BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
They make bolt in kits but since you are BOP it makes sense to piece everything together.

My recommendations:
Find an OEM BOP bell for $100, steel is cool and all but you aren't running 11's or faster where you risk amputation if the flywheel blows up and the buicks don't rev so low risk
Find a Buick stick flywheel, probably the hardest part
Buy a clutch from Fabbot (he makes the AR5 to LS adapters locally to me), he has a private line of clutches that are sourced from the same place Monster gets their stuff at a much less markup, I think he offers a 10 spline replacement
Go with a hydraulic TOB from Howe or similar to remove the need or wore out linkages

Reactions: 6 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Congrats, glad you got into something you can sink your teeth into

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
They make bolt in kits but since you are BOP it makes sense to piece everything together.

My recommendations:
Find an OEM BOP bell for $100, steel is cool and all but you aren't running 11's or faster where you risk amputation if the flywheel blows up and the buicks don't rev so low risk
Find a Buick stick flywheel, probably the hardest part
Buy a clutch from Fabbot (he makes the AR5 to LS adapters locally to me), he has a private line of clutches that are sourced from the same place Monster gets their stuff at a much less markup, I think he offers a 10 spline replacement
Go with a hydraulic TOB from Howe or similar to remove the need or wore out linkages

I definitely think a hydraulic TOB is the way to go. Stock bellhousing should be fine. Flywheel is easy, TA Performance sells one.

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Sounds like there has been a shift :LOL: from the M-22 to possibly going with the TKX. That would definitely eliminate the need to add a Hone overdrive to the back of the 22 for highway operations.

Nick

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sounds like there has been a shift :LOL: from the M-22 to possibly going with the TKX. That would definitely eliminate the need to add a Hone overdrive to the back of the 22 for highway operations.

Nick
This will require a rear gear change as well though. A 2.78 or 2.__ anything will run 200 mph with any type of real tire out back. If Joe's motor is less than 450hp, then the 5 speed and a gear swap will really wake it up for both burnouts and ice cream, and track times. But if he puts anything to it to get into 550-700hp range (laughing gas), then the 4 speed with with a taller gear would be a better choice.

I'll guess that NOS won't be in the picture though - NOS all stands for No Old sh*t in your build because it breaks everything repeatedly.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Or he plans to cruise the AutoBahn and embarass Audis and BMW's; 'course he could that over here just as easily.

Nick

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Fix the major structural rust, treat everything else, put that sbb in it (fuel injection?) and send it my guy.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor