Worst Vehicle Ever

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
There were two here in Tucson, a few years back tried to get to restore. They are low serial number originally owned by Bricklin. However the property owner will just let them rot.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I agree with the Land Rover as being top. The late 90's and early 2000's models with the 4.0 liter (the old Buick 215) were horrible with oil and coolant leaks.....and then everything bolted to the car itself....climate control, air springs, thrust arms and other suspension parts
Next would be the Cadillac Catera with that POS Opal 3.0 liter that was shared with the Saturn Vue.
Chrysler LH platform cars (Intrepid, Concord, Vision)
Any front drive Chrysler with the 2.7 liter V6
Anything Ford with a 3 valve V8
Jaguar X Types and S Types....and the Lincoln LS
On late model cars.....if it has a 2.0 liter or smaller engine it is typically trouble
Ford 1.0, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0
GM 1.4, 1.5, 1.8, 2.0
Volvo 2.0
BMW 2.0
Mercedes 2.0
Volkswagen/Audi 2.0
Honda 1.5 turbo
And although larger....any Chrysler/Fiat with the Multiair engines.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I feel like I'm talking to a couple guys at work but I expected different from you "car guys". I don't like when workmates ask for my opinion on cars. Speed, condition and price often take my opinion to way out of their zone.

If ALL you want to talk about is reliability, cost to buy, cost to fix, mileage. Strictly transportation / dollar. Find me a better car than a 2001-11 Honda Civic with a manual trans.
Since I love exciting cars, they will never make my list. I see alot of smacktalk about Mopar but SRT's and their musclecars from the 60's make them my Top choice. Having an 11 sec Road Runner during my teen years absolutely skews my opinion.

While a Grand National is a cool car. If there was a price/distance driven calculation. It would not even make the page.

Hard to argue with reliability but I'd be okay with a ZR1 Corvette knowing it will never get to 200,000 miles.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1634344985351.jpg
    FB_IMG_1634344985351.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 11

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If ALL you want to talk about is reliability, cost to buy, cost to fix, mileage. Strictly transportation / dollar. Find me a better car than a 2001-11 Honda Civic with a manual trans.
I'd vote the Toyota platforms over the Honda ones. Better quality and feel while driving at roughly same price.

Those civics weren't exactly 'cheap' new, you were talking upper teens to twenty range, base stripped.

Now, if you're arguing a used one you could buy a couple years and have to rack up miles, I'd argue go with an early 2000s Lexus aka rebadged Toyota with comfy heated leather and bells and whistles while getting the 300k mile engines you (maybe) changed the oil on in an automatic... they got slower with age and sludge, but, you didn't need to fix anything.

Mon got a hand-down civic from the grandmother when she quit driving when she was somewhere late 70s or early 90s. I forget how old she was at the time. It was always breaking accessories and suspension wise. My wife wound up with an accord as her first car, what a POS that was. $500-600/mo every month in repairs before we met. Eventually I took over fixing it... for a couple months. Then I junked it and got her a brand new mustang, got suck of working on that POS.

Going on 160k in the mustang and all its had is one set of brake pads and some tires. $/mile were already at less than 10cents/mile use all in (excluding gas/insurance), if you subtracted current residual value probably down to about 2cents/mile. If you let me deduct insurance and diminished value money, I could sell it for more today then we invested and the car was free :LOL:

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I'd vote the Toyota platforms over the Honda ones. Better quality and feel while driving at roughly same price.

Those civics weren't exactly 'cheap' new, you were talking upper teens to twenty range, base stripped.

Now, if you're arguing a used one you could buy a couple years and have to rack up miles, I'd argue go with an early 2000s Lexus aka rebadged Toyota with comfy heated leather and bells and whistles while getting the 300k mile engines you (maybe) changed the oil on in an automatic... they got slower with age and sludge, but, you didn't need to fix anything.

Mon got a hand-down civic from the grandmother when she quit driving when she was somewhere late 70s or early 90s. I forget how old she was at the time. It was always breaking accessories and suspension wise. My wife wound up with an accord as her first car, what a POS that was. $500-600/mo every month in repairs before we met. Eventually I took over fixing it... for a couple months. Then I junked it and got her a brand new mustang, got suck of working on that POS.

Going on 160k in the mustang and all its had is one set of brake pads and some tires. $/mile were already at less than 10cents/mile use all in (excluding gas/insurance), if you subtracted current residual value probably down to about 2cents/mile. If you let me deduct insurance and diminished value money, I could sell it for more today then we invested and the car was free :LOL:

For debates sake, I'd put a Corolla within cents of a similar Civic. They are direct competitors in the same price range. It's just I've never personally owned a Corolla but did have 2 Civics. I still have an 06 Civic ($2600) that my daughter drives and it's a great car if you can stomach 140hp. You bring many new parameters into the debate. I agree Lexus is a good car, my mother has an RX350 (but we paid $26,000) and I visit the Lexus manufacturing plant in Cambridge Ontario often. While everyone makes a car every 45 to 60 seconds, they spend almost 2 minutes on each RX350 but in the used market, you will pay 2 or 3 times the $$ for a Lexus vs a Corolla. So that takes it off my cost/km.

Not here to down play any Honda or Toyota, they are both reliable. If that was not your experience I hope you know that is rare. I will never buy one for myself.

I still prefer American Muscle.

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I feel like I'm talking to a couple guys at work but I expected different from you "car guys". I don't like when workmates ask for my opinion on cars. Speed, condition and price often take my opinion to way out of their zone.
I made this post in the aspect of what is the biggest piece of hot garbage out there, not what is the most reliable, trying to figure out where that misunderstanding came in..

Funny you mention that as far as reliable, my daily driver is a full option loaded 2009 Honda Civic 5spd Manual I bought with my GI Bill money while I was going to college for my degree. One of the best investments that I ever made considering it was bought with my tax money I put in to the system, I'll take that return. :)

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
2006 Scion XB...bought with 247K for $500. Fleet car. Currently 291K with 1 alternator, 1 water pump, and 1 front hub/bearing. Everything works and gets 32-35 MPG.

Absolutely soul-less, but cheap

Currently it has decided that the Cat is inefficient, started about a week ago. Pondering course of action. It for sure won't be getting the $1200 OE replacement

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
2006 Scion XB...bought with 247K for $500. Fleet car. Currently 291K with 1 alternator, 1 water pump, and 1 front hub/bearing. Everything works and gets 32-35 MPG.

Currently it has decided that the Cat is inefficient, started about a week ago. Pondering course of action. It for sure won't be getting the $1200 OE replacement
O2 simulator.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

Ex brother-in-law had one of those little boxes before he traded it on an FJ Cruiser.

Can't remember if it was a 2 or 2.25 inch Exhaust. If it's closer to 2.25, and more importantly, IF you want to waste money on it, I've still got a pair of Flowmaster 2.5" cats new in the boxes on the shelf, obd2 style and federal certified as if that matters. 1/4" adapter on either end and it'd fit on a 2.25 exhaust.

If you needed one to get it going id let it go a good bit less then the $200 it'd normally be. Or maybe even trade for ????

Part #2840225

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor