We put in another 4 hours today. The cab was unbolted so we shimmied it back a couple inches then yanked the engine and transmission. After that we pulled the rearend and used the tractor to rickshaw the old stuff out of the way.
Once we got the floor cleaned up and the new frame in place we installed the new rear springs. Contrary to my expectations, the rearend dropped right in place.
After we loosely mounted the brake pedal and master, the next step was to mock up the engine and transmission. We had to fake it because one of the motor mounts as well as the transmission mount were broken. It appears that the motor mounts on the frame are in the right spot but it was built with a TH350 in mind.
That meant some rough eyeballing to mark where things were in the way followed by some surgical steel removal.
So that's where we knocked off today. Front suspension parts are in transit. Motor mounts and transmission mounts should be here in the morning but we won't likely do any more until Sunday.
wow that sucks that it got hit. Assume everyone made it out OK ! Its great to see that your family have both the skills, space and relative funds to get things done ( or alt least running ). Being the only "wrench" in both my family and my in-laws so I can only imagine \ admire what its like to get 3 guys together to knock stuff out at the rate and quality you do !
Side note, I havent seen you flip a Vdub bus for a while ...
No VWs for quite a while. Too busy with other things lately.
Yeah, he was mostly unscathed. The plan is just to get it back on the road for him. He'll have to handle the body and paint on his own later. Although he is strongly considering a trip over here to replace the rockers before the cab and running boards go back on.
Thanks for the kind words and for following along. Stay tuned.
Short day today. We test fit the engine/transmission with the new mounts, removed, fine tuned the tunnel trimming, then installed them again. About that time the UPS guy delivered the front suspension parts. We got the control arms and spindles hung and when I went to mount the calipers I found that they had sent the wrong brackets. Packed the wheel bearings but can't put the rotors on yet. Mounted the rack and tie rod ends. Last thing we did was test fit the old driveline to see if it fit. We could probably force it in but it's completely bottomed out.
I'm headed out of town for a few days so my dad will handle a bunch of small tasks. It's almost a roller.
While I was out of town my dad got the driveline shortened and finished putting the frontend together.
We put in another 4 hour shift today. We started by pulling the engine and transmission again so we could do some more frame surgery. This time we opened up some extra room for exhaust.
I fabbed up some basic upper shock mounts for the rear. Apparently I've forgotten how to weld. They came out sturdy but not too pretty. Good thing the bed covers it up.
We mounted the fuel tank then set the front down and leveled it so we could measure for coilovers.
List making finished up the day. The front sway bar is on order and needs to go in next. I've ordered up a timing cover set and oil pan gasket to take care of some seepage while it's out. My dad will pick up some more hardware and my brother should be ordering up coilovers in the next couple days. If all goes well it should be a roller by the 1st of 2019. Then it gets a trip to the exhaust shop.
Parts have been trickling in. Adjustable QA1s are here, green front sway bar is here but the hardware was wrong. The black one is for the rear and had been mounted to the old frame for as long as I can remember but never had end links on it. Gaskets showed up.
We screwed around for a few hours on Sunday but didn't seem to make much progress. My dad bought more hardware and we regrouped this morning. I resealed the engine (pooched timing cover gasket behind the alternator) and got it ready to drop back in. New CTS too.
The oil was ridiculously dirty and I think it's the same filter that's been on it since I rebuilt it. Guess it got enjoyed more than I thought.
My dad fought the swaybars some more but ran into even more hardware issues. We'll hit it again for a few hours tomorrow. Stay tuned.