HELP Wiring harness for 4th Gen F-Body fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I picked up a dual electric fan assembly last year for my Cutlass, but it had no wiring attached. Where can I get the plugs, wiring and relays so I can graft this in? The local salvage yards don't have F-Bodies to pull parts from, so I have to source the connectors and harness from somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Well, the relays are built in to a large fuse & relay center, so they're not isolated. I'm not a fan of Painful Products, but Google is your friend. I punched in "F-body fan harness", and look what pops up... https://www.jegs.com/i/Painless-Performance-Products/764/30118/10002/- along with a bunch of others- you're welcome.

Thanks flemming442. Yes, I consulted the oracle for about 45 minutes...but there are much smarter people in this forum! I did see that kit from Painless(a bit pricey for some wires)... but if I can find out what connectors I need for the fans, the relays needed, a switch or rheostat control, and wiring layout(which I've seen a few from Google), I think I'd be on my way....maybe some pointer from someone here that has done this same install.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
On my brother's car, the harness and clips were included with the fan assembly. The harness was cut a few feet upstream from the fan assembly when it was removed from it's original car. I mounted a pair of universal relays (which came with their own pigtails) on the core support, just to the driver's side of the radiator and just spliced the relays into that wiring. If you go on RockAuto, you likely can buy the pigtails that plug into the fan assembly for the 4th gen F-Body application and then just build your own harness.

Reactions: 1 users

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
On my brother's car, the harness and clips were included with the fan assembly. The harness was cut a few feet upstream from the fan assembly when it was removed from it's original car. I mounted a pair of universal relays (which came with their own pigtails) on the core support, just to the driver's side of the radiator and just spliced the relays into that wiring. If you go on RockAuto, you likely can buy the pigtails that plug into the fan assembly for the 4th gen F-Body application and then just build your own harness.

I don't normally visit that site... being that I live in Canada... but wow! It's great resource for part numbers and pics! Thanks for the information.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't normally visit that site... being that I live in Canada... but wow! It's great resource for part numbers and pics! Thanks for the information.
Glad to help. I used the wiring diagram for the 4th Gen Camaro as a basis for my wiring. Fan 1 is the primary fan and comes on based on temp by command by the ECM (ECM provides ground signal to Fan 1's relay). Fan 2 is also controlled by the ECM but the ECM commands it to come on only at a higher temp and I also have it controlled by the tri-nary switch from the Vintage Air, so it comes on at a certain pressure threshold on the high side of the A/C system, regardless of engine temperature. There are lots of different ways to do it, that's just how I did it, since we are running an LS in my brother's car.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Glad to help. I used the wiring diagram for the 4th Gen Camaro as a basis for my wiring. Fan 1 is the primary fan and comes on based on temp by command by the ECM (ECM provides ground signal to Fan 1's relay). Fan 2 is also controlled by the ECM but the ECM commands it to come on only at a higher temp and I also have it controlled by the tri-nary switch from the Vintage Air, so it comes on at a certain pressure threshold on the high side of the A/C system, regardless of engine temperature. There are lots of different ways to do it, that's just how I did it, since we are running an LS in my brother's car.

Thanks again Texas82GP! I have no ECM, so I'll be running it off a sensor/switch.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The connectors should be std. GM weatherpack connectors available on ebay/amazon etc.

You can save about $100 and make your own harness:
fan-control-higlowdiagram-jpg.87809

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
The connectors should be std. GM weatherpack connectors available on ebay/amazon etc.

You can save about $100 and make your own harness:
fan-control-higlowdiagram-jpg.87809

Thank you UNGN! Great diagram!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I picked up an F-body LS1 dual fan setup years ago. I cut the pigtails out of another GM car, but don't remember which. Perhaps, I'll have a eureka moment.

Btw, that's one of the nicest fan wiring diagrams that I've ever come across.
Thanks for posting that UNGN.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor