Zero visibility, so, drive faster?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
The reality is the conditions are fine and you are driving the speed limit, totally safe. The you suddenly drive into the fog or whiteout conditions and someone is going to hit that person you are talking about, going slow. Then the chain starts and can not be stopped.

It's not like when it's icey out. There is ice at your front door, windshield, side streets, main street and the highway. Lots of warning that it is slippery, sure you slow down a bit.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It is amazing how dumb drivers can be in any snow event. They will risk themselves & others on the road cause they just have to go somewhere that moment. With three winters plowing I've had people pass me on the left going into on coming traffic, try to pass me on the right shoulder while I have the wing plow out, ride my arse while hammering on the horn cause road conditions can't let my go over 20. They also cut me off, race thru intersections at the last minute to get in front of my plow. Even with white out like conditions they think 55 is OK. Get mad at us when weare out clearing the roads for them & mad cause they don't see us clearing the roads.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
FWIW, watching idiots out drive their sight and stopping distance is a daily occurrence. And not to be on these idiots side, but on 81 north of Scranton that occurs in good weather at 65 because of the road design. Now consider that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a speeding ticket from Frackville to Mountain Top on 81 because there is absolutely NO presence of police EVER!

Mix that in with elevation change of where this happened and you have the trifecta of terrible driving, no cops ever, and terrible weather - wow, what a surprise.

I sound pretty negative, but I hate driving this section of road. It’s bad enough to get to the plateau, but the ride down is ‘get the hell out of the hammer lane’ because the trucks will be coming at you at 80-85 and on you’re arse if you’re in the hammer lane running 75-80. Did I mention no cops in this area?

Reactions: 1 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Seeing Mr Fedex in the pile, i predict many people will be getting very late packages, if at all if that fire makes it his way..... and the echoes of those crashes sounds like it could go on for miles.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Sh*t like this is why my TBSS is f*cked up. And it is because only stupid people are breeding...

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
The reality is the conditions are fine and you are driving the speed limit, totally safe. The you suddenly drive into the fog or whiteout conditions and someone is going to hit that person you are talking about, going slow. Then the chain starts and can not be stopped.

It's not like when it's icey out. There is ice at your front door, windshield, side streets, main street and the highway. Lots of warning that it is slippery, sure you slow down a bit.
I disagree. If you're driving and paying attention like you should be, you will SEE the fog and whiteout in front of you and you should know to immediately slow down.

as for when it's icey out, I still remember driving thru Ohio in Feb 1990 at 60mph on ih70 somewhere around Zanesville and all of a sudden hitting black ice with no warning whatsoever. did I brake? hell no, I took my foot off the gas and let it coast!

I then continued to drive into Columbus about 7pm where it really did whiteout so bad that I couldn't see paint stripes on the highway. I'd pass a light on the median (I was in the left lane), it would fade back off into the distance, and then finally another would appear in front. I was afraid to change lanes because I couldn't tell which direction I was heading, even at 10-20mph! someone finally passed me and I scooted over behind them but didn't keep up, then came someone else on the right and I scooted over more. I was finally able to spot an off ramp and get off the interstate.

when I got out of the Navy from New London CT in '92, I drove all night thru PA on 78 or 80 from east to west, hitting the state-line at midnight and arriving OH at about 7am. I still remember driving thru rain and fog so heavy that my average speed was about 50mph otherwise I'd be outdriving my lights. last thing I needed was to hit an animal or somebody else. ..but no snow that night

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I live near 81 here in PA, and this is daily. Either dipship truckers playing leapfrog, 4 wheelers pulling onto onramps at 20 MPH, etc. Half the time these crackpots slow down to 20 with flashers on for a drizzle. I've lived in PA all my life, and 81 is almost as bad as I-95.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor