Working on the wagon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Wow! Rare they are.

My car is doing well. I went to a Hotchkis sponsored race in CA in October. There's still some tuning to do, especially in the rear sway bar and spring rate. It's a bit of a game right now balancing between under and over steer but I should have it worked out within a couple more races. I'm also limited on traction, I really need a good set of 200 tread wear track tires. Been looking at the Falken R615s. Everyone's telling me I'll pick up 2-3 seconds just by bolting them on, and that would've put me in the top 10 at the Hotchkis event. $300 each + another set of wheels is a spendy pill to swallow so we'll see how much $ my younger kids can earn me selling lemonade this coming year, lol!

We put all my old suspension on Roman's car, except for the 3" drop rear CPP springs, we used a set of 2" Eibach rear springs I got from a friend instead. His car has a great stance! Mine is flat front to back, while his with the slightly smaller front tire has about a 1" rake. We both like each other's stance better, lol! I plan on swapping my 200 # rear springs to 300 # before the first race in March and I'll probably raise mine up about 3/4" when I do that. More than likely we'll end up putting the 3" CPP springs in his car to level it out. He's searching and saving for an LS/ T56 to swap in and he has his eye on some black 18" XXR 521s for his car- http://www.xxrwheels.com/xxr_521.shtml

Sorry to hijack a little talking about my car. Even though I built my car to be a little obnoxious, I sure like the subtle look of yours. Keep up the good work!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ben,
I still think it's cool seeing one of our type wagons zipping around the pylons. I'm sure it blows a lot of minds seeing a wagon outpace some high end foreign machinery.
Putting a manual trans in there would give you a lot of oomph and control.
Track tires @$300. ea. is a hard pill to swallow....plus getting an extra set of rims for them...ouch! ca ching! What you need is a sponsor. :)

Roman sounds like he has some good ideas. He's going to have to step up his paper route, or find some odd jobs to do. Poppa has been rubbing off on him... :lol:

Your build pretty much started out as custom/ pro-touring car and has gotten to be more of a serious auto-x racer/ track car, which isn't a bad thing. :wink: It's a bad to the bone car...I dig it!

Thanks for your compliments.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Thanks! The guys at SCCA love it, and at the Hotchkis event John Hotchkis did the announcing and labled my car the "crowd favorite of the day". Even though it wasn't the fastest or prettiest, because it's a wagon people love it.

Roman has a lot of good ideas. Unfortunately he's just like me, his wallet doesn't match his imagination. Taking things step by step I believe often helps ya appreciate the end result more though.

I like to think of my car as the true meaning of a Pro Touring car. Unlike many PT cars, I actually drive mine, everyday. I have no qualms hopping in it and taking a 12 hour road trip to an autocross race, it gets about 18 mpg on the freeway, and it has even towed my Nova for 2500 miles in 3 days, twice. It comfortably seats 5, and unlike a pony car my back seat actually has leg room and the cargo area holds a whole lotta cargo. In those respects, I respect the wagon. :) It's fun to be associated with a whole group of guys that like 'em and see them as personal hot rods rather than grandpa mobiles. It's way cool that my 16 yr old son wanted a wagon too. If he asked for a 1990s Civic I would've disowned him, lol!

Coppertop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2014
Longroof79 said:
Roman sounds like he has some good ideas. He's going to have to step up his paper route, or find some odd jobs to do. Poppa has been rubbing off on him... :lol:
This and the Civic comment by my dad made me laugh pretty hard :rofl:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Coppertop said:
Longroof79 said:
This and the Civic comment by my dad made me laugh pretty hard :rofl:

We're both happy you didn't go the way of the rice burner :wink: :lol: Keep the progress coming. Maybe buy a lottery ticket or two.. :D
You've got a great wagon to start with...and some cool ideas.

bishop gp

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2015
Evansville,IN
This whole thread takes 2 hours to read yikes but love the build. Has anybody ever seen a bumper tuck on a coupe? If so how did they tuck the bumper when it looks like the filler neck would be in the way?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks man!
What are you working on? If it's a Malibu coupe, there's a thread about bumper shortening and tucking on Maliburacing. It was in the autobody/ paint section. If i find it again, I'll post a link to it.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Not too much lately, Blake. However, I added a 3rd brake light from a Volvo 960 wagon.,,and a few weeks ago I added some fender flags to keep the old school theme going.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor