Would like some opinions on racing slicks, and E85 fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
#1-Ok people, I want to know if anyone has tried out the E85 fuel? I had a friend talk me into trying it in my race car if he loaned me his carb. I figured, what the hell, why not. The fuel works great, the car performs better, runs 20 degrees cooler, I can run less timing, and the best part, it's $2.64 per gallon. The last time that I bought racing fuel, it was Sunoco 112, and it cost me $60.00 for 5 gallons, and that supposedly was with a small discount. I've only been test and tuning my car at an 1/8th mile track by my house, and a couple of other tracks, just working out some electrical troubles and some suspension issues. This stuff is great. Once I get the car straightened out, I think I'll see at least a half second gain in E.T. off the foot brake, and maybe more off the trans brake. I'll keep you informed. #2- I would like some opinions on what is the best brand of racing slicks. I'm going to be needing a set in the near future, as well as fronts. I'm leaning toward Hoosiers for all four corners. I run 26" tall on the front. and 32X14,5X15 on the rear. I could go to 31 or 31,5X14X15, but medium compound. What say you?
.....................mickey-d :lol: :blam:

Attachments

• Papa's Toy is home again..JPG
    Papa's Toy is home again..JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 1,963

Stokedcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 6, 2011
Backwoods
E85 is great stuff it runs cooler and has a very high octane rating plus its cheaper than race gas I'm currently setting up my olds 425 for e85 most people think it's just for "going green" but it is very overlooked the only downside is where you live e85 pumps can be hard to find depending on your location but in most rural locations it's pretty easy to come by

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
E85 is on my to do list, especially of I stay with forced induction. I also have a pump a mile away from me, right in my hometown. One thing to watch is the actual percentage of ethanol as it can vary greatly. Since we actually have season here, they have winter and summer blends, which could cause problems with your tune.
Most guys will buy or build their own testers and/or buy E98 in the drum and mix it theirselves.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
As I'm sure some of you know, I live in Kissimmee, Florida. There is a set of pumps just up the Fl. Turnpike about 15 miles from my house, which is conveniently located about 5 minutes from my house. The guy who I'm getting the conversion kit for the carb from, has been running the stuff for about 5 years with no fuel line or fuel tank corrosion or ruining of rubber fuel lines. It's not like methanol or alcohol, which is corrosive. The guys name is Justus Daniel, he runs a 52 Henry-J in the Carolina Gassers Club, finished second in points last year. Check out his web site for some very good info. Raceone85.com
................mickey-d :lol:
PS. What about the slicks and steers?? Come on guys, opinions please. :wtf:

Attachments

• Papa's Toy is home again..JPG
    Papa's Toy is home again..JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 1,914
  • Dino has started lettering, yea!!.JPG
    Dino has started lettering, yea!!.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,951

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
Well, I'm officially GREEN now. Got the conversion kit for my Demon, disassembled and cleaned what I'm re-using, and "built" the carb. I put it on the car with just preliminary adjustments, and it fired right up and idles perfect. I'm sure once I get to the track, I'll have to do some "fine tuning", but that's to be expected. Man, it really sounds NASTY! I can't wait to get it to the track. Probably next week if I can hold off that long. ............mickey-d :lol: :lol:

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
I don't know anyone that uses E85 to save the environment. It's more expensive than gas here and gets worse mileage. The people who use it for dd usually have forced induction and a tune on a flexfuel newer vehicle.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
In order to really gain the benefits of e85 you either need to turn boost up on a forced induction car or raise your compression ratio. Then the car will run faster.

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
The going GREEN thing is just a figure of speech. I'm not running E85 for the "environment", I'm running it because it's cheap compared to race gas, and it works extremely well. My motor is a SBC, 406 cube, with 12.8 compression. The engine likes the Ethanol, because it's high octane, burns cleaner, and cooler. My car runs 20 degrees cooler, and the intake runners are cool to the touch. I also have a friend that I got to use it, and his motor is only 9.5 compression and it runs great. He cruises the car, and races it too. My application is a single carb, 925 Demon, and my friends is an 1150 Dominator sitting on a low compression 572 BBC. If you have E85 where you are, and it's more than your normal gas, someone is screwing with the prices. It should be less, or at worst, the same as regular gas. I bought some two weeks ago and it was $2.77 per gallon. Also, contrary to what people say, Ethanol is NOT CORROSIVE! Methanol, Alcohol is corrosive. Two completely different types of fuel. Ethanol, E85 is CORN BASED, they make whiskey out of it, you could drink it, it's moonshine with some gasoline mixed in it. All natural ingredients. If you really want to know about the fuel, don't guess, check it out for yourself. A good place to start is a Web Site called: raceone85.com The owners name is Justus Daniel. He drags a '52 Henry J, all steel body, SBC with a 6-71 Blower, two carbs and E85. Been using it for about 5 years with the same fuel tank, pump, and rubber fuel lines. Never had a problem. I'm sure there are other sites as well, but I know this guy, I got my E85 conversion kit from him. Don't knock it before you try it, or because you don't know enough about it. mickey-d :lol:

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
stomis said:
In order to really gain the benefits of e85 you either need to turn boost up on a forced induction car or raise your compression ratio. Then the car will run faster.

Not true! If your car will accept the fuel(flex fuel, or modified fuel system)you will get less miles per gallon, but your performance will definately be better! I've modified the fuel injectors on my 98 Durango to use the fuel, and I mix it with regular unleaded, and it works fine, and performs better, just gets a little less miles per gallon. :lol:

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
stomis said:

no, e85 has a higher octane than gasoline, it burns quicker and reduces emissions. Anything you do to increase cylinder pressure will make more power on e85 vs pump gas. This means forced induction, compression, and simply spark advance, possibly higher rpms etc. Any engine can make more power on e85. If you just run e85 without a tune or advancing spark or anything else, it will 'protect' your engine more from detonation and have a cleaner burn at the same time keeping your internals a little fresher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor