12,500 mile oil life??? shut the front door!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
and the same part number except for the added first # for the Wix filter....WIX 56116 is a rebadged NAPA Gold 6116.

So curious me just asked the Napa parts desk, and they were positive all their filters were made by wix. Now I know the employees aren't usually very knowledgeable in most stores. However, I've never had that problem with Napa... I'll have to dig a little deeper into this, I'm getting that conspiracy feeling...

I was watching a episode of engine masters on motortrend and they were using a oil that is good for 100k miles between changes. Going to have to remember watch it but think it was made by amsoil. If that's possible I wouldn't trust anything over 10k between oil changes.

Remember, it's gotta be dexos approved! Lol

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I go past 5k without changing the oil and I hear my vehicles talking to me. My dad currently still drives his 2004 Honda pilot every day without ever having changed the oil. 200k last I checked. He just keeps adding when it gets low. Honda's are magic and they don't count though.
I know people who did that, sure hope he drives it into the ground. Some lived till the oil was changed, others blew up multiple times.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So curious me just asked the Napa parts desk, and they were positive all their filters were made by wix. Now I know the employees aren't usually very knowledgeable in most stores. However, I've never had that problem with Napa... I'll have to dig a little deeper into this, I'm getting that conspiracy feeling...

I have read that Wix makes a lower quality oil filter as well and that the Napa Gold is the better of the two Wix filters

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I recall reading back in the day something about using diatomaceous earth filters. I think they were used in large trucks, etc. and could be used on some cars as well. They apparently kept the oil clean for much longer intervals...so it limited the amount of oil changes.

Btw, the Car Quest filter that I bought was identical to the NAPA filter that I had purchased prior to that one.

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
I know people who did that, sure hope he drives it into the ground. Some lived till the oil was changed, others blew up multiple times.

He works at the airport so he'd probably just leave it in the parking lot and buy another one :D

I recall reading back in the day something about using diatomaceous earth filters. I think they were used in large trucks, etc. and could be used on some cars as well. They apparently kept the oil clean for much longer intervals...so it limited the amount of oil changes.

Btw, the Car Quest filter that I bought was identical to the NAPA filter that I had purchased prior to that one.

Dia-what? lol ....I'm telling you, it's all a conspiracy between brands!

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I have always used AC filters. Use the 1218 on the El Camino, 10W-30 Mobil One.
acd-pf1218.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Just to clarify, any oil will ROT just sitting in the crankcase if the vehicle isn't driven very much. Synthetic starts with the same petroleum molecules as conventional, then they monkey with the molecule chains to make them all the same length. But it's still organic and rots just like conventional. Normally that becomes a problem at about 6 months, so Mobil is putting some kind of additive in this stuff to slow the rotting down and allow 12 months.

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
Just to clarify, any oil will ROT just sitting in the crankcase if the vehicle isn't driven very much. Synthetic starts with the same petroleum molecules as conventional, then they monkey with the molecule chains to make them all the same length. But it's still organic and rots just like conventional. Normally that becomes a problem at about 6 months, so Mobil is putting some kind of additive in this stuff to slow the rotting down and allow 12 months.

Now to figure out what that additive is and put it on the whole car!

Reactions: 1 user

Don Siefer

n00b
May 24, 2017
I run valvoline synthetic change once a year but change the filter twice a year and the van has 242000 on it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor