12,500 mile oil life??? shut the front door!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
used to have a minivan (96 chev 3.4L) that got oil changes once a year regardless of mileage. Put anywhere between 12,000 and 30,000 miles on it a year. It lived till 238,000miles on the odometer. Still ran good when it was scrapped but the body was giving up. Broken door latches, broken engine mount mounts, exhaust issues, etc... and wasnt worth fixing.

The oil will survive, but im not so sure about the filter. The oil was much darker after that long, than with regular changes.

Reactions: 1 user

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I don't think that there is any of quarts of oil from the 80's left.

s-l225.jpg
My uncle has about 4 cases of Sunoco 30 wt non detergent that he used to use in his Allis Chalmers D15. Don't know why he still got tho to be honest.

Also, I run full synthetic in my car and change it every 12k or so miles between changes.

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
I go past 5k without changing the oil and I hear my vehicles talking to me. My dad currently still drives his 2004 Honda pilot every day without ever having changed the oil. 200k last I checked. He just keeps adding when it gets low. Honda's are magic and they don't count though.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
My truck gets the oil changed every 3k and my daily driver (cobalt) normally gets it around 5k or so. Both are using Mobile 1 at the moment but I'm making the switch to amsoil here soon.

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
My truck gets the oil changed every 3k and my daily driver (cobalt) normally gets it around 5k or so. Both are using Mobile 1 at the moment but I'm making the switch to amsoil here soon.

I'm a Valvoline person. Amsoil is good stuff though, just expensive.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
But would you put it in your air boat?

I did use Mobil 1 in my airboat and only stopped due to the availability of the weight. I converted to Amsoil and still changed every 50 hours. I run synthetic oil and AV gas in all of my air cooled stuff. Both 2 and 4 stroke

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't think that there is any quarts of oil from the 80's left.

s-l225.jpg
I have a few cans like that packed away for collecting purposes.

Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I go past 5k without changing the oil and I hear my vehicles talking to me. My dad currently still drives his 2004 Honda pilot every day without ever having changed the oil. 200k last I checked. He just keeps adding when it gets low. Honda's are magic and they don't count though.

that's nuts ! I have a friend ( courier to boot ) for the last 25+ years that uses the oil light as his indicator to add oil. Runs tires down to the cords and only replaces something when the car needs absolutely needs it...
He refuses to do any maintenance or even wash his cars. Only once did I pick him up at night when he windowed the block on his 89 turdcell in 96 or so ( wifes first car BTW ). After that he bought a civic that got t boned in 09 ( same zero maintenance with over 400 thousand kms ) Currently he has an 09 Mazda 2. AFAIK hes done 1 set of tires and 1 set of front brakes in appx 300 thousand kms. It smokes and the brakes squeak but he hates to part with a penny for his vehicles for some reason. First guy to buy a round of beers so its not that he's cheap either. Its like a hatred or something LOL

I thought you weren't supposed to change synthetic oil until at least 9k due to the additives? I do annual oil changes on my vehicles, it never looks terribly dirty. I run Valvoline/NAPA oil and Napa gold filters, same as Wix.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
I did use Mobil 1 in my airboat and only stopped due to the availability of the weight. I converted to Amsoil and still changed every 50 hours. I run synthetic oil and AV gas in all of my air cooled stuff. Both 2 and 4 stroke

From what I understand AV gas is hard to find now days

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor