Wix Filter Quality Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
I typically like to buy WIX transmission filters... But I am wondering if their quality has gone down recently?? About a year ago, I purchased a 58896 WIX transmission filter kit from a local parts store. The filter was stamped "Made in USA." The gasket was a thick cork gasket that said WIX all over it. The filter material looked like some white plastic mesh material. The neck on the filter also had a thick gasket on it. Well last week I ordered the same part number filter kit from Rock Auto. I opened the box, and noticed it had a thin rubber gasket. I took a look at the filter material, and it appeared to be some yellow paper crap. Instead of nice gasket on the neck of the filter, this one had a little o-ring. As I inspected the filter, it has the WIX part number stamped on it.... BUT it said made in taiwan! :wtf:

So my question is this... Has WIX lowered the quality of their filters? Or are the products you purchase from RockAuto subpar quality? Has anyone else seen anything like this?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
wix spin on oil filters are still made in the US but other filters are made in different parts of the world. If I were you I'd send it back and demand for one made in the US and if they can't provide you with one get a refund. Let them know you won't accept chinese junk and I would also send wix an email telling them of your concerns

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Well I went ahead and installed the filter because I wanted to get my car back together today... But it just makes me angry that its so hard to buy quality products. I guess next time I'll get AC Delco. But I think even those are made in Mexico.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
84Hurst/Olds said:
Well I went ahead and installed the filter because I wanted to get my car back together today... But it just makes me angry that its so hard to buy quality products. I guess next time I'll get AC Delco. But I think even those are made in Mexico.

You should still contact WIX and ask them what the deal is. If they tell you they're making things in China now, tell them they just lost you as a customer. I'm personally getting fed up trying to buy quality parts and getting China crap in return.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
AC Delco uses Chinese crap too! In fact i just bought a Standard Motors coil and it was made in Poland! Still beats China though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's strange why Wix claims to run 5 plants in the US that they'd be selling us their outsourced garbage

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
pontiacgp said:
It's strange why Wix claims to run 5 plants in the US that they'd be selling us their outsourced garbage

I'd have to ask the rep again but IIRC there was some talk about pieces being made elsewhere and possibly assembled here. Quality has not dropped though, they expect any manufacturer to meet certain criteria and if it doesn't they will reject it. Wish I could remember more, but does anyone pay attention at company meetings, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor