Status
Not open for further replies.

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
Re: Worst modification you can make to a g body

Oldsmoletick said:
Even more off topic, but oh well, I wanna see pics of this Rod!!! Sounds like an awesome ride! 8)

I'll have to dig some up of when it was in mock up.. it's all blown apart in the shop now.. I'm debating on sticking with the coupe body or going with a '26 Willys Sedan I shortened down into a pick up cab with a model A box.. The coupe body needs A LOT of work.. the cab just needs to be metal finished and primed/painted..

here's a quick run down of it though.

'18-'22 Dodge Frame
pretty much the stock dodge spring set up (parallel leaves front and rear 3/4 Elliptical in the back, pretty much a regular leaf spring, with a 1/4 elliptic on top... you'll see when I find pics, they've been de arched a bit and had a couple leaves removed to lower it.) both axles are mounted on top of the springs to set it down a bit more too..
'34 Dodge "wavy tube" axle (with a 3" drop thanks to my buddy Sid and his bad *ss axle jig)
'36 Olds Delco/Lovejoy lever action shocks in back
'38 Chevy Delco/Lovejoy lever action shocks in front (took the rear shocks and fab'd new arms)
'36 Chevy Steering box
'36 Chevy 'X' member/drive shaft loop (looks cool as hell)
'60 Ford PU 9 inch rear (smooth back, 4.11's) needs to be narrowed
'40 Ford "juice brakes" on '37 Ford spindles, (just had to drill the king pin holes a little bigger on the dodge axle)
'22 Dodge Coupe Body or '26 Willys PU cab w/ '29 Model A box
both are chopped, the coupe 5", the "pick up" 4".. no channel.
'29 Pontiac Grill Shell and drum style head lights
Model A tail lights (until I find something cooler)
'60 Ford 223 w/ an 80's 4spd OD Top Loader
home made log intake with 3 single barrel holley 1904 glass bowl carbs
home made split header
McCulloch super charger (came off of a Studebaker V8) (running 5-7lbs of boost)
bored .030 over, 262 Ford 6 crank, custom ground Clay Smith cam

Haven't figured out what dash to run yet, I have '38 Chevy, '36 Chevy, and '47 Plymouth dashes with factory gauges, and everything.. but they all look soooo cool!

The interior is going to be very simple.. no frills, just a simple bench seat covered in heavy duty black vinyl, a black rubber mat on the floor. what ever dash I pick the gauges will be restored with modern electronics, and the trim, clocks etc, for the dash will be re done also.

Paint is going to be a 1920's "Farm All Gray"... (think battle ship grayish).. with black wheels ('36 Olds 16" Artillery wheels, with Olds caps and trim rings), and bias ply black wall tires.. (probably firestones, not sure on sizes)

Plus there's lots of random stuff I think is cool, Like an E brake handle from a '36 Chevy I had laying around, door handles from a '38 Chevy, an aftermarket overflow tank from the 30's, I might restore a radio from a '38 Chevy if there's room under the dash and I pick the '38 Chevy Dash.. If I go with the pick up cab I have a really cool gas tank from a Farm All F12 that will get mounted in the box.. There's lots of little random brackets and pieces I've been saving off other antique cars..

when I find pics I'll post them up..

9a pilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2011
904 area code
The worst modification I made to my '81 was having a sunroof installed. WTF was I thinking? It caused more follow on damage to the roof & headliner due to nusiance leaks. Should I ever be able to restore the car, this modification done in 1991 will be the major reason why the whole roof will need to be replaced.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny

@ silent_orchestra : Sounds killer! :twisted: The willys body sounds neat, some day I'd like to build something off the wall like that maybe when I have more room to work with, lol. Very interesting with the I6 supercharged, can't say as I've ever seen that, most I've seen have a flathead V8 or a disguised sbc lurking between the rails. Friend of mine is in process of building a 29 Cadillac, kinda of a rat rod meets modern era type deal. He grafted a 73 electra rear section (4 link setup) onto a 26 chevy truck frame, dropped in a buick 455, th400, 52 ford truck front beam axle leaf sprung of course, lol, the 29 cadillac cowl, with the rest of the body being homemade. I think he's going for a t-bucket type body when all said and done.

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE

Oldsmoletick said:
@ silent_orchestra : Sounds killer! :twisted: The willys body sounds neat, some day I'd like to build something off the wall like that maybe when I have more room to work with, lol. Very interesting with the I6 supercharged, can't say as I've ever seen that, most I've seen have a flathead V8 or a disguised sbc lurking between the rails. Friend of mine is in process of building a 29 Cadillac, kinda of a rat rod meets modern era type deal. He grafted a 73 electra rear section (4 link setup) onto a 26 chevy truck frame, dropped in a buick 455, th400, 52 ford truck front beam axle leaf sprung of course, lol, the 29 cadillac cowl, with the rest of the body being homemade. I think he's going for a t-bucket type body when all said and done.

I got the blower idea from Hot Rod, there was a little modified roadster that had a supercharged straight 8 packard.. cool as hell... http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/ ... index.html But Kaiser had a blown flat head I6 in the 50's, along with a few other manufacturers.. (Kaisers was a Continental industrial engine) http://www.streetlegaltv.com/wp-content ... aiser2.jpg

here's a cool Stude V8 too.. http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_ima ... _large.jpg

My favorite part about my project is all the main parts were free, aside from the transmission, the blower, and the front axle set up (axle, brakes, spindles)... Most of them came from cars I junked, or just parts friends had laying around.

The 223 came in my old '60 F100.. that was another free deal.. ran great, but then I stumbled into a '64 262 (big 223), so I decided to build a stroker, then the blower came, and the machine shop bill just kept getting higher.. I could make 3x the power for what I've put in it with a Small block Chevy, Ford, Mopar, Olds, etc.. but it's been fun figuring it all out.. And it's cool when people see the engine sitting in my shop.

I already have my next 3-4 projects figured out after the dodge and the cutlass are done.. I've got 2 303 Olds Rockets, a 394 Olds Rocket, a 248 Straight 8 Buick, and 2 218 Chrysler Flat Head I6's that need homes lol.

your friends project sounds cool too, I like the Buick 455!

here's a link to some of the things I get to play with @ work!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... eTheater=1

if the fb link doesn't work for you I'll post some pics up later for everybody to see..

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Awesome ideas there, that's how I am going to attempt mine, just gather up whatever I can for little to no cost and build from that, should be fun. I like the charging ideas, I may look into that a bit further, be kinda neat, I do have an olds 455 waiting under my work bench , :lol: . I'd have other findings too if I had a place to put them, lol all in due time though. Definitly looking forward to pictures though (facebook not alowed to view link).

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
Oldsmoletick said:
Awesome ideas there, that's how I am going to attempt mine, just gather up whatever I can for little to no cost and build from that, should be fun. I like the charging ideas, I may look into that a bit further, be kinda neat, I do have an olds 455 waiting under my work bench , :lol: . I'd have other findings too if I had a place to put them, lol all in due time though. Definitly looking forward to pictures though (facebook not alowed to view link).

I'll start a thread when I get off work, with some pics..

Boost is sweet! And with one of the older McCulloch/Paxton blowers the engines don't need much modification.. I've seen plenty on stock engines (though most 50's engines had low comp.) Here's a build thread on a '51 Rambler on a hot rod site I'm on a lot... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=520340

Turbo's are a good option too! And the 455 would be sweet! But if you wanna play with an inline with some good after market support things to check out would be 300 Fords, 250 Chevy's, and Slant Six Mopars.. lots of cool parts (I have a thing for inlines, always wanted a 250 in a G-body Malibu), and they all respond well to boost.... lots of boost.. (if you want to see some interesting turbo set ups research Ak Miller, he used to sell custom turbo kits back in the day)

Here's another type of boost that pretty damn cool.. A Galaxie with a Latham Super Charger, and a Turbonique Drag Axle (small jet engine attached to the rear diff) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... turbonique

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Mounting gauges on the hood (street car)

Shaved door handles

Tacky dated colors

Chopped roof (haven't seen it done, but seen it talked about)

Putting money into a 7.5

Big huge rimes with stock brakes

Tweed or velvet interior

$1000 in gauges for you stock engine

Exposed bondo. That stuff will absorb moisture like a sponge and rust your sheet metal. Same goes for primer

Chrome ANYWHERE on the underside of the car

Over the top audio/video systems. Yes I like stereos and bass. But if you've got a $5000+ system in your car, and that's the only mod you've done. Then you just don't get it, hand in your man card and go buy a Honda.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
firstly hood gauges are badass as ****... its oldschool and awesome, even though it looks stupid.... i saw a regal gnx with a boost gauge on the hood a couple weeks ago, i almost pissed myself.... jesus being reborn or lazarus or whomever... dont give a ****.... gnx with boost awesomeness totally ****ing awesome also

its all about being a badass haha.... it was 115 degrees one day last week and the days around it were like 104 and 107... i road with my window down because the refreshing outside air is way better than the asthmatic cough from my flimsy vents.... those floppy vents piss me off so much i just wanna put tachs in all of them.... speaking of vents and awful mods.... lets talk factory equipment.... WTF was gm thinking when they made the last vent on the passenger side plastic airbag trim lower than the first one jesus ****ing christ how does that look appropriate at all... other than that and body kits i really dont care what you do with your car... im really nit picky so my criticism isnt fair.... i ****in hate everything

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I bought my 81' Malibu wagon, I was glad to see no AC because I wanted to put a big Pontiac V-8 in there and I did. Yeah, July and August sucked, but hey it was fast. Now, closing in on 60, I want the AC, so I kept it in the Bonnewagon and slipped a small V-8 in. Now July and August are no sweat and I sure would have been pissed if some prior owner had ripped it out.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
silent_orchestra said:
I'll start a thread when I get off work, with some pics..

Boost is sweet! And with one of the older McCulloch/Paxton blowers the engines don't need much modification.. I've seen plenty on stock engines (though most 50's engines had low comp.) Here's a build thread on a '51 Rambler on a hot rod site I'm on a lot... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=520340

Turbo's are a good option too! And the 455 would be sweet! But if you wanna play with an inline with some good after market support things to check out would be 300 Fords, 250 Chevy's, and Slant Six Mopars.. lots of cool parts (I have a thing for inlines, always wanted a 250 in a G-body Malibu), and they all respond well to boost.... lots of boost.. (if you want to see some interesting turbo set ups research Ak Miller, he used to sell custom turbo kits back in the day)

Here's another type of boost that pretty damn cool.. A Galaxie with a Latham Super Charger, and a Turbonique Drag Axle (small jet engine attached to the rear diff) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... turbonique

Spent a while checking those out, that rambler is awesome, course I am an amc guy of sorts, hahaha. An inline would be cool, economy wise vs the bigblock, I'd have to go AMC if I did an inline though, 258 with a 4.0 head and cam, quadrajet, and they rip pretty decent (I'll be doing this to me eagle probably next year, lol). I have seen small blips about the thrust axles before, but had completely forgot about them, lol, very interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor