work list

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
sorry i meant to say "kids", imma bad typer...

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
beermonkey9417 said:
...if i go from a th350 to the 2004r is the drive shaft length the same?
i also found this under the hood, whats this thing?
l.jpg

Yes, the driveshaft is the same between the TH-350 and the 200-4R.

That's the body tag.
ST78 = 1978
Next to that is your VIN.
Followed by interior colors and paint colors.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
thats alright beermonkey. you should switch to bourbon its cheaper!! I picked up a 30 oz for 12$ today thats like 30 nasty light beers. course it doesn't taste too great either.

Im with blake on this one, 2004r and go cruisin

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i would love to just throw the 2004r i got into my elky but i got it for 85 bucks form some guy on craigslist, so im not gonna take his word for it. im eather gonna get it rebuilt professionally or imma get this: http://store.boxwrench.net/KD-Tool-2398 ... _p_84.html and rebuild it myself. and i also need to get a tq converter and another transmission cross member.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
beermonkey9417 said:
i would love to just throw the 2004r i got into my elky but i got it for 85 bucks form some guy on craigslist, so im not gonna take his word for it. im eather gonna get it rebuilt professionally or imma get this: http://store.boxwrench.net/KD-Tool-2398 ... _p_84.html and rebuild it myself. and i also need to get a tq converter and another transmission cross member.
Monster transmission has a sale going rt now $400 off a 2004r

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
yeah, 1095 bucks is WAY too much for me. my limit is like 500 bucks, and thats making a few payments...

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
monster is expensive. I'd just take it to a shop, doubt you're going to break it very soon with the 307 not too much torque. How much is rebuild at shop vs rebuild kit and tools for DIY? Did he give you a tv cable and all the cable/shifter brackets

You don't necessarily need a new crossmember, jegsters are 120$ or so and may need to ream out the holes for fitment. Then theres the option of using your current crossmember and moving the mounting brackets on the frame, cut and weld or cut and bolt and have a shop weld the brackets where you want them, then make a 1/4" steel extension (for transmission bolt) and have it welded to the crossmember if your measurements are off a bit. Best to reinforce this extension with some little triangles or something welded from extension to crossmember. A lot of work but it can also save a lot of cash, 60-100$ depending on what you can do yourself and what scrap you have laying around.

... new stock converters go for around 120$ on ebay. If you can find someone to rebuild it well for 300-350$ thats right at your budget

just change the fluid/filter each year if you're worried about the quality of build.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i bought just the trans, no converter or detent cable or anything. and as for the shop rebuild vs. me rebuilding it its about the same but i have no knowlage of trans except what i read about in books or what ive seen on youtube. i do like the idea of doing it myself, but then comes the issue of not having a place to do it. my work MAY let me build it in the basement since theres sooo much room in there. but i hate my work :roll:. and as for the crossmember thats fine i can sell my th350 one and use that money tward the new one for the 2004r. and since my elky will be 1/2 cruser 1/2 bruser, id like a decent tq convert for that. i dont have access to welding tools yet, but this year is looking good to get a cheapy harbor freight one. but untill then, im stuck whit just regular tools and a dremil.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
was going to recommend redneck performance for a cheap performance TC but I didn't see their ebay store anymore too bad, they sold 2 and 3,000+ rpm converters for the price of stock ones.

I didn't like the jegster when I put it in there, it was a waste of money. I got the stock to dual hump crossmember, the humps were lousy and short in diameter and don't fit directly for anything but a 307 with manifolds so it required a lot of extra work fitting the exhaust. Also had to spend 15 minutes fitting and reaming the bolt holes as it didn't line up. In retrospect it would've been just as fast and a lot cheaper to use my stock crossmember, notch, and have a shop brace it for me. but your 2004r swap is a different deal, it'll be a lot more work to use the stock one.

harbor freight has great prices for everyday tools, I go crafstman if its something I'm going to really use a lot or any hand tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, just walk in crafstman and say here I need one thats not broken and they swap it out. You should see some of the things I do with a dremel and bolts :shock:

did you check for used mig welders? I've been looking but can't bring myself to buy one cuz I can buy tons of scrap and bolts for the price of a welder

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
ok this monday im taking my trans in to get rebuilt, but i want to decode the serial number to see what it was.can any one help? heres a pic:
l.jpg
can anyone tell me what its is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor