BUILD THREAD You know she's a keeper when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I've got a 4 barrel intake spotted but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I just got married a few days ago and getting ready to go to Virginia for our honeymoon. This has put a complete stop to any vehicle spending until that is done and the bills are paid.

On the other hand, I have a pretty solid plan to reuse the computer controlled carb and computer system.
Sweet! And, my condolences... I'll be in coastal VA this weekend at the folks (chincoteague). PM if you're near; I'll buy you and your bride a round...

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Unfortunately, I will have to get some shims as there is a good gap between the flywheel and torque converter. Hopefully after the thanksgiving festivities are over I will get everything set in the car.

Just curious...I thought SBC and 4.3 V6s shared a lot of parts...can you not slide the TC forward and bolt it up? I don't suggest shimming the TC and flywheel together. Others should weigh in and protect you from my well-meaning ignorance.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Just curious...I thought SBC and 4.3 V6s shared a lot of parts...can you not slide the TC forward and bolt it up? I don't suggest shimming the TC and flywheel together. Others should weigh in and protect you from my well-meaning ignorance.
I can slide it forward to bolt it up, but the spec is about 1/4" to 3/16". I was right at 1/2". I bought some washers and used one per bolt to being me to just under 3/16".

I think a little shimming is acceptable as long as it is even and the crank pilot is engaged.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Sweet! And, my condolences... I'll be in coastal VA this weekend at the folks (chincoteague). PM if you're near; I'll buy you and your bride a round...
I'll be around Virginia Beach, but I have a good feeling that she will be dragging me to every tourist attraction within 100 miles. God help me...

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Dualjet sucks compared to even the smallbore TBI powerwise. How do thw timing curves compare? You cannot just pull the converter foward. I had a major leak doing that with an aftermarket converter on a 2004R. Even on stock converters there is some gap. Most aftermarket converters need 3+ washers to fill the gap even without adapters, at on my Olds V8's.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
The Dualjet sucks compared to even the smallbore TBI powerwise. How do thw timing curves compare? You cannot just pull the converter foward. I had a major leak doing that with an aftermarket converter on a 2004R. Even on stock converters there is some gap. Most aftermarket converters need 3+ washers to fill the gap even without adapters, at on my Olds V8's.
The timing should be the same as a pre-emissions V6 distributor. I am just going to convert it to the 7 pin HEI module so the computer can still pull timing if it wants to.

The dualjet does suck, even compared with other 2 barrels, but it doesn't cost me anything and will look somewhat stock. I do have my eye out for a quadrajet that's in decent shape though.

I think the converter thing will be OK. I brought it down to a little under 3/16ths and it isn't terrible to fix in the car if there is a leak.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Good luck on your trip. Keep us posted!
Did the Thanksgiving thing and wedding pictures at the beach. Been having a good time so far. Will be returning through North Carolina and tail of the dragon will be on the way.

Reactions: 3 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Got back last night after 19 hours of road tripping. The tail of the dragon was awesome but a little sketchy since it was about an hour after dark when we got to the start of it. The wife told me to enjoy her AWD V8 Charger, so I did.

Also found a bunch of cool flea markets all through North Carolina. I ended up picking up a spare SBC HEI distributor, and a fully functional factory radio for my Grand Cherokee.

Overall a good time.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor