1970 Chevelle, Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Ok so i posted an ad to Kijiji looking for classic car project. A guy emailed me and said he had a 1970 chevelle that he will sell to me for 2000. He said it has a rebuilt 350 and 700r4 Transmission in it. He said when they were putting the engine and trans in they had to take the distributor off because it would hit the firewall so right now the distributor is not in. He also said there was a small hole on the quarter panel the size of a dime. What do you guys think about that? Does 2000 sound like a decent deal? Also what should i look for on these cars that would rot out

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The lower dogleg on the the front fenders right behind the wheel seem to always rust, quarters, bottom of the rear windows are always the first place to look for rust on A bodys. $2k is not a bad price for a driver. The large cap HEI wont fit without dimpling the firewall that is likely what the guy was trying to put in, you can use a converted points style or small cap aftermarket dist just make sure you dont use the factory resistor wire to power either of these.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Along with everything already mentioned -- Bottom of the rear quarters (inside and out). Trunk floor and trunk extensions. Obviously, floor pans. Lower edges of the doors and trunk. Lower windshield channel. If it has a vinyl top expect the roof to be trashed.

Honestly, $2000 sounds a little too cheap for a '70 Chevelle with a rebuilt engine and a 700R4. Either this guy has no idea what he has, its a total piece of junk, missing a bunch of parts, or there's something fishy with the paperwork. I'd suggest you proceed with caution.
Keep us posted.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since it does sound like a really good deal on paper, I would have to question the fact that who buys or gets an engine rebuilt and does all that work to install it and doesn't get it running because the distributor is out, whether it is a clearance issue or not I doubt that would stop anyone from finishing when you are so close.
To me if a car doesn't run or I can't drive it then I base it's value on the what I can see.
A car like this you might look at and say OK it needs some body work no big deal and maybe a distributor and some other things to finish it off but without it running you have no idea of the condition of the engine and trans, brake system,rearend etc..
You could end up with putting possibly thousands into unanticipated repairs in the end so it is a buyer beware issue.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
565bbchevy said:
To me if a car doesn't run or I can't drive it then I base it's value on the what I can see.
Exactly, Im guessing the seller is pricing it as a roller. Or its actually a base Malibu rather than a Chevelle.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
It was a pile of sh*t :blam:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you said you had around 3k to spend when you were looking for a Monte. For 3K you'd be lucky to find a Chevelle that's a good roller.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Well the way the guy told me about the car it actually sounded awesome! He said it had a good body, good frame, and good interior. Guy said the car was blue on the phone aswell and stored in a garage. I get there, its stored outside of his garage, car is purple, major rust on the quarter panels, frame was looking terrible in the back, interior was garbage, floors were soft, and the engine didnt even look rebuilt :wtf: . I was pretty mad after driving 2 hours down to see this, and just to find out the guy lied about everything. Told him what a pile of sh*t it was and left. :blam:

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
DRIVEN said:
Along with everything already mentioned -- Bottom of the rear quarters (inside and out). Trunk floor and trunk extensions. Obviously, floor pans. Lower edges of the doors and trunk. Lower windshield channel. If it has a vinyl top expect the roof to be trashed.

Honestly, $2000 sounds a little too cheap for a '70 Chevelle with a rebuilt engine and a 700R4. Either this guy has no idea what he has, its a total piece of junk, missing a bunch of parts, or there's something fishy with the paperwork. I'd suggest you proceed with caution.
Keep us posted.

Da Da Da Ditto!!!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Lorenzo said:
I was pretty mad after driving 2 hours down to see this, and just to find out the guy lied about everything. Told him what a pile of sh*t it was and left. :blam:
I would have asked him for gas money just to make a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor