07 sierra 6.0 dod delete advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
FWIW with the Oil Pumps, I always put the Melling M295 High Volume Pumps in any of the LS Engines I put together to run. I port and polish the inlet and outlet also. That is the current one in my SS.

I know a few people who have gone to Orielly's looking for an LS Oil Pump, even ones with a GM Part number are coming in Melling boxes..seen a couple from dealerships with Melling on them also..

Aftermarket Melling pumps I believe are better than factory pumps, I saw a chart eons ago that showed where a factory pump began to cavitate and flow stalled around 6500. The Melling pumps kept on chugging along.

Also, the LS6 pump is really just GM's updated pump that came out with the LS6. All LS motors used it from then on (minus DOD, future updates notwithstanding).

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My best friend has o7 Sierra 6.0 with dod. Lifter is making am awful racket. He pulled it out put back in a new 1 and it ran fine for 3 days. But came back with a vengeance. I talked him into a delete. From what I understand, get a gen 3 valley cover, plug prv in the oil pan, drill/tap towers with a set screw. Then new lifters. Does he need a new cam(or could i regrind it?? Am I missing anything? Thanks

Thanks. I feel like I'm about to ask another stupid question but fug it. Could I use my old lq4 cam?
I have a 2008 Sierra with a Gen IV 5.3L LMG (Cathedral Port, DOD, Flex Fuel). By 50k miles I had a ticking lifter. I ran it until 82k miles and then did the DOD delete. I changed the cam. I swapped to the GM Performance Parts Hot Cam (219/228 .525/.525 on a 112 LSA). I don't advocate this in your situation but I wanted to point out that you absolutely can put a Gen III cam in a Gen IV engine. The Hot Cam is a Gen III cam. In your case, I would absolutely recommend pulling the cam for inspection and since there has been a problem with two lifters, for the cost, I would put in a new cam. You can get a delete kit that will have a stock grind cam and it will come as a Gen IV grind that has a single cam gear bolt. You can buy a delete kit that includes a plug in tuner to tune out the DOD. If you want to put a mild cam in it while you are at it, then you'll probably need the services of a tuner. If you put a mild cam in it, make sure the valve springs are compatible. The LS6 springs (19420455) are good to .550 lift and they are a production piece so you don't have to worry about how long they will live.

If you do end up putting in a Gen III, three bolt cam, the LS2 is a Gen IV (58x crank, 24x cam) engine with a three bolt gear.
  • 12586481 - Cam sprocket
  • 12556127 - Cam sprocket bolt
I put in a new timing chain while I was at it. Just a stock chain for an LS2. I don't have a part number handy. I chose to replace the cam retainer plate as it has an embossed O-Ring on it. Many have re-used it with no issue.
  • 12589016 - Cam retainer plate
The Gen IV engines have a spring loaded timing chain tensioner that has plastic guides. Mine was broken at 82k miles. The Chain was rubbing metal and the chunks of plastic were lying in the pan. I chose to retrofit to the LS2 style timing chain dampener. I've read of others with this problem and I've also read about high mileage engines where the Gen IV spring loaded tensioner was fine. I like "keep it simple stupid" so I went with the simpler design. Gen IV style (this one is broken):

far_296159c35883ed56e4b944b7bd956ca6b655282b.jpg

LS2 and earlier style:

apibk4nla__80246.jpg

The LS2 style damper will bolt on any Gen IV engine. Part number 12588670. It's available from many sources.

If it were me, for a non-performance build I'd buy the delete kit with a stock non-DOD cam. It will have the lifter trays (12595365) - four required and a set of lifters - 12499225 (LS2/LS7 Lifter Kit). You will also need a set of push rods. Part number will depend on what you do with the cam. If you were to use a LQ4 cam then I would think LQ4 push rods would be what you want but I would measure to be sure.

I taped the electrical connector that plugged into the valley cover into the harness. I used an LS7 valley cover (12570471) but it has a nipple out the right front for a crankcase breather that is unneeded, and I had to cap off. There is a smooth Gen IV non-DOD valley cover (has o-rings on the bottom side where the solenoids are on the DOD cover).

I left my DOD oil pump. You absolutely do want to change the o-ring on the pick-up while you are in there. It's not a big deal to do. The center of the crossmember under the engine unbolts and makes dropping the pan a snap. It is also possible to do without pulling the pan. You want the red o-ring 12584922.

If I had it to do again, I would have replaced the pressure relief valve in the oil pan with a new one (12608835) as the spring is said to get softer over time and I would have installed the deflector (12639759 - this is a design improvement to prevent oil consumption - they didn't exist when the engine was built) on it to make sure it couldn't spray oil on the rotating assembly. Some just choose to remove the relief valve and plug the threaded boss in the oil pan. It's a metric thread so an oil pan drain plug will fit it. I think it's better to have the safety of the bypass and I don't have any issues with oil pressure. I would think in colder climates, you'd want to retain the bypass.

Going back together, I initially tried to go back with new stock torque to yield head bolts. I found it impossible to properly torque them and then use the torque angle gauge to torque them to spec with the engine in the truck. The rear cylinders under the cowl were especially problematic. Perhaps with a digital tool on a breakover bar, it could be done. I ended up throwing in the towel that weekend and ordered a set of ARP head bolts that I could just torque to spec. I know some reuse the head bolts and just give them some ooga-duugas with the impact gun but I won't put my daily driver together like that.

Same thing with the balancer bolt. Getting that thing torqued to spec and then getting the appropriate torque angle in the vehicle was more that I wanted to mess with. It can be done. I just went with an ARP that I could torque to spec and reuse if I ever took it apart. Speaking of the balancer, the Chrysler style puller that you can get on the loan a tool (long fingers) will pull it if you don't have a puller.

Those engines are fairly famous for having broken exhaust manifold bolts. I have headers on my engine so I choose to upgrade to ARP stainless steel manifold bolts. I think it was money well spent.

Many of the gaskets can be reused (valve covers, intake, oil pan, timing cover) but I didn't want to chance it. I did my swap over ten years ago and it now has 130k miles on it so it turned out fine. I probably spent too much money on it but I didn't want it to leak and I needed it to be reliable.

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a DOD kit that has the cam, lifter trays, lifters, push rods, valley cover, gaskets and a plug in tuner to tune out the DOD. Those weren't around when I did mine. I recently saw this video. I follow Advanced Level Automotive on YouTube. Guy is a diagnostic genius and he's local to me which makes it interesting. He did a video on a DOD delete and I thought it was well done. Worth a watch since you are about to do one. That's all I can think of for now. PM me if you have a question. I'm glad to help.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Here's a look at that LS7 valley cover...
P1010027.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
BTR and Texas Speed have everything needed. I’ve never dealt with Texas Speed, but the people at Tooley are top notch - call them.

Things that might be considered to be reused - oil pump and the DOD push rods - ummm - don’t.

Everyone else hit all of the highlights. This can be done pretty cheap (less than $500 in parts). The motor in my MC was a DOD motor that I obviously deleted. I’m using used JY push rods and Sealed Power lifters from Advance Auto that I got for $7-8 a piece. Be careful of any China lifters!!!

And buy GM trays. Speedway seems to be about the cheapest place I could find them.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Thanks fellas. You guys are awesome. I kinda hate buying kits because it seems like they mark it up for putting it together but I'm not opposed to it this time. I need to buy hp tuners for mine anyway so he said he'll split the cost and buy his credits. I'm leaning towards Streetbu suggested ict cover, new lifters,trays and cam. I'm not sure why the pressure relief needs blocked , is it really common for it to stick open? The part Texas82GP linked is only 10 bucks so ill take his advice and put that and the deflector(7$) in it with a new pickup oring. Now i doubt hell go for 400$ head studs. Im gonna let him make that decision lol from reused bolts to arp ill show him the options and a good break test vid on youtube.
I'm also gonna let him read thru this thread and we'll make a final plan.
BTR and Texas Speed have everything needed. I’ve never dealt with Texas Speed, but the people at Tooley are top notch - call them.

Things that might be considered to be reused - oil pump and the DOD push rods - ummm - don’t.

Everyone else hit all of the highlights. This can be done pretty cheap (less than $500 in parts). The motor in my MC was a DOD motor that I obviously deleted. I’m using used JY push rods and Sealed Power lifters from Advance Auto that I got for $7-8 a piece. Be careful of any China lifters!!!

And buy GM trays. Speedway seems to be about the cheapest place I could find them.
I was typing the below paragraph before I read the above by 64nailhead
When I buy lifters how do I know I'm getting genuine gm ls7 lifters? And what is the difference (or need) for morel drop in lifters?
I may have read to many posts on the Facebook about lifters trashing engines but buying them makes me nervous. I'm just being honest. Trays as well. I don't want to buy a cheap tray that let's it spin in its bore. Again I really appreciate the help.

Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
So im looking at
Ict valley cover
Cam: The best cam for daily driver,pulls a boat or trailer from time to time is gonna be the stock cam right?
Lifters
Pushrods
Oil pump
Plug or replace relief valve
Pickup tube oring
His choice on head bolts or studs
Crank bolt(I didn't know those were tty)
Tune.
maybe head gaskets but he just replaced them when the lifter failed last time.
Also it's my understanding if I don't change the timing chain setup it will still have AFM. Is that right? And are dod cams different then non dod cams? Basically asking can I put the stock cam back in it?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Not sure on DOD vs. non DOD cam but in the video I linked above, the cam that came with that kit was a stock, genuine GM cam that didn't require tuning. Head studs are way overkill. I didn't got that way. I went with ARP head bolts with the benefit being they are torqued like any other run of the mill head bolt. Not a torque angle, torque to yield fastener. The guy in the video didn't have any problem tightening the bolts correctly with the engine in the truck. i didn't have the same tool he had and found it tough going. I like the ARP bolts a lot better.

88 Gutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2020
Ga
I have a 2008 Sierra with a Gen IV 5.3L LMG (Cathedral Port, DOD, Flex Fuel). By 50k miles I had a ticking lifter. I ran it until 82k miles and then did the DOD delete. I changed the cam. I swapped to the GM Performance Parts Hot Cam (219/228 .525/.525 on a 112 LSA). I don't advocate this in your situation but I wanted to point out that you absolutely can put a Gen III cam in a Gen IV engine. The Hot Cam is a Gen III cam. In your case, I would absolutely recommend pulling the cam for inspection and since there has been a problem with two lifters, for the cost, I would put in a new cam. You can get a delete kit that will have a stock grind cam and it will come as a Gen IV grind that has a single cam gear bolt. You can buy a delete kit that includes a plug in tuner to tune out the DOD. If you want to put a mild cam in it while you are at it, then you'll probably need the services of a tuner. If you put a mild cam in it, make sure the valve springs are compatible. The LS6 springs (19420455) are good to .550 lift and they are a production piece so you don't have to worry about how long they will live.

If you do end up putting in a Gen III, three bolt cam, the LS2 is a Gen IV (58x crank, 24x cam) engine with a three bolt gear.
  • 12586481 - Cam sprocket
  • 12556127 - Cam sprocket bolt
I put in a new timing chain while I was at it. Just a stock chain for an LS2. I don't have a part number handy. I chose to replace the cam retainer plate as it has an embossed O-Ring on it. Many have re-used it with no issue.
  • 12589016 - Cam retainer plate
The Gen IV engines have a spring loaded timing chain tensioner that has plastic guides. Mine was broken at 82k miles. The Chain was rubbing metal and the chunks of plastic were lying in the pan. I chose to retrofit to the LS2 style timing chain dampener. I've read of others with this problem and I've also read about high mileage engines where the Gen IV spring loaded tensioner was fine. I like "keep it simple stupid" so I went with the simpler design. Gen IV style (this one is broken):

View attachment 216313

LS2 and earlier style:

View attachment 216314

The LS2 style damper will bolt on any Gen IV engine. Part number 12588670. It's available from many sources.

If it were me, for a non-performance build I'd buy the delete kit with a stock non-DOD cam. It will have the lifter trays (12595365) - four required and a set of lifters - 12499225 (LS2/LS7 Lifter Kit). You will also need a set of push rods. Part number will depend on what you do with the cam. If you were to use a LQ4 cam then I would think LQ4 push rods would be what you want but I would measure to be sure.

I taped the electrical connector that plugged into the valley cover into the harness. I used an LS7 valley cover (12570471) but it has a nipple out the right front for a crankcase breather that is unneeded, and I had to cap off. There is a smooth Gen IV non-DOD valley cover (has o-rings on the bottom side where the solenoids are on the DOD cover).

I left my DOD oil pump. You absolutely do want to change the o-ring on the pick-up while you are in there. It's not a big deal to do. The center of the crossmember under the engine unbolts and makes dropping the pan a snap. It is also possible to do without pulling the pan. You want the red o-ring 12584922.

If I had it to do again, I would have replaced the pressure relief valve in the oil pan with a new one (12608835) as the spring is said to get softer over time and I would have installed the deflector (12639759 - this is a design improvement to prevent oil consumption - they didn't exist when the engine was built) on it to make sure it couldn't spray oil on the rotating assembly. Some just choose to remove the relief valve and plug the threaded boss in the oil pan. It's a metric thread so an oil pan drain plug will fit it. I think it's better to have the safety of the bypass and I don't have any issues with oil pressure. I would think in colder climates, you'd want to retain the bypass.

Going back together, I initially tried to go back with new stock torque to yield head bolts. I found it impossible to properly torque them and then use the torque angle gauge to torque them to spec with the engine in the truck. The rear cylinders under the cowl were especially problematic. Perhaps with a digital tool on a breakover bar, it could be done. I ended up throwing in the towel that weekend and ordered a set of ARP head bolts that I could just torque to spec. I know some reuse the head bolts and just give them some ooga-duugas with the impact gun but I won't put my daily driver together like that.

Same thing with the balancer bolt. Getting that thing torqued to spec and then getting the appropriate torque angle in the vehicle was more that I wanted to mess with. It can be done. I just went with an ARP that I could torque to spec and reuse if I ever took it apart. Speaking of the balancer, the Chrysler style puller that you can get on the loan a tool (long fingers) will pull it if you don't have a puller.

Those engines are fairly famous for having broken exhaust manifold bolts. I have headers on my engine so I choose to upgrade to ARP stainless steel manifold bolts. I think it was money well spent.

Many of the gaskets can be reused (valve covers, intake, oil pan, timing cover) but I didn't want to chance it. I did my swap over ten years ago and it now has 130k miles on it so it turned out fine. I probably spent too much money on it but I didn't want it to leak and I needed it to be reliable.

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a DOD kit that has the cam, lifter trays, lifters, push rods, valley cover, gaskets and a plug in tuner to tune out the DOD. Those weren't around when I did mine. I recently saw this video. I follow Advanced Level Automotive on YouTube. Guy is a diagnostic genius and he's local to me which makes it interesting. He did a video on a DOD delete and I thought it was well done. Worth a watch since you are about to do one. That's all I can think of for now. PM me if you have a question. I'm glad to help.

I am actually in the process of using this kit, replacing the same part he did in the video. The only thing is my 2008 isn’t VVT. I had to pull the engine due to wear on the cam bearings, so I am just going to do a rebuild.. a simple DOD delete has turned into a rebuild….the main and rod bearings didn’t have any strange wear. Not to bad for 250k

Attachments

• E5F6655D-6111-40FF-A5DD-2A9AEA3E2261.jpeg
    E5F6655D-6111-40FF-A5DD-2A9AEA3E2261.jpeg
    645.7 KB · Views: 54
  • E7162860-10E5-46E7-B001-1804DFED8CD3.jpeg
    E7162860-10E5-46E7-B001-1804DFED8CD3.jpeg
    638.2 KB · Views: 54
  • A1B333B4-A9E6-415F-8024-3EEC96AE3190.jpeg
    A1B333B4-A9E6-415F-8024-3EEC96AE3190.jpeg
    932.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 601FAB64-7E0C-4E91-932A-1435063D9D0F.jpeg
    601FAB64-7E0C-4E91-932A-1435063D9D0F.jpeg
    821.4 KB · Views: 69

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I am actually in the process of using this kit, replacing the same part he did in the video. The only thing is my 2008 isn’t VVT. I had to pull the engine due to wear on the cam bearings, so I am just going to do a rebuild.. a simple DOD delete has turned into a rebuild….the main and rod bearings didn’t have any strange wear. Not to bad for 250k
Oh Geesh, you broke the number one rule of not letting the magic out of an LS - ‘never look at the cam bearings’ lol.

FWIW, I do as well. If you have any love for the motor, then you have to, otherwise your old cam bearings are a ‘loss of oil pressure time bomb’. From the looks of the pistons (that I could see) you probably don’t need an overbore, but rather just a hone job with new rings. But I know that is hard for most to do on a 250k mile motor. Hopefully whomever is installing the cam bearings is very familiar with this job - it’s not as straightforward as an old school SB or BB Chevy/ford.

Also, pay close attention to the barbell, cam plate seal and oil pickup tube o-ring.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor