Would like some opinions on racing slicks, and E85 fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
I may look into this. From my understanding, E85 is more ideal for higher compression engines. With cost of gas rising, and living in the corn belt, I can get E85 easily and cheaper than 87 octane around me. I don't drive my car much due to gas prices (8 mpg my car gets). So if I can spend 40-50 cents less per gallon, and just get a little less gas mileage out of it, it may be worth it.

I still haven't figured out what my car is tuned for. Heck, it may already be tuned for e85 and that's why my mileage sucks! What are thoughts on running E85 on a low compression engine? I don't think my engine is even 9:1

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
Hey there, Hurst Olds. One of my friends, guy named Tom Blake, just got his carb back from Justus Daniel at RaceonE85.com. He has a 1984 Mustang with a 572 BBC, 9.5 compression engine. He loves the fuel, and so does the engine. There are some pics of the car in the Photo Gallery at M&M Speed, and I think he made a post about it under "our plaything". Check it out.
http://mandmspeed.com/ ..................mickey-d :lol:

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm trying to figure out what all is done for this 'conversion'. Looks like mostly a jet change. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'm going to definately look into this more. I don't have a Holley, so I may have to spring for something like that just so I can easily convert it over.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
HurstOlds said:
Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm trying to figure out what all is done for this 'conversion'. Looks like mostly a jet change. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'm going to definately look into this more. I don't have a Holley, so I may have to spring for something like that just so I can easily convert it over.

I'm running an Edelbrock so that's why I was looking into just buying an already converted carb from one of the guys I mentioned. Although, I may try to pick up a used Holley or something at the swap meet. It's more invovled than a jet swap, the metering blocks were never meant to flow enough fuel for ethanol and they are usually what is swapped out. Then you need to decide what you want/need to change in the fuel system. There is not a lot of mechanical pumps that can flow enough in a high power application and some electric aren't meant to work with it.
I'm looking at going to a fuel cell, mostly because of my hacked setup on my original tank. Maybe 1/2in hard line up to the engine, with as minor amount of rubber I can get away with. And I will run the Holley Blue pump til it has problems. This is all done to be as cheap as I can get away with.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
I would think that any carb can be converted to use the E85 fuel, but I'm not sure. The kit for my Demon consisted of:#86 main jets(2), #94 secondary jets(2), .042(2) accelerator pump nozzles(squirters), 30cc gflt(green)accelerator pump diaphragms(2), 4.5 power valve for primary metering block(secondary uses a brass plug), .026 high speed air bleeds(4), .061 idle air bleeds(4), 2 umbrella ck valves, new Billet metering blocks with short black"whistles"(2), .130 stainless steel needle and seat assemblies(2), metering plate and bowl gaskets, and instructions with tune-up suggestions. You can call Justus Daniel and ask him what carbs he can convert, 1-704-612-9769. ................mickey-d :lol:

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
jrm81bu said:
HurstOlds said:

I'm running an Edelbrock so that's why I was looking into just buying an already converted carb from one of the guys I mentioned. Although, I may try to pick up a used Holley or something at the swap meet. It's more invovled than a jet swap, the metering blocks were never meant to flow enough fuel for ethanol and they are usually what is swapped out. Then you need to decide what you want/need to change in the fuel system. There is not a lot of mechanical pumps that can flow enough in a high power application and some electric aren't meant to work with it.
I'm looking at going to a fuel cell, mostly because of my hacked setup on my original tank. Maybe 1/2in hard line up to the engine, with as minor amount of rubber I can get away with. And I will run the Holley Blue pump til it has problems. This is all done to be as cheap as I can get away with.
What a lot of guys don't realize, is that you need to have volume, not pressure. 4 to 6 pounds of fuel pressure is plenty, you just have to get the volume up. Any good aftermarket manual pump will get the job done, and you can help the process with a decent electric pump. Check with the pump manufacturer about using it with Ethanol, I use a Bg280 on my car with a pressure regulator set to 5 pounds. If you run 1/2 inch line to the front you'll be good to go. :lol:

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
mickey-d said:
jrm81bu said:
HurstOlds said:

What a lot of guys don't realize, is that you need to have volume, not pressure. 4 to 6 pounds of fuel pressure is plenty, you just have to get the volume up. Any good aftermarket manual pump will get the job done, and you can help the process with a decent electric pump. Check with the pump manufacturer about using it with Ethanol, I use a Bg280 on my car with a pressure regulator set to 5 pounds. If you run 1/2 inch line to the front you'll be good to go. :lol:

Oh ya volume is very important with e85. The problem with most mechanicals isn't volume it's compatibility with the ethanol. There is a lot of people that say they will be ok even if they aren't listed as being compatible, citing the ethanol isn't as hard on the rubber diaphram as peolpe think. I just ruled out the mechanicals to err on the side of making sure there is no issue. That said the "blue" pump isn't supposed to be compatible either, but since I have it, i'll risk it and replace it if need be. As far as other carbs being converted, ya they can but are usually limited in size(cfm). I like my Edelbrocks but they only have one for e85 in a 600 or 650 size(can't remeber which). I think the problem falls to too small of passageways in the carb that can't readily be changed as with the metering blocks on a Holley style carb.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
I was thinking along those lines when i told you to ck into what they can do. See if you can find an old 4150 and get a kit for it, along with a gasket set. You just need to supply your engine info to get the right kit. Or, you send out your carb, and for another hundred bucks, they will convert it and test run it for you. You'll get it back ready to go. .........mickey-d :lol:

Jaybird87SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2011
Michigan
Just curious, I've got the body off my Monte for some much needed frame modifications, but what is the final verdict on E-85? Now would be the time to upgrade the fuel supply system. I've talked to a few people and one of our local engine builders about the change but there just aren't a lot of people running this stuff. My '08 Sierra runs it once in awhile, but I'm more interested in detonation as E85 is a LOT cheaper than race gas and pretty plentiful around here. I've done a ton of research on-line but would like to hear from some people who are running it.
I would be happy to make a thread on the topic, or post my build if anyone is interested. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable guys on this one.
Thanks in advance for any input!

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
Jaybird, I can only give you my own opinions and results on the E85. I also have several friends that use it in their race cars, and 2 guys who have "cruisers" that they also race occasionally. The only improvements to the fuel systems,"that I know about", are running 1/2 inch steel or aluminum line to the front, and then Steel Braided Line the rest of the way. The Ethanol is NOT CORROSIVE like Methanol Alcohol. You can also get by with a good mechanical fuel pump(aftermarket)and/or an electric pump to help, or just stand alone. You need volume, not pressure. Just remember, you will use MORE E85 to do the same thing as gasoline. About 10 to 15% more, but the cost and performance should outweigh the mileage. Go to the Web Site raceone85.com and check it out. there's a lot of good information there, and if you call, Justus will speak to you and answer your question. Also, any changes that you make to the fuel system are going to be good no matter what fuel you decide on. If you have the money, you could convert one carb, and keep a standard carb if you want to swap back and forth.
................mickey-d :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor