Your car *WILL* get stolen!

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Blake442 said:
pontiacgp said:
The IP address is one thing but I have seen pictures posted of some real nice cars with the licence place visible...that's risky in my opinion...

I'm guilty of that...
If somebody can see my license plate driving down the road or sitting in a parking lot, there's no point in covering it up in a picture...

You know Blake442, I wondered about that too. Can you look up anything with a person's license plate (online or otherwise)? I've never heard of this before. My plate's are clearly visible, heck, I even advertise it (part of the project name lol). How bad is that? Does anyone know what the possible risks are?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Usually it takes an inside person at either the police station or the DMV to run a license plate for info like that.
It is not available to the average joe, for those very reasons everybody is concerned about.

For a long time I didn't even worry about it, since the few pics I had didn't even show the current plates.
Last summer I finally took a couple current pictures, so yeah, I let the cat out of the bag...
You're better off spending that energy making sure your house address doesn't show up in the background of any pics.
It probably is a good idea to cover the plate up, but I just don't see the point.

Like I mentioned above, the plate is visible everytime I take the car out, whether I'm just cruising down the road, or parked at a show or friday nite cruise spot. Those people are the ones I'd be more worried about, not somebody looking at pictures on the internet on the opposite side of the country.

chevy76monteman

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA
Minion1186 said:
not that any of our cars here have points ignition,but you could take the coil wire off.How many thieves do you know that carry a spare coil wire?

I have a friend of mine who, a long time ago before I knew him, owned a 64 Impala that he fixed up. He grew up in "the hood" so he knew how to take care of himself. But I seriously doubt anybody would want to butt heads with a 6-foot 4-inch 280-pound individual. Everytime he parked the car, he pulled off the coil wire. One time he actually caught someone trying to steal the car. He casually walked out and started talking to the guy and then was like "do you know why you can't start the car? come here and let me show you." The would-be thief, who was scared, actually walked over to where my friend was standing and watched as he pointed out what was wrong. My friend, after showing him, looked straight at him and told him that if he ever saw him anywhere near his car again, he would beat him into a bloody stump. And guess what... he never saw him anywhere near the car again. :rofl:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Nice one chevy76monteman.

Here's one. My bodyshop guy and a friend of his, who owned a souped up pick up truck, caught 2 theives in the process of stealing the truck. The one guy was lying on the floor under the dash, half his body laying out the car door -- I guess he was attempting to hotwire it. Buddy ran to the car and slammed the car door with all his strength onto the guy twice, second one on his chest, completely disabling him... the guy just laid there, thriving in pain. Lmfao. Buddy ran to the other side of the car to the other thief, who was dumbfounded, and literally beat the living sh*t out of him. Lmfao x2! The sad part is, the police ended up charging buddy with assault. That's all I know about this event.

Anyone beat that one? :rofl:

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Not sure if you guys have ever watched that repo show, but there's a new invention out called the "Go-Jack":

repossession.jpg

Anyone can buy a set of these and they're really handy. So if you think that turning your wheels, using a boot, or anything silly like that will stop someone, you're wrong. Four of Go Jacks and a flatbed and your car is gone. They used these to get cars that were parked sideways in garages

Someone else mentioned it, buy insurance for your car. I had a MINT '84 Grand Prix that I bought from the original owner. Stolen right out from under me. I did it right this time and have insurance, so now I won't be out the money if it gets stolen.

To the people that think their house pets are going to stop a thief, just watch 'it takes a thief' tv show. Dogs aren't really helpful, do you really think someone will try to steal your car while your pets are in the yard? Do you have your pets trained for 'tainted meat''? How about antifreeze?

Let's be real here, if you shoot someone that's trying to steal your car, you're most likely going to jail. For a long time. Unless you live in Texas or something. It's smarter just to get insurance.

To answer your question, I don't think it's a good idea to advertise your plates on the Internet. Its already easy enough to find your personal information, let alone giving someone a sign to your doorstep. These cars are really not worth that much to get too concerned about. And if it is, you should invest in good insurance and/or not drive it every day. Keep your car covered while in storage/garage so people can't see what you got. Invest in a home security system. A secure garage is nice, but when they easily break into your home and then use a garage opener to open your secure garage, that's a breach too. Secure your phone and internet lines on your home. Armored cable/locked boxes on the outside of the house are a good idea.

What is the deal with the 'gps interrupter' that you mentioned? Do you have any info or links on these? I've never heard of this before. I believe most GPS tracking systems use cell phone towers to phone home. I realize that if it can't find a GPS signal it wouldn't work well, but I would lioke to know more about that.

Thanks

Ea5yToBeDead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2010
Hobart,Indiana
454muscle said:
Wow! That's awesome! And your second answer to my last question (which came in while I was typing my replay lol so I started all over).
That's exactly what I need to know! :D Thanks a lot bro!

I will be installing the Viper 5902, it's pretty freakin' cool (check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3fwrea4dB0)

By the way, my engine is fuel injected, so remote start will work (carburated engines can't be remote started, or rather, it's not really a good idea to do).

Also the viper system does have an anti-grind component. I will be printing out your information when I get this stuff done!! :D :mrgreen:

Holly ! I have to get that! :twisted:

buickestate

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2006
London Ontario
Blake442 said:
pontiacgp said:
The IP address is one thing but I have seen pictures posted of some real nice cars with the licence place visible...that's risky in my opinion...

I'm guilty of that...
If somebody can see my license plate driving down the road or sitting in a parking lot, there's no point in covering it up in a picture...

I agree with you, why hide the plate number in a picture. If they want the car bad enough they will get it. Hiding you plate will make some would be theives smell your fear, and spark interest. Most A/G Bodies in this forum qualify for classic car insurance, that means you get the vehicle appraised and you insure the vehicle for that value, if anything happens you get a check for that amount. Simple. Not all classic car policies are the same some have restrictions and some don't, shop aournd. It is nice to know that if anything happens the car is insured for what I have invested in the car, I can afford to rebuild/replace my car with what the insurance company will pay out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The cops around here even advise people to hide the vin # that's visible from the front window. I have my authorization number to search licence plates but anyone in Ontario for $12 can search a plate number....with the vin #, year and make of the vehicle I can get a package that gives me the current owner and the complete history of the car for $20...and easier than that I have a pi whose a client that I have hired on occasion and I don't even ask where he gets his info from

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Ea5yToBeDead said:
Holly ! I have to get that! :twisted:
Hehe... the Viper 5902 is pretty Sick ain't it?

buickestate said:
Most A/G Bodies in this forum qualify for classic car insurance, that means you get the vehicle appraised and you insure the vehicle for that value, if anything happens you get a check for that amount. Simple. Not all classic car policies are the same some have restrictions and some don't, shop aournd.

Hey buickestate, you're in Ontario (I think?). Can you recommend an insurance company for my 84 Grand Prix? I will have the appraisal value at over $150,000. I'm interested and hoping you are right about that ^^^.

pontiacgp said:
The cops around here even advise people to hide the vin # that's visible from the front window. ..with the vin #, year and make of the vehicle I can get a package that gives me the current owner and the complete history of the car for $20...

pontiacgp, I don't know how much of a security risk that is, to display your VIN number. I mean one of my suggestions is to get a VIN etching kit and etch your VIN # onto your windows (and any other parts) -- advertising of which would deter potential thieves. Anyone can get vehicle history, but so what -- it's just the history. And if they can see your VIN # then they can also follow you home, so if they look up your home address with the VIN, it seems not to be any riskier.

HurstOlds said:
Not sure if you guys have ever watched that repo show, but there's a new invention out called the "Go-Jack":
repossession.jpg

I've known about ^^^^ those things for years. I had my 2nd GP (which was stolen) actually pulled onto a flatbed using those, 8 years ago. So it's not a new invention. The point is, if it's something imaginable, it's doable. And grand theft auto is huge business. In case anyone didn't get that:

Grand Theft Auto is HUGE business.

It's a job -- a trade -- it's a freaking INDUSTRY. An industry which yields effective tools of the trade. And it makes sense if you think about it. It's a very cost effective investment (just not very nice).

HurstOlds said:
Let's be real here, if you shoot someone that's trying to steal your car, you're most likely going to jail. For a long time. Unless you live in Texas or something.

Exactly. A very good point. Like I said in another post on this thread, I know a guy who was charged with assault for his attempt to stop his truck from getting stolen.

HurstOlds said:
It's smarter just to get insurance.
Anyone know a good insurer in Ontario, Canada to insure a G-body street rod?

I've invested over $153,000 +++ into this car. I want to know if there is an insurance company that will insure the car for it's appraised value, so I can drive it on the street. Many insurance companies (that I know of) don't want anything to do with people like me (with such a car). And no, I don't mind paying a little higher of a premium if it'll protect the value of my investment.

HurstOlds said:
What is the deal with the 'gps interrupter' that you mentioned? Do you have any info or links on these? I've never heard of this before. I believe most GPS tracking systems use cell phone towers to phone home. I realize that if it can't find a GPS signal it wouldn't work well, but I would lioke to know more about that.
Like I said, if it's something one can imagine, and theoretically plausible, it's probably been done. Ever wonder why your cell phone loses reception in an elevator, or in the hospital? Ever lose reception around certain electrical power boxes? That's electrical fields interfering with your GPS signal. Interference is not a new concept -- we've all been exposed to it. I imagine to effectively "interfere" with the majority of GPS signals, an "interrupter" would have to put out a number of frequencies of electric radiation at certain strength levels, and I imagine it's possible to do with a portable unit consuming 12 volts. So it's feasible.

Now, where can you find one? Ebay. It's hit-and-miss. I have searched and on a couple occasions I have come across a unit (and it was indeed called "GPS Interrupter", location China, price around $10 USD), but MOST other times I came up empty. I've seen it, just not very often. I'm sure you could have one made with help from an electrical engineer. How effective is the version I saw on Ebay? I can't say. Maybe not effective at all.

However, the main point is this: There are several GPS tracking devices and services being offerred to people to combat vehicle theft. I have one called "Boomerang Tracking" installed in my cars. Now, search google for "Boomerang Tracking scam" and you will see tons of people who never had their stolen vehicle recovered, where the tracking device was installed professionally and working. Now I'm not saying it's completely ineffective. I'm saying it's not fool proof. That, my friends, is all it takes.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
pontiacgp, I don't know how much of a security risk that is, to display your VIN number. I mean one of my suggestions is to get a VIN etching kit and etch your VIN # onto your windows (and any other parts) -- advertising of which would deter potential thieves. Anyone can get vehicle history, but so what -- it's just the history. And if they can see your VIN # then they can also follow you home, so if they look up your home address with the VIN, it seems not to be any riskier.

the vin # is the first step to identity theft and then the car gets transferred into someone else's name ...it's apparently alot easier then you think

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor