1970 Olds Cutlass S Rat Rod Style

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Oh and I forgot, the starter would not crank. I tapped it and it went, once. The solenoid connection is spinning in the housing, I guessed the correct position. It is cranking fine. Plus my garage is way overfilled, some stuff may go downstairs. Two tool boxes draws are falling apart. Plus my furnace has been finicky in the house and the garage. The house stopped working a couple times in -40. My garage takes 2 to 3 cycles to start in -40. My dishwasher stops working every couple of days and my house is full of adult children, one unemployed, the other two students. They stay up super late, got out to the yard to smoke pot and drink plenty enough. They do very little to help around the house most times. I really don't want to put out more money for a dishwasher. So the sinks are always full, usually my Wife or myself loads it. We got after our girls when they were little, spankings etc. Plus Mom's Birthday was just past this weekend, first one since she is gone. So only positive from here on out. I started that trend and ordered a new bottom tool box from Home Depot. I will pick up fresh gas and try again next weekend.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well after cleaning everything up, it still did the same thing. I even switched one carb gasket, thought it might be questionable then stripped the back bolt. I just did it as a M8x1.25 by 60mm long on that side after trying to tap 5/16". Tightened down, still an almost start then back fire. I even switched in a HEI, still the same. I even put it 180 out with a big back fire out the exhaust. I then went through the firing order. I must have been cross eyed! After fixing that, it fired right up. Of course the braided hose off the trans cooler failed and was leaking. I topped up the power steering set the timing and idle. I took it for a drive. It will need resonators, in town is pretty bad. Power wise, what a difference. It actually gets out of it's own way now. It is a bit shitty to start warm, will try and figure it out. Video tomorrow😁.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I think there is a fuel supply issue or I need a new fuel filter. I was giving it hell and did died. I had to spray carb cleaner down the carb. I didn't change it yet this year. The Autometer tach doesn't work with my box. I even redid the wire between the tach feed and the tach. Autometer even mentions the Mallory box in its list and to not hook up off the coil, use the box tach feed.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So, lately my luck has been horrible and 70S is no different. I almost squashed a $4000 1000L tote of 15W40 oil, that might have taken all my Irish luck for years😳. That is pretty much my best luck lately. I went through a stupid amount clothes at work hooking and unhooking the Pup at least 3 times, diesel in the lines heads straight for me. Remember all the struggles on the 70S, there is probably one more. After the initial run which felt powerful and ran good, something seemed a miss. For one the hard starts after sitting a couple of minutes and less powerful. The radiator actually over pressurized the 7 pound cap after a high rpm run and would not restart. I had to get a can of carb cleaner and figured it was a carb issue. Pretty sure the carb is perfectly fine. I even picked up a new fuel filter and a 3/8"x20" Nickel Copper line for the fuel pump to the carb. While neither will hurt, pretty sure that is not the issue. It have been constantly topping up the rad and noticed my oil was higher that usual. Pretty sure the .028" head gaskets I Copper gasket spray coated reused are leaking. I actually just went through and retorqued all the head bolts to 90 ft/lbs, 5 over the spec. I am taking my bore scope out there today, pretty sure a cylinder will have green liquid inside. I will check and take for a drive after blowing out the cylinder, not holding out much hope. I will be measuring to see if the cats will fit, buying installing a rpm reading timing light inside as my permanent tach, since nothing else works with this box along with ordering the early 350 Felpro 96009 valley pan and standard .041" 8171PT Felpro head gaskets from Amazon along with a missing valve cover breather. I can make $500 disappear in a hurry. Was it worth it for .25 to 1 compression, the answer is no🙁.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: Did you leave the pin stripes on the hood? I can't tell. I thought it gave it more cool than all one color. I had a 69 convertible for years. Good lock with it...
IBBY

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No, but when it gets repainted, they will be included, they are a nice touch. I slapped some awful looking paint on it but I am stripping it off this Summer. It needs all 4 four quarters and probably both door skins before that happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I am not so sure it is an antifreeze pressurizing issue. Zero signs of antifreeze in the cylinders with the scope and the plugs are all light brown. That particular rad cap the pushed out antifreeze is 7 psi and may be junk. It may be the starter, cranking a bit slow at all times and a fuel issue. Either the filter, pump and not enough choke. I revved it pretty good before it stalled. Priming the carb with carb cleaner got it going. I wiped off the oil dipstick, no signs of milkiness, nice and yellow. I must have over filled it that much. I will drain out the extra liter over full into a clean pail. It hasn't gone up anymore and the rad was only down a tiny amount.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor