Winter Projects, what are your plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
I've had the ole Malibu out just about everyday for the last month and a half, just getting in driving time before they salt the roads for the first time this winter and im Donzo until spring. This winter though i hope will be productive. I need to replace the windshield wiper motor, speedometer, fix the dash lights, the seat belts are frozen, i'd like to put in bucket seats. You know, the kinds of things mechanics probably couldnt deal with but a body man ignores. :mrgreen:

But the biggest one will definitely be the dash. ive got it all torn apart and its kinda sad really. But anywho, i thought if i probed into the winter plans of others maybe we could all pool struggles/successes over the long, depressing winter on common projects.

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
trying to work up the nerve to change heads. I may have some 305HO ones '416 casting. Looking at roller tip rockers, maybe I can get it ported a little by myself and install it all in the spring. Gotta be better than the stock '79 heads I have now... Also, finishing up my rear sway bar and por-15 on the entire frame if I get one more warm day....

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
johnny79 said:
trying to work up the nerve to change heads. I may have some 305HO ones '416 casting. Looking at roller tip rockers, maybe I can get it ported a little by myself and install it all in the spring. Gotta be better than the stock '79 heads I have now... Also, finishing up my rear sway bar and por-15 on the entire frame if I get one more warm day....

Don't be nervous it'll take 4 hours to do if you do everything right the first time. Thats with careful planning and remembering where you put everything.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Was planning on maybe doin the suspension and steering in the 442. Replace tie rods, center link and such, along with new control arms front and back with sway bars and springs. Anyone have any UMI suspension parts on their car? Was thinkin of goin that route

82gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2010
Planning on replacing my rotted out floors and quarter panels in my 82 cutlass this winter, i think even the rust is rusted.

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
My Plan Is To Succesfully Install My Saginaw Four Speed and Build My SBC 355 And Have It Installed In The Spring. Wish All Of You Guys Luck And Success While Working On Your Cars During Winter!

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm planning on putting some extra weight in the trunk. Since I have to drive mine all winter, and it is currently getting a 350HP 355 installed in it. This should be an interesting winter lol.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
my plan is to get the exhaust done and FINNALLY DRIVE IT! then swap out the rear springs to stock size ones and get some rallies on it. then do burnouts and doughnuts in the snow. YAY!

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Phoenyx said:
I'm planning on putting some extra weight in the trunk. Since I have to drive mine all winter, and it is currently getting a 350HP 355 installed in it. This should be an interesting winter lol.

2x 50 lbs bags of brick sand from your local landscaping supply place ( much much cheaper than HD or Rona ) and snows on all 4 corners ( you already have posi ) and you should be good to go. My old 4door "bu was a tank with that setup ( although I only had a 250ci inline 6 to push it around )

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
after I find a winter beater....paint, a roller cam set up and a ford 9" with disk brakes...last winter I boxed and rewelded the frame, body bushings, replaced the floors and doors, suspension, tall spindle conversion, cunifer brake lines and new fuel lines and a 4th gen F body hand brake conversion....it'll be an easy winter this year compared to last...

and the race car gets a new skin...rules changed so we are going with a new 2010 camaro glass body which is great cause it's so easy to repair and it doesn't buckle like metal...it either springs back into place or it cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor