BUILD THREAD You know she's a keeper when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Big update today:

The motor and transmission is in! It took about 2 extra hours because the cross member side brackets were a little too close together compared to the engine mounts. Much prying and cursing later it is set in place. I will install the cross member for the transmission another day, but things look good at this point. The V6 shroud looks like it will line right up with the S10 fan. I have the distributor ordered and would have ordered the intake too, but decided to replace the El Camino's leaky radiator instead.

Pictures soon...

Attachments

• IMG_20171127_222904.jpg
    IMG_20171127_222904.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 175
Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Reactions: 3 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Did you get your trans cooler lines on before you dropped it in? :itchy:
No I didn't even think about it at the time. I managed to get the lines out by leaving them attached to the radiator and pulling them out at once. I was hoping to reinstall them the same way so I didn't end up mangling the lines.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Well, brown box man arrived with my distributor this morning. For an ebay cheapy, it looks suprisingly well built. The only problem is that I accidentally bought a distributor for a V8. After looking at the ad I realized it was my mistake, but there were a lot of the V6 ones advertised with the V8 pictures. For only $38, I will just put it on the El Camino and have two spare distributors.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Little update today:

I got the motor mount bolts tightened down, transmission mount installed, cross member reinstalled, driveshaft reinstalled, shifter linkage reconnected, and power steering hoses hooked up.

A lot of work, but looks like nothing at all changed. At least I can take it off of the jack stands now.

Reactions: 2 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I managed to get my distributor issue figured out.

Since my ebay purchase turned out to be wrong for this vehicle, I ended up putting the ebay distributor on my El Camino to great success. The old distributor was just clapped out and just had terrible shaft slop. The mechanical advance weights had also ate about a third of a way into the pivot shafts.

IMG_20171204_175406.jpg
At this point, I figured that this distributor's hard parts were not worth rebuilding so I took the Buick distributor apart and started comparing internals. They appear to be a lot more alike than different, and nothing that screams that the parts cannot be interchanged. The big differences are that the Buick distributor has no mechanical or vacuum advance, while the Chevrolet distributor has both. The Buick distributor has an extra notch out of the housing for the ESC harness that the Chevrolet one does not.

I removed the roll pin from both distributor gears and pulled the shafts out to compare. The reluctor gear on the Buick distributor(short) is fixed to the plate while the Chevy distributor(long) has a mechanical advance plate that floats on the shaft with the reluctor gear attached. This is tied to the top plate by the mechanical advance springs.

IMG_20171204_183949.jpg

The top plate has a pressed in bushing that fixes it to the shaft. There is probably a good way to remove it, but I couldn't figure it out, so I beat the shaft with a hammer until I drove the plate off. I did the same with both distributors and switched the V6 reluctor and top plate (fortunately one piece) onto the Chevy shaft. At this point, it is in the correct place but the bushing is trashed. I decided that I will just tack weld the top plate to the shaft, since I will not be doing this again one way or the other.

With the shaft converted, I took the base and removed the guts and switched them between the two. Everything more or less bolts in, except the 7 pin module has a slightly different bolt pattern than the 4 pin that came out. Not really a big deal, but I had to cut the locating pins off of the bottom of the module and bolt to one of the existing holes. The other holes hangs in free space, but I need to drill a new hole and install a longer bolt to anchor it properly.

Under the silver cover plate is the pickup coil and a mating piece to the reluctor. Basically switch the middle stuff from the Buick distributor to the Chevy one. Once that is all set in the ESC harness is formed to the housing, and pretty well shows exactly where to cut into the Chevy housing to let the bulkhead connector set in. A little dremel work later and it fits like a glove. Reattach the ground wire to the stud for the vacuum advance, and slide the shaft back in. I reinstalled the flat washer and the anti-rotation washer between the base of the shaft and the distributor gear, but added the wavy washer that was used in the Buick distributor to make up for all the shaft play that the Chevy distributor originally had.

IMG_20171204_181851.jpg IMG_20171204_194922.jpg IMG_20171204_200624.jpg IMG_20171204_200728.jpg

IMG_20171204_200851.jpg

Hopefully it works, but I have never broke one of these distributors down before today so hopefully all my guesswork pays off.

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Others have done that distributor mod with sucess. That 99 4.3 V6 is rated at 200 hp and 260 ft/lbs of torque. Hopefully being .5 liter larger and a 1 to 1 higher compression it will run worth a dam. Another option is the Buick 4.1L CCC Qjet if you put a 4bbl intake on it and maybe snag it's computer.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Others have done that distributor mod with sucess. That 99 4.3 V6 is rated at 200 hp and 260 ft/lbs of torque. Hopefully being .5 liter larger and a 1 to 1 higher compression it will run worth a dam. Another option is the Buick 4.1L CCC Qjet if you put a 4bbl intake on it and maybe snag it's computer.

Those motors were pretty peppy, although I will lose some going back to a carb. I am going to try to use the factory dualjet with an adapter to a 4 barrel intake. I am hoping that this will give me an upgrade path later.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I got my transmission cooler lines reinstalled today, and the radiator is set into place. I am still paused for the holidays, but there is nothing wrong with a little puttering around the garage.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor