Would like some opinions on racing slicks, and E85 fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
custom442 said:
I was not comparing anything, but since you believe I was then yes pump gas and water/methanol will have very good results on a turbo application or higher cylinder pressures, its cheaper and more readily available unless you live in the corn belt or somewhere in the midwest I dunno where he gets it that cheap, its at least 3.20-3.30 here.

You were the one comparing it to water/meth injection. I even quoted it. Not that that matters, and ya i live in the corn belt, e85 is cheaper than regular 87 octane here. Since I run premium it is much cheaper, and a helluva lot cheaper than race gas, that runs the same octane. With the octane of e85 and the cooling factor of it, it would make water/meth useless in a lot of applications.
As far as the sales pitch, i don't care. You were the one that was making a comparison to water/meth injection and saying that e85 doesn't cool the intake charge down, wrong. I'm all for e85 obviously, if you aren't then great don't buy it.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
jrm81bu said:
You were the one comparing it to water/meth injection. I even quoted it. Not that that matters, and ya i live in the corn belt, e85 is cheaper than regular 87 octane here. Since I run premium it is much cheaper, and a helluva lot cheaper than race gas, that runs the same octane. With the octane of e85 and the cooling factor of it, it would make water/meth useless in a lot of applications.
As far as the sales pitch, i don't care. You were the one that was making a comparison to water/meth injection and saying that e85 doesn't cool the intake charge down, wrong. I'm all for e85 obviously, if you aren't then great don't buy it.

I was not comparing anything if you read the first post I said E85 does not cool combustion temps as much as water because it burns. Its going to cool IATs because of the higher latent heat of alochols vs carbon chains. If you took it as my comparing the two because you got all defensive too bad. The second post I was comparing because thats what you wanted from your elicited response.

edit - If you ran e85 and water injection that would be a great combination as well, if the e85 is cheap enough. Hell if it was 2.30 or whatever I'd be doing it too, because you're burning more e85 per mile it doesn't make sense to do it in places where ethanol is about the same price and more than premium gas.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
RegalBegal said:
The best reasons to buy an E85 vehicle are to decrease U.S. dependence on petroleum — which is non-renewable and comes mainly from foreign countries — and to keep more of your money in this country.
E85 also has environmental benefits, although the degree is in question.

The problem with this is e85 is entirely subsidized by the government and dependant on the petroleum industry, we're really not serving any greater environmental purpose by doing it. We're using more energy to make ethanol than to refine gas, and we've got more money in it than we get out of it. It is great for decreasing dependance but its not the best thing to rely on. We would have to make 3-4 times (or more) the amount being produced now just to make a dent in passenger car fuel market, there's just not enough resources. If one bad winter or drought hits gas goes up tremendously. But there is the benefit of sending money into the industrial economy which needs to be stimulated. Hydrogen and electricity are the future, ethanol was a good try but it didn't work. Works well for turbos though :D

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
custom442 said:
I was not comparing anything if you read the first post I said E85 does not cool combustion temps as much as water because it burns. Its going to cool IATs because of the higher latent heat of alochols vs carbon chains. If you took it as my comparing the two because you got all defensive too bad. The second post I was comparing because thats what you wanted from your elicited response.

edit - If you ran e85 and water injection that would be a great combination as well, if the e85 is cheap enough. Hell if it was 2.30 or whatever I'd be doing it too, because you're burning more e85 per mile it doesn't make sense to do it in places where ethanol is about the same price and more than premium gas.

I wasn't getting defensive at your comparison. It was the attitude in the sentence after that. You dismmissed everything that was said about it because you don't think it's an alternative. It's great that you "know" all the facts about e85, ha. In my research I believe I have also found that it doesn't work well with water injection.

custom442 said:
The problem with this is e85 is entirely subsidized by the government and dependant on the petroleum industry, we're really not serving any greater environmental purpose by doing it. We're using more energy to make ethanol than to refine gas, and we've got more money in it than we get out of it. I'm curious as to where you are getting this info. The problem with any info regarding ethanol is there is arguments for both sides that defeat the other's side. So finding "truth" about it is almost worthless.It is great for decreasing dependance but its not the best thing to rely on. We would have to make 3-4 times (or more) the amount being produced now just to make a dent in passenger car fuel market, there's just not enough resources. There is alot of sources to get ethanol, not just corn. There is a coupls of grasses that you can get it from, that will grow in more diverse enviroments.If one bad winter or drought hits gas goes up tremendously. But there is the benefit of sending money into the industrial economy which needs to be stimulated. Hydrogen and electricity are the future, ethanol was a good try but it didn't work. You honestly think that electricity is the cheaper route? I don't see ethanol going away, it will mostly ,for the time being, a combination of all of the above. Works well for turbos though :D

All this aside, my interest in it is from a performance standpoint not totally relieving us of oil dependency or being greener.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
Holy crap, guys, I just wanted some opinions on E85 and some slicks!! :shock: I did not mean to start a "shitstorm" and have you guys arguing about what it can and can't do. I am using it, my car runs on average a 1/2 second quicker, it runs 20 degrees cooler, it costs as of yesterday, $2.98 per gallon, versus around, by now, about $70.00 or more for Sunoco 112 or better, so whats not to like. :? It's a race car guys, not a street car, or street/strip car. I also have friends, racing buddies that run the E85, and they love it. :D As far as it being corrosive, let me just say that the people that I PERSONALLY KNOW, plus the people that did my "conversion"kit, have not had ANY CORROSION ISSUES as of yet. :roll: I fully intend to keep you guys informed, and I've got no reason to blow smoke up your butts. Do you use more, yes. Is using a little more worth it, hell yes. I think someone said something about it would have to be 28% cheaper, right? What % is lets say $3.00 against $70.00 or more? :shock: Now could we move on to some suggestions for slicks, or will this cause another shitstorm too?? :lol: No Good-years. Either Hoosiers, or Mickey Thompsons. 32x14.5x15, and the car weighs 2435 with my fat *ss in it. Right now the car has D1 Good-years on it. I'm leaning towards Hoosiers, also getting new fronts, same brand. I want a "medium" compound, or a tire for a lightweight car should work. Once I choose the brand, I'll check for available compounds. Thanks, and please, "fight nice children"! 8)
...................mickey-d :shock: :lol:

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Can't help ya with slicks, never ran them. I was wondering who you had do your conversion? I was thinking about Mark Sullens, or maybe going with a pre-built carb from Classic Motorsports or Horsepower Innovations.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
jrm81bu said:
I wasn't getting defensive at your comparison. It was the attitude in the sentence after that.

Ya sometimes I'm just a dick I dunno why, I read back on these posts and feel like a crazy woman

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
custom442 said:
jrm81bu said:
I wasn't getting defensive at your comparison. It was the attitude in the sentence after that.

Ya sometimes I'm just a dick I dunno why, I read back on these posts and feel like a crazy woman

That's alright, there's a few on here that would call me that too. I believe i've even called myself that on here also.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
jrm81bu said:
Can't help ya with slicks, never ran them. I was wondering who you had do your conversion? I was thinking about Mark Sullens, or maybe going with a pre-built carb from Classic Motorsports or Horsepower Innovations.
The guy who did my kit, is located in North Carolina. His name is Justus Daniel. The kit is $265.00 with shipping, or you can send him your carb, and for another $100.00 he will build it and test it on an engine for you. His Web Site is: raceone85.com Lots of excellent information there, and he's one of the guys that uses what he sells. He's got a '52 all steel Henry J, SBC with a Blower and 2 E85 carbs. Finished second in points last year with the "Carolina Gassers". I hope you give it a try, you won't be disappointed. ................mickey-d :lol:

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Ok thanks. I had seen that site before but had forgot about it. I will add it to my list of possible conversions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor