Your car *WILL* get stolen!

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I have the siren thing on mine... there's one for the exterior, and when the alarm is armed a relay is energized providing a closed circuit to an ignition-switched source. Whenever a would-be thief turns on the ignition with the alarm armed, the siren goes off. It's not where the speaker was though, it's up under the dash where you can't get to it without removing the dash.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

lildhix

Master Mechanic
Jan 9, 2011

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Something I came across and was a VERY INTERESTING READ indeed...

The VIN ETCHING idea is actually a GREAT idea. Read this story (shift/click)about a guy who tracked down his stolen Pontiac Parisienne, and the only reason he was able to find the car, was because he had the VIN number etched on all the windows. The thieves were having a hard time dropping the car off at a chop shop, and were driving it around with a new VIN tag, which was obviously different than the one etched on the windows!

GMillion$

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Northern Alberta
Just read this WHOLE thread (really like the first post 454muscle) and have another idea that I might try (in addition to proper insurance and some tricky kill switches):

Put a pressure switch (anything that will complete a circuit when >50lbs is applied) inside the lower part of the seat which is wired to a few regular ole 12v horns (hellatones?? or dixie horns??) hidden throughout the interior (inside the dash/under pass seat/behind rear plastic/under rear parcel shelf/...). Hide the kill switch for the pressure switch somewhere close to the door (i was thinking under the headliner). Run all wiring under carpet and behind a/b/c pillar plastic. Power will come from a trunk mounted battery under a locking-pin secured, fiberglass trunk lid.
So you'd have to arm it by pressing the headliner when you get out of the car, and dis-arm before getting in. I think it would be an easy and discrete move when getting in/out.

I think this would work for me since:

- i agree that "if they want it, they'll take it", so i can't justify spending tons on a real alarm system
- my whip ain't/wont be that nice looking
- cheap buy and easy to wire
- 'activates' before any tinkering with ignition switch or stereo (but not before a window's smashed...)
- it's a daily driver and like to leave my windows down when parked for short periods
- car theft in this city is primarily new 3/4ton trucks
- the real protection would/could be multiple hidden kill switches (and good insurance!)
- i wont have a super nice stereo set-up (cheap head unit anyway) and don't usually leave much in the car
- easy to tell the guy at the alignment shop/where ever/whoever how to arm/disarm

Anyway I think it could be just enough of an annoyance to the avg jerk-off/little kid tryin to rob my sunglasses to make em piss off. I think it'd be real funny too, like 3 stooges style everytime they sat down sh*t blows up!! and fun to play tricks on people...

Obviously not perfect, but what'd you guys think?

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Thanks for the comments GMillion$ and for the suggested security tip as well.

It sounds like a good idea if you're serious about being discreet with your security system, seems like a lotta work to do for it, however, if it works then it's worth it in the end.

Cheers
:friday:

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Re: Your car *WILL* get stolen!

Nice thread ive had two gp's stolden from me first car out of high school a 82 lj and a 83 mint with 28 thousand on it od. Just got done putting over 3 grand into a sound system in it and had a apt. To get the system covered that following wed. The sat. Proir i was held up by gun point at my girls house in the middle of the night two black guys a hand gun and a riffle was told to start it or i was getting shot all while i was on my knees in the front yard watched my car drive off , never found .detroit cops were called while this was happening took a hour for them to get there the one laughed at me and i went for him and almost ended up im jail myself, finally years later i had another gp looks just like the first two, white with blue top i take extreme measures not with it hidden killswitches and no battery in car in garage,even though its not running right yet when it does it will be parked in garage pushed inbetween the two doors so the back is up against the blocked wall separating the two doors .and now live no where close to detroit .

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Grandprixpaul said:
Nice thread ive had two gp's stolden from me first car out of high school a 82 lj and a 83 mint with 28 thousand on it od. Just got done putting over 3 grand into a sound system in it and had a apt. To get the system covered that following wed. The sat. Proir i was held up by gun point at my girls house in the middle of the night two black guys a hand gun and a riffle was told to start it or i was getting shot all while i was on my knees in the front yard watched my car drive off , never found .detroit cops were called while this was happening took a hour for them to get there the one laughed at me and i went for him and almost ended up im jail myself, finally years later i had another gp looks just like the first two, white with blue top i take extreme measures not with it hidden killswitches and no battery in car in garage,even though its not running right yet when it does it will be parked in garage pushed inbetween the two doors so the back is up against the blocked wall separating the two doors .and now live no where close to detroit .
Wow dude, that sucks to hear man. I absolutely hate ignorant cops.

A good friend of mine gave me some good advice after mine was stolen. He said "Never turn your back on your car -- ever". Doesn't mean much when you're at gun point though. Two things that might've helped:

1. Any GPS tracking device, or,
2. Forced Ignition anti-car jack system. Even if thieves drive off with your car, after about 1/4 mile the fuel pump quits and car is dead to the thieves.

Blubu82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2012
Rockford,IL
This will be the 3rd summer that I have had my 82 malibu classic. It wAs stolen the first summer (I came outsideto go to work and it was gone. The police found it 3 hours later in an alley about 20mins from my home..the steering column was popped......other than that it was fine. Then just this last summer at about 2am I heard a car start and thought Hmmm that sounds like my malibu! I looked outside and saw my HIDs on and my car race off. I grabbed my keys and jumped in my jeep (no shoes no shirt or socks just shorts.) Chased them about 7 blocks and realized I didnt have a phone. So my only option was to try what i have only seen on cops...a pit maneuver.....it worked!!2 skin heads jumped out and ran i chose to stay with my car. I set my jeeps alarm off and waited for police....they never found out who stole it..(broken window and popped column) im scared to leave it outside this summer :)

Attachments

• 31801_1264140654830_1569152464_30543601_1157027_n.jpg
    31801_1264140654830_1569152464_30543601_1157027_n.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,722

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor