, I would argue strongly for keeping them loyal to the division that built them. Those cars are the true legends and should not have their purity polluted by an off brand swap. Plus, those cars were not victim to GM's "Corporate" engine strategy like ours were. They stayed true to their division when sold in the US (Canadian Pontiacs used Chevy power). However, a Holden of the same era would be fair game for a Chevy as that is what they came with.

I am right there with you. I also add that the special g-body's (442's,H/O's, MCSS, etc ,etc,) should be left loyal to there division. Other then that the rest are fair game to do what you please. If you want to run a yac motor in a run of the mill cutlass go for it. It dean't bother me a bit. The reg. versions of our cars will never be worth much unless you have some super low milage factory fresh car stored away. My cutlass probablt isn't worth the work I am doing to it and I will probably will never get what I have in it back out of it if I were to sell it so screw it. I am building the car for me , as most others are doing on here. The one that want only a olds motor in a olds that is ther pereferance. And hey it's good to have you'll here it mixes things up so there is not the cookie cutter effect.

Joray said:
Why do you suppose GM put bigger rearends in BOPC cars ?

They didn't. Well i should say they didn't just because it was a bop. None of the pontiacs got the 8.5. Only the sportier versions got them. And sadly none of the g-bodies really needed it. At least not in stock form.

Back in the mid 80's my friend had a 71 cutlass with a 350 Rocket.. that car was fast.. He blew that motor and bought a 455 Olds motor out a Old 98, he took it to the machine shop rebuilt the motor, offy tunnel ram and dual quads.. it cost him almost $9000 when he was finished.. 4 miles to the gal without jumping on it.Sweet machine.. I built an 80 Olds cutlass back in 86 with a 1973 350 Rocket and dumped about $2000 for the Edelbrock intake, cam, timing chain, holley carb and M/T valve covers. $250 for TH350, It had lost some low end torque and pulled okay midrange.. I was disappointed to say the least.. I should have saved the money for some other up grades or a chevy 350.... Now I am building a Buick Regal and going with a BBC because of several reasons..
1- I got a deal on the 454 and 400 transmission.
2- I know what kind power I can expect from the mods I'm gonna do.
3- I haven't seen an intake for an 8-71 for a Buick 455, and I'm sure it would cost double.
4- I didn't want to put a Turbo 6 in the car.
5-I didn't want to put a small block in the car.

I am a Ford guy at heart but wanted to build a car that would really turn heads, Buick Regal with a 454 and an 8-71 out of the hood.

Sorry man, not BOP in this Buick..

my 82 grand prix lj was born with an olds (a deisle but still born with it) when i got it it had a '69 olds 350 F-1 block #5 heads performer RPM intake eddy 750 carb solid lifter cam

it was a fun car could light the tires with ease :mrgreen:

plus an olds just sounds better i think 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor