Why LS swaps made everything better

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
For as great as the LS engine is, there aren't many that will move a 3800 lb car into the single digits without a power adder. This is where the big inch big blocks still shine. While great gas mileage is a plus, we should also remember that even an LS engine can get crappy gas mileage; the 6.0 liter in my 2500HD is a perfect example of that with 10-11 mpg as the norm. If you want to compare a power adder LS to something, compare it to one of these https://www.prolineracing.net/products/plr-481x-stage-4-engine

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Just watched this:

I peed a little when he listed his cars (each with a different powerplant) and stated: "I think I have a problem".

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sticking with the theme of LS swaps, the first guy who did it successfully must be dead by now because even with all the swap-friendly stuff you can just buy now had to be fabricated for sure back then. And tons of trial and error and a lot of frustration and work. And MONEY. Which even with the off-the-shelf parts, the swap is still rather pricey. And then you have this lump of numbness in between the wheel wells. I mean, the thing is, I'm sure seeing the first few pioneers do it, everyone was like, "wow". Now, it's so mundane nobody even looks at them at car shows anymore with the same sense of awesomeness. Even GM got in on making swap kits virtually plug n play. It's still cool, but it's yesterday's news.

In fact, if you have the original engine in an older G-body, people are slightly amazed. I see a turbo LS and to borrow a phrase from Fry-me-a-burger's article, like, yeah. Whatevs. The crazy part about all LS engines is that GM built them conservatively, and the identified flaws notwithstanding, they leave a lot of potential power on the table when they left the factory. There's more power in them thar engines! And it's not tough or super-expensive to extract it. Just the mere addition of headers and a freer flowing intake and exhaust system can really start to wake one up. Cam heads and power adders on top of that can really make them scream. An LS in all flavors. Fun for every price range.

I have 3 LS engined vehicles. All 6.2L in various HP configurations. If I get the hankerin' to have some fun with LS power, I just hop in one of those. My Oldsmobiles, however, will never have anything but 10 or 5 bolt stamped steel Olds V8 valve covers on them. Why? Because I can. Run with whatever flips up your skirt. Just as long as your having fun yanking on wrenches, that's what it's all about.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Cubic dollars always win in the 'who's the fastest' game. The LS has turned in to the 80's version of a SBC. It's already becoming boring to see them, but the same could be said of SBC swaps from 20-30 years ago.

It's fun to dare to be different. To possess and/or build something that isn't commonplace is great if that's your thing. The LS has allowed the opportunity for many of us to go fast without having to spend cubic dollars to do it. And the fact they are still being produced and the level of interchangeable parts throughout the platform means that they will be the preferred swap motor for quite a while IMHO.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Just watched this:

I peed a little when he listed his cars (each with a different powerplant) and stated: "I think I have a problem".

I have been meaning to watch Nugget Garage videos, but haven't got there yet.

In fact, if you have the original engine in an older G-body, people are slightly amazed.

I am 99% sure there are more G bodies today with an LS than a myriad of factory G body engines (260 olds, 301 or 265 pontiac, 4.1 Buick, diesel anything).

I'd damn near even venture to say more G bodies getting built today are getting LS engines than worked over SBC's.

I agree on the article on pretty much everything, but the creep of tech from LS into other engines, and raising the standard of how your hotrod should run are the two things that hit closest to me.

If you tried to put SFI style EFI on a Pontiac or Olds v8 15 years ago, you would have to damn near hold a masters degree in electrical engineering. Today, you can damn near order everything out of a catalog and set it up in a weekend.

Overheating, choppy NA big blocks that run 12's these days are almost unacceptable. Overdrives are standard equipment.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
LS swaps are not the norm up here. Most builds seem stuck in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s or are late-model cars at our local shows. It's like they froze when they reached an acceptable expense or commitment and gave up. "It's done." I'd be lying if I didn't admit to faking excitement for non-adventurous builds for the sake of my kids.

Olds 307 with a turbo? Why not? Usually a lack of talent, initiative, or money. Up here if you have talent and initiative you can achieve more than most with cubic dollars at their disposal. Saying it cannot be done is just an excuse, and is loosely translated as "I won't be bothered".

The LS is the convenient and safe answer.

Last edited:
  • Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The neatest build I've been around was 401 Nailhead with a turbo and blow through carb on top. Starting with a torque monster of a motor and adding boost to make more torque (y) - I seen that car twice win burnout contests and never spin 4500 rpm's.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The neatest build I've been around was 401 Nailhead with a turbo and blow through carb on top. Starting with a torque monster of a motor and adding boost to make more torque (y) - I seen that car twice win burnout contests and never spin 4500 rpm's.

Those are the builds that always make me smile, as well as cleaner running diesels. Anyone who's ever driven a Turbo Buick knows what 231 cubes (thinking it is 462 cubes) of torque feels like at double atmosphere.

The misconception that LSeseses lack low-end grunt is really wrong. They just have a flat torque curves that carry very far out. Power under the curve is far superior to a peaky TPI engine. A boost controller and a 2-step will send lots of power down low on a boosted LS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
I am a tightwad on a lot of things. My 1980 El Camino needs an engine swap to replace the 267 V8 and the TH350. I got lucky and found a wrecked 2008 Express 3500 van with a 6.0 and a 4L80E. I parted out a lot of things off the van and I am only in it for $487 total as of today. I think I will eventually make money off of it as I haven't sold everything I need to sell off the van.

Stock, this 6.0 will put out more power than any SBC crate motor I could buy. With the 6.0, I am a cam and spring swap away for almost 500 HP for about $400 more. Yes I will need a oil pan ($400 Holley), timing cover ($100), motor mounts ($200), and (if I don't use the stock ECM) an aftermarket ECM ($1300), but the price of those are still less than a crate engine or a JY 350 swap with aftermarket heads, intake, and cam. With a SBC, I still will be hard pressed to get into the 400 hp range without aftermarket support which costs more money. I also understand I will most likely get nickel and dimed on other stuff, but I think at the end of the swap, I will be about even to the cost of a crate engine SBC with the same amount of power and I'll have overdrive and EFI.

I do appreciate the person that swaps in a Pontiac, Olds, or Buick engine and enjoy reading about the swap, but for me, it comes down to cost. I don't really care if the LS swaps are a dime a dozen.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
In fact, if you have the original engine in an older G-body, people are slightly amazed. I see a turbo LS and to borrow a phrase from Fry-me-a-burger's article, like, yeah. Whatevs.

I hope people can be wowed or at least impressed when I pop the hood and they see a bone stock 1981 Buick 3.8, with all of the emissions intact on top of it (because CaLiFoRnIa) :LOL:💪. When you can't get out of your own way or struggle entering an expressway to match the "acceptable by today's standards" speed, it's leaves you wanting more. It's running a little rich so the number is lower than it can be but getting about 13mpg on top of the 110hp isn't worth the attention and glamor of having the stock engine, in this case anyway. 🙂 With the right car I'd be perfectly fine keeping it all original, I wouldn't mind a Monte SS in a specific color/option combo I have in mind that is all stock, someday perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor