Working on the wagon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You are dong a more thorough job than GM did building the car. It's going to be nice when you're done. I hope the weather that is on it's way doesn't affect you too much

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Steve,
I'm hoping it will be nice when it's done. It won't be a show car, but a cool, clean driver.

The General definitely cut corners when they built these cars. For instance, they painted the doors with the hinges on. Therefore there was no paint applied where the hinge meets the door and the post. Also the seams around the the door skin and door structure. I've scraped all the old caulking out, and lo and behold...rust starting under the caulking and paint.
The metal was all bare underneath. That's just a few of the things that I've noticed.

Weatherwise, I don't think that system is going to affect us too much, or at all. It looks like it may manifest into a nasty storm up north, though. Either way, I'll still monitor it's movement.

Hello Jack,

I'm glad to see your beautiful work.
I am always amazed by the skills of the people on the other side of the Atlantic (bravo)
I'm not often write on the forum (lack of time) but i read when i have a little time. (luckily ago topic reply notification :mrgreen: )

I'm really happy to follow your subject. This is very interesting. This week I replaced an engine from Golf 3 (maybe vw Rabbit for you), also the injection pump and turbo, I preferred working on a Gbody 8)

Good continuance my Friend.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Longroof79 said:
Also the seams around the the door skin and door structure. I've scraped all the old caulking out, and lo and behold...rust starting under the caulking and paint.
The metal was all bare underneath. That's just a few of the things that I've noticed.

I've had that too, and I am also scraping all the old seal sealer out, and blasting/cutting out the rust and epoxy priming it them seam sealer, then more primer, lol :?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Longroof79 said:
Thanks Steve,

The General definitely cut corners when they built these cars. For instance, they painted the doors with the hinges on. Therefore there was no paint applied where the hinge meets the door and the post. Also the seams around the the door skin and door structure. I've scraped all the old caulking out, and lo and behold...rust starting under the caulking and paint.

Just the way it's always been done...and still is. Cutting door skins off year-old cars, you find it that way, many with rust starting. Anywhere the dip tank coatings can't reach, we find it. GM still bolts rebars to cars THEN coats them.

They're just building user goods, not trying to make them last forever. That's where we come in :D

Looks like good progress, Jack. Someday, if I can ever get all the other stuff done I might get to do something with mine...but worst part is I'm still looking at others to buy :blam:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Looking good Jack. Isn't it amazing what pretty paint hides? I had to dump a beautiful '76 LeMans because there was NO undercoat or even paint under the rear seat area and rust was eating through. At least you will know for sure what is under your paint once you are done. And hey, what's with the Hurricanes bypassing Florida and hitting New York? This is twice now! You guys working the Voodoo on us? :rofl:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
sebastian305 said:
Hello Jack,

I'm glad to see your beautiful work.
I am always amazed by the skills of the people on the other side of the Atlantic (bravo)
I'm not often write on the forum (lack of time) but i read when i have a little time. (luckily ago topic reply notification :mrgreen: )

I'm really happy to follow your subject. This is very interesting. This week I replaced an engine from Golf 3 (maybe vw Rabbit for you), also the injection pump and turbo, I preferred working on a Gbody 8)

Good continuance my Friend.
==========================================================================================================
Hello Sebastien,

Good to hear from you, mon ami. I'm glad to see that you still drop in for a visit now and then. Thank you for you feedback.
How did your Golf engine swap go? Is it all back together and running?
How are you doing with the wagon?

Take care my friend. We'll talk again soon.

Jack

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ribbedroof said:
Longroof79 said:
Thanks Steve,

Just the way it's always been done...and still is. Cutting door skins off year-old cars, you find it that way, many with rust starting. Anywhere the dip tank coatings can't reach, we find it. GM still bolts rebars to cars THEN coats them.

They're just building user goods, not trying to make them last forever. That's where we come in :D

Looks like good progress, Jack. Someday, if I can ever get all the other stuff done I might get to do something with mine...but worst part is I'm still looking at others to buy :blam:
Thanks Brian,
You're absolutely right. These cars weren't meant to last as long as we expected them to. Back in the day, people didn't hold on to cars that long. They were traded out every couple of years, or used and abused and replaced.
We on the other hand try to correct some of these boo-boos as we come across them. But being car guys, that's what we do.
I was tempted to look for a replacement wagon. But I thought to myself...I'll be rebuilding that car over time...swapping motors, etc. I may as well keep what I have and see it finished.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
Looking good Jack. Isn't it amazing what pretty paint hides? I had to dump a beautiful '76 LeMans because there was NO undercoat or even paint under the rear seat area and rust was eating through. At least you will know for sure what is under your paint once you are done. And hey, what's with the Hurricanes bypassing Florida and hitting New York? This is twice now! You guys working the Voodoo on us? :rofl:
Thanks Mark.
Paint does hide many ills.. :? Due to the fact that the car has been out of the ice, snow, and salt. It has lasted longer than it would have had I still been up in the northeast. But even then, I was good about hosing the underneath of the car when the weather thawed out.

I hope that weather system, or systems bypass you guys up there. I'm glad that it's going to miss us, but hopefully it will turn and head out into the Atlantic. I don't wish bad weather on you, or anyone up there for that matter.
I'm sure my Bklyn buddies will fill me in.

Good luck my friend. Batten down the hatches.

Longroof79 said:
Hello Sebastien,

Good to hear from you, mon ami. I'm glad to see that you still drop in for a visit now and then. Thank you for you feedback.
How did your Golf engine swap go? Is it all back together and running?
How are you doing with the wagon?

Take care my friend. We'll talk again soon.

Jack

Hello Jack,

It is always a pleasure to come and read.

Yes the swap from Golf engine is ok, it works perfectly. this turbo diesel engine there two different injections systems and with or without recycling of exhaust gases. I have rendered this service a good friend, it can not change cars at the moment.
My Malibu Wagon is still my only car, I keep preciously, she is faithful. A second car (European) should I buy because gasoline is always more expensive in France.

A plus tard Jacques.
Good night my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor