Wagon quarter glass mouldings

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
yes, pictures would be great. The alminum trim is way better.

GRIFF442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
All right, finally got my quarter glass into the car and managed to get a few pics to show the process. Sorry if a few are a little blurry, forgot my regular camera so I had to take them with my phone but you get the idea. Surprisingly everything went very smooth and the trim clipped on with no problem. :D

First I put down masking tape to mark where I was going to drill the holes...
IMAG0147_zpsfb4c6883.jpg

Next was the fun part of drilling the holes. I drilled through the tape to minimize the amount of paint chipping....
img148_zps3ca3faa1.jpg

Next I installed the screw in studs and clips. I put epoxy around where all studs screwed into body to hopefully prevent rust. On the passenger side I put 7 clips across the bottom, but after holding up the trim i realized it was overkill and only used 5 on the driver side....
IMAG0151_zps83efa647.jpg

IMAG0155_zps7f7937aa.jpg

Here is the back edge of the window clips-3 per side
IMAG0153_zps38acb17d.jpg

IMAG0157_zpsc04e496f.jpg

And the front edge-2 per side
IMAG0152_zpsa8ab6625.jpg

IMAG0156_zps08003da5.jpg

And across the top-5 per side
IMAG0154_zpsd0ec6a4f.jpg

IMAG0158_zps30c0fa56.jpg

Next I put window primer around the mounting surface on car and on the glass itself.
IMAG0159_zpsa995d594.jpg

Then we put down about a 1/2" bead of window glue around the edge of the glass and stuck it in. Note-once you stick the window to the primed surface it will not come off so you only get one shot to make sure it is straight. Me and a friend used large suction cups at each end and lined it up and pressed it down.
IMAG0160_zps7317105a.jpg

Here is what it looks like after all trim was snapped into place....
IMAG0161_zps8f1c3a9f.jpg

IMAG0162_zps2e3a538f.jpg

After the glue finishes drying for a few days I will go back inside car and trim away extra glue that squeezed out so interior trim will sit level. 8)

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
That looks great. I'll be gluing mine in also.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice job...looks great! Thank you for posting the pics. Hopefully, they'll give me some motivation to get on the ball and make some progress.
What paint did you use on your pillars and window frames?

GRIFF442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
Pillars and window frames were painted with SEM bumper black. I have used it on other cars to black out trim etc. and it always holds up to the sun real well. It is a little expensive at $12/can, but I hate doing things over. The rest of the trim on the car was all powder coated in a matching satin black, I powder coated the aluminum window trim, door handles, and anything else I could get off the car.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
Looks great, what color black are your upper door frames? What sheen, flat - satin? Is is cleared at all if so what sheen of clear? I am looking to do the same when I paint my car and black it all out around the window glass. Did you paint the upper parts of the door jambs the same or only paint the black where you would normally see the body color portions with the doors closed?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good ol' SEM is the way to go. So you rattlecanned the pillars and window frames? Years ago I used Krylon semi-flat black to do my window frames, etc, and it held up well for many years. I know the quality isn't the same today.
How about the rear tailgate glass trim? Did you end up painting that,or did you take them off and had them powdercoated? I know they're stainless. I thought of just scuffing them down and using etching primer on them.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, when I did my rear glass on my 83 wagon years ago, I did just that. Scuffed it, and adhesive primed and painted. I lasted of.

87 GN. My wagon I did the jamb and all. Looked betting IMO because the jamb can be seen at certain angles through the door gaps. And depending on the car color, stands out like a sore thumb.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
liquidh8 said:
Jack, when I did my rear glass on my 83 wagon years ago, I did just that. Scuffed it, and adhesive primed and painted. I lasted of.
Thanks Jim!
That's going to be how I do mine. I think trying to take the window hatch trim off the glass can be a bit of a chore.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 users

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Longroof79 said:
liquidh8 said:
Thanks Jim!
That's going to be how I do mine. I think trying to take the window hatch trim off the glass can be a bit of a chore.
Are you ever gonna finish that wagon Jack ...... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor