Your first true love!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Wow, my first car was a gold '80 Monza hatchback named Fern (but I called her Vern) "handed down" from my Grandpa (first owner) then my aunt then me. Unfortunately mine was a 4cyl/4spd, but she'd light 'em up in the rain or on a (steep) hill! :D

Yeah, if I could find one that didn't have more holes than paint I'd snap it up. lol. Dunno what it was about those things but they didn't last long. H-Body FTW! Actually I can't remember the last time I saw one "in the wild..." :cry:

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
The thing that makes me sad about mine. First off it was a Spyder with factory V-8, and seccond was the floors. I spent a lot of time in scrap yards getting parts for mine. ANd the one I had is still the only monza I have ever seen that had NO rust on the floor at all. :-( The only rust it had was on the front fenders. I'll probably never find one like that again.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
the cars from the 70's were built to rot right from the factory ( how often do you see a car from the 70's anymore ? ). Bought mine in '90 ( only a 14 year old car at the time ) and there was a rust hole right thru the A-pillar which I had to open and weld in a length of pipe. As well the frame was cracked in 2 places and this was on a low mile car. By todays standards would you expect a 1995 cavalier to be rotten right thru the A-pillar ?

Mine had the 305 / th350 / 4bbl setup and was a blast to drive and surprisingly great in the snow with only all-season tires. Alas I think mine was eating the camshaft and got parked right before I went home for xmas and I never went back. My sister ended up giving it to the neighbor for parts as my nephew wanted a Civic instead of a Chevy !

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
axisg said:
would you expect a 1995 cavalier to be rotten right thru the A-pillar ?

LOTS of those up here.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My first real car I bought was a 1968 Firebird. I had a few "hand-me-downs" like VW's but I allways drooled over this 68' Bird that a girl across the street from me had bought new. In 68' I was 15 and we allways played football and stickball in the street and she would come out yelling at us not to play around her car. She got fed up with us and started parking it in the driveway so we couldn't hurt it. For a 15 year old in those days of the muscle cars the new Firebirds and Camaros were just the hottest most beautifull cars you could imagine. I allways thought the Bird was better looking and I really loved that car she had, it was a gorgeous light metalic blue. Well eventually I grew up and after I got out of the Army in 75' I had a wife and my own place and I was starting a new job and needed a car to get to work in. The 75' models made me want to vomit and all I could find used were POS rustbuckets and such. Why couldn't I find a car as nice as that Bird? I ended up useing my little Harley to get to work while I looked for a decent car. Around December the Harley was getting impractical and I allmost bought a 73' Super Beetle but didn't and then the kid across the street who lived next door to the girl with the Bird asked me if I wanted his car because it was too slow for him. I said sure what is it? He said it's Evelyn's Firebird. I allmost dropped dead right there. He said yeah, it's really clean, but it has that shitty OHC6 and I want a V-8. She was going to trade it in but she sold it to me instead for $700. You can have it for that. OH MY GOD I was getting the one and only car I allways loved! Buddy let me tell you I RAN to the bank and pulled out $700 and rolled that car right across the street to my parent's backyard and just stared and sat in it for hours. I couldn't believe it was finally mine. I loved it so much I did all the work on it, no matter what happened to it. When the 6 died I put a Pontiac 350 in it. When that died I put a Pontiac 400 in it. When the automatic died I swapped a 4 speed in. I kept that car for 16 years and it had 6 different motors, 4 different transmissions, 3 different rears, and endless other parts to keep it alive. Everyone knew me by that car and my kids grew up in that Bird. Eventually the rust caught up to it and I had to get rid of it but when it went it was an empty shell. All the good parts are still in my garage waiting to go into my 68' Firebird Convertible project, so some of that car will live on. I have never been so attached to a car as I was to that one.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
I bought my first car in January 2000, my 81 malibu. I can't say that I loved the car imediatly, I even hated it for a short while. After the first nine months I owned it, I was ready to get rid of it, the stock 229 barely ran, was gutless when it did run, had 2 too many doors, was built in the 80's, was green, had green interior, and was a chevy. I parked it in favor of a 79 cutlass with a 350 olds, for some reason that car had more appeal to me even though it was a complete rot box (not just because of the V8 either). The short of it, 2 months later, I was changing the oil in the rot box, and drain plug stripped :wtf: , so my only option was to rob the one out of the bu, as I crawled under the car I realized how nice it really was. So the following spring (2001) I combined my best parts, olds 350 with th350 trans, 7.5 with 3.08's, into the 4dr malibu. Still not what I wanted but, it got me around, and looked fairly decent. Car only lasted a couple months before that engine gave up, me being a dumbass didn't help it any, lol. The replacement engine, a worn out 350 olds that lasted another couple of months....Parked it for the winter. Spring hits, I find an engine for $500 with 3000 miles on rebuild, perfect.....I learned how to rebuild transmissions (my other car swallowed my malibu's) so I had no choice but to learn. Drove the car another couple of months (literally) and hit a deer, well it actually hit me, took out my LH fender, windshield, dash board, and buckled my roof. I almost gave up on it at that point, I yanked my drivetrain back out and put it in my 85 cutlass. Bu sat for two years, til I decided to put it back together, drove it around half in primer for a year thought about dumping it for something else, finished the primer (dark gray). Decided to take it to a fairly large car show to try to sell it in 2005, had the sign in the trunk, but couldn't bring myself to put it in the window........I was hooked, I don't know why, but thing grew on me......It's been through a couple transmissions, and couple rearends since then, and I finally gave it a paint job in fall of 2008. It wasn't love at first but I guess one could say it is now, it's the only vehicle I have had that no matter how much bullshit it went through or how much it gave me, I just couldn't part with it.

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
The first car i remmeber really caring about was my granmpies 56 Buick Special. It was light pink with white trim and FUZZY white interior and the classic fuzzy dice lol. I forgot about it after he passed away cause i was young but as i started to get more involved in cars i wanted to know more about it. My dad took me to the guy who bought it who lived up the road (a car collector with close to 70 cars) The car was repainted baby blue and white but the engin bay was still the awsome pink lol. We talked to him and asked him if he ever goes to sell it let us know and he replied ok will do.

I was at work one day on kijiji wasting time then i saw it. The 56 for sale for $10,000 WAY out of my price range but i lost it when i realized he never talked to us to even let us know he was getting rid of it :(

MY other loves, i was in grade 7 when i first seen it my cousins black 88 cutlass supreme. I asked my brother what kind it was and google pics of the samke car and i thought man thats sweet haha he had a confedrate plate in the back window which i loved.

It was later that year he took it prom and the car looked sweet! It was all shined up and then i forgot about it for a while cause he stoped driving it. I started hanging out with my cousin Aaron (who is a total gear head extream) and he told me he found an 80 cutlass that he was gonna fix up.

He always had the car but money was differnt story. Eventually he had to get rid of the cars so he said ya id hate to see someone else own it so ill probably get it crushed i flipped and said no ill but em adn i was about to get 2 cutlasses which would be project cars n i was so happy.... UNTILL my older brother had to speak up and my cousin refused to sell them casue my brotehr ran his mouth sayin i woudlnt know how to fix them up and i was just gonna waste my money.

Lo and behold the sumemr of 09 i managed to convice him to sell me them. An 88 project and an 80 parts car, i ended up having the car to this day i go a job in the sumer to restore it and only saved maybe $100 a month. I ended up breaking up with my gf of 11 months 4 days after the car after talking about my cutlass non stop for 4 days. I told her ya...this realtion is alot of work and the cutlass will be alot of work to fix so i gotta choose one (choosin the car was obviously the best choce yet no regrests)

Then after i had money saved about $700 i got a call my fom my dad at school telling me he found another cutlass for an unbelieveable price $750 fro an 84 is great condition

I told him to tell the guy that i would look at it that night and then i seaw the car n couldnt beleve it the car was an olive green the kind of green no one else would like and the kind of green only i would like lol . Funny part about buying the new cutlass is that i dumped the girl i was with when i got the 84..she gt a new boyfriend a week after but i got a new car..i think ...... i got the better deal out of that break up.. :rofl:

sorry bout the grammar erros. at work tried to typ as fast as possible

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Believe it or not, it's a 1974 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ with a 455. When I was young growing up in the 70s/80s both of my parents always had cool 2 door cars, even with 3 kids, which is probably why I'd don't believe in minivans and station wagons.

I'd love to find a rust-free 74 Grand Prix SJ, stock--like the one we had growing up--and create what Pontiac should have done . . . put in a SD455 and NACA style hood scoops from the 73 GTO would look nice on that hood.

I do remember us having a G-body too, an 1985 Cutlass Supreme. I remember when my father brought it home for the first time and took me for a ride . . . it was . . . okay. No speed demon, but it was decent for it's time. I also remember really early on my father having a 1972 GTO--silver I think and in later years a 1986 Buick Park Avenue T-Type.

justwhisen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2009
my first vehicle was a black 79 TA 6.6, T-tops, shaker hood, and a big gold bird on the hood.
Not the car I really thought it was after I got it. It was so uncomfortable and the ride was super rough, but it looked good.
I sold it just after 6mo and bought a 78 buick regal with factory moon roof, bucket seats, console and a firey hot 383 sbc. this was the car I fell in love with. Until one day I was driving some friends home and didnt know there was unmarked construction on the way. I was at the RR crossing where this construction was taking place. the tracks were at the crest of a small hill and the road was pretty much gone with only the metal rails left. Needless to say at 35 mph my regal didnt fair to well.
She went to the scrap yard soon after with injurys like no front crossmember cracked block, transmission and one axle tube ripped out from under her. that was a sad day. But her leGacy lives on in my current love for the G body.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
thats my first love below this writing. my dad bought that for me in 96 when i was 9 years old and said, "you want to learn bodywork, so heres your first project!"
I've already told my girlfriend of three years i wouldn't marry her if i felt she'd ever try to make me sell it.

their gonna bury me in my baby. :bump:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor