Working on the wagon..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work Jack! Glad to see someone has the drive to get things done.....mind you the crappy weather here isn't helping things either. Keep it up man!

tc1959 said:
Longroof79 said:
tc1959 said:
Way To Go,"Get ER Done" 8)
Thanks Paul.
I'm working at it.. :wink:
Looking good.
Jack my wife looked at your pics and said , Wow there is another Goof like you.
That's what you were doing back in 2007.
" I hope He dosen't stay out there until 2:00 AM like you did". :roll: :lol: :wink: .
Paul,
Your wife can certainly spot them...goofs, that is :lol: I haven't worked on it in the wee hours as of yet... :wink:
but I've been there over 25 yrs ago on my old Porsche. We were in my friends garage in the middle of winter up in NY. I rented a space heater and we had his garage cookin' at around 70 degrees. We were up 2-3 in the morning. I don't plan on doing that again...but you never know. History sometimes repeats itself... :?

O. D. Showtime said:
Nice work Jack! Glad to see someone has the drive to get things done.....mind you the crappy weather here isn't helping things either. Keep it up man!
Thanks Kevin!
As they say, you gotta strike while the iron is hot. I'm trying to get as much done before the heat of the summer is upon us.
I've been pricing paint lately,,,and :shock: ...talk about sticker shock...yowza!
I gotta get it done though. 🙂

Grandprixpaul said:
Nice what color you painting it
Thanks man! I'm looking at Mopar Cool Vanilla, VW Harvest Moon Beige...or KIA Dune.

LSCustoms said:
damn! you are getting it done and it looks great, keep the updates coming...
Hey Skip. thank you very much. I appreciate it man. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.

Car looks great Jack! What color was the car originally? Mine was a fine shade of S__t Brindle Brown. Hated to see that go, not.

Heard it was raining back East, probably not in Florida though. 111 Here today, too hot to play in the garage without the AC blasting so I surfed for partz.

Did you do your bumpers or have someone help you with them? They really look bitchin' on the car and give it an entirely different attitude. I still have that project to look forward to. Curious if you have any "in process" photos.

Do you have any interest in selling the dog dish hub caps I see in a couple of your photos? Do you have a full set of four? That's the look I'm going for on my 63 Impala SS.

Press on Captain, looks great. ...

Attachments

• Dog Dish Hubcaps.jpg
    Dog Dish Hubcaps.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 731
Thank you so much, Scott.
My car was white originally, so I'm going back to a white...sort of...more in the cream/ ivory family.

We actually had a few days of good rain...we needed it bad. I had to lay off the car for a few days, but that's alright.
Yeah, I heard about the extreme temps you guys have been having. Is Az affected by the wildfires like New Mexico?

I pretty much did the bumper work myself. I'm not a pro-fabricator by any means, but I was determined to carry this out.
For some reason I thought you had already narrowed your bumpers. I don't have any pics of the actual process...too bad.
But it's not too difficult. It pretty much entails using a cut-off wheel and a welder. Also the bumper shocks have to be drilled and collapsed. I can go over the entire process with you. The rear bumper support also needs to be trimmed at the ends.
I also chose to weld the bumper bolts flush. I can't stand the heads exposed. It looks cheap.

Ah, the dog dish caps? I had recently acquired them. They were from a '67 Camaro. I found them on Craigslist. They had their share of dings and small scrapes. They will be incorporated with the new look. It will be a mild semi-custom look...if that makes any sense.

Thanks again Scott. I love what you've done with your build so far....and again, keep up the good work.

Jack,

Great minds think alike and it sure sounds better than what my dad always used to say "two heads are thicker than one"! I started the bumpers and pansied out when I started getting too complex with my ideas. I want the bumpers to look like they belong on the car, the way I was headed they looked like they were from outer space or abstract art at best.

Be that as it may, your look is much more subtle and directionally correct for me. They say if someone copy's you it's the most sincere form of flattery. I don't know about all that but I'll let you be the judge. I always knew the bumpers needed to have a trim and go on a diet, but I was looking at it from the wrong perspective.I always intended to use the aluminum shock, non-shock mounts and cut them to a specific length to suck the bumpers in. It's not going to survive a five mile per hour impact, so what.

The other part was I was trying to build the bumpers on a table with no car to use as a guide. What I learned from that was don’t try to reinvent the wheel, just improve on the theory. Take the time to mount the parts even if it’s loose assembled, fit and refit and refit again until you get it right. Don’t assume because the measurements are right that it’s gonna look right and don’t move on just because you’re tired of working on that piece. Move on for a break and come back to finish the piece at a later time. They say, whoever they are, that a change is almost as good as a break. The world is full of mediocrity.

For me, the trick to this is to make as many changes as you can by making changes that people don’t even realize have been changed. Your bumpers are a perfect example. They make the car look more proportional but they don’t have a big sign on them saying “look at me, I’m different”. But they are different, and they look really good in the process.

It’s like moving the outside rear view mirrors forward, it’s like shaving the drip rail, it’s like rolling the fender lips; all of these things make the car standout even if most people don’t really know why.

Thanks for the inspiration, I’d say you’re a fabricator when you want to be, or need to be. Great ideas, great build. …

Scott. …

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor