Wagon quarter glass mouldings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Yeah, there's about 14 of them around each window.

The spacing of the clips on the bottom is the only place it's important.
The stainless bead molding that slips under the bottom of the lower molding has a wide flat portion to hold it, and it's trimmed out accordingly to give room for each clip. We pretty much used it as a stencil for where to put them on Lindsay's wagon. The rest of them you can pretty much put where ever you want them. I still had my Malibu at the time, and looked at that first to use as a reference. I think we put 3 clips on the vertical pieces, and 4 or 5 on the horizontal pieces...

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah, you're right about the bead trim strips that slip under the lower mouldings. They do help hold it in place. But I find that they are also a moisture/ water trap.
I was thinking after those areas are painted and the trim is ready to go back on, maybe a thin bead of silicone or whatever they use for marine hardware use...bedding compound? ...or it might be overkill.
When I mentioned about using pieces of tubing along with small screws. I thought about it and realized that using small screws to hold the clips down is enough.
The mouldings are getting harder to find. I hope I still have all of mine. :?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have the glue ons on my 81 century, but gonna convert to the aluminum from my 79 malibu. I wasn't planning on putting the beaded strip under the bottom trim piece. I am converting all the other door sweeps to smoother all black, that piece on the window isn't gonna match.

I figured the same thing with attaching them, just using SS screws and some silicon RTV

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
SRD art said:
I'm confused. Are you guys talking about the small 1/4 window that opens on the back door? Doesn't sound like it...
==========================================================================================================
No, we're referring to the large windows just above the quarter panels. Actually, the mouldings that surround the quarter windows.

GRIFF442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
Hey guys sorry to bring up an old thread, but had related question and figured this was easier then trying to reinvent the wheel.
I have an 83 Malibu wagon that I am getting ready to put the rear quarter glass back into after a year in the body shop. Like everyone on this thread the original rubber molding was badly deteriorated and basically fell apart so i located the aluminum trim off a 79 and had in powdercoated black to install instead.
I got these cool screw in studs and factory style plastic clips I will be using to attach...

clip3_zpsadef2ec1.jpg

My question is does anyone know how many clips and the location of where to put the studs? I don't have the stainless round bead piece for the base of the glass so I can't use as a guide. I know as long as I get a few clips around all 4 sides it will hold on fine, but figure since I am here I might as well do it the right way. Anyone have any pics?

Thanks.....

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Griff,
I like those screws with the smooth shank. That's the way to go. If you can wait till tomorrow, I'll take a pic of one my quarter window frames to indicate where the stud positions are. I'll get some measurements for you as well.
BTW, where were you able to find those screws? Body shop supply?
I guess you won't be using the beaded base moulding on your then? I thought of eliminating mine, too. They're in rough shape, plus they create more of a water trap.
The '82-'83 rubberized mouldings are junk, and are prone to deterioration.
Post some pics of your wagon and your progress. Looks like you have a nice fleet of vehicles. 8)

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I like the screws also. I have the aluminum trim from my 79 bu to put on my buick. I just hate using screws, gives the paint somewhere to rust ya know>

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
liquidh8 said:
I like the screws also. I have the aluminum trim from my 79 bu to put on my buick. I just hate using screws, gives the paint somewhere to rust ya know>
Jim,
You brought out a good point regarding the use of screws. But what's the alternative? I guess it also depends on how the car is stored...will it be prone to all weather conditions, etc.
I still think the aluminum trim is superior to the rubberized junk. However, the rubberized moulding probably kept leaves, dirt, and junk out from behind the mouldings.

Griff,
I'll get you that information today.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
liquidh8 said:

When I worked on aircraft we never put a fastener in dry if we drilled the hole in the skin or a part. Dip the threads of the screw in paint or spray it with rust check and then install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor