1979 Chevy El Camino/ Have a question regarding Upper control Arms/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A compression test will identify a valve problem. If you find a cylinder that checks much lower than the others, squirt some oil in that cylinder and try again. Some improvement would be expected even on a good cylinder but you are looking for significant improvement (more than say 10%) If the cylinder improves dramatically with some oil in it, then it points towards leakage at the rings. If there is no change or only slight improvement then that points to a valve problem. If you suspect a valve sticking from the engine sitting up, consider running some Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil and in the gas. That's good stuff. Are you sure you don't have a partial misfire due to weak ignition on one cylinder? What kind of shape is the tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, carb tuning, timing adjustment) in? Just some thoughts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Ok, so I did the compression test on my el camino and the values are 160 to 165 lbs of pressure so It looks like the cylinders are in pretty good shape.I remembered that the previous owner had told me that he had replaced the spark plugs and dist,cap and rotor.
The spark plugs looked pretty dark and full of carbon so I said I am going to replace them again.I put in some new AC delco R45TS and new wires.I checked the timing and put initial timing at 8 BTDC as the manual recommends.I also replaced the dist.vacuum advance.
After putting everything back together and firing up the engine,that baby sounds great,no more missing. However,one thing that I cannot figure out and maybe one of you guys can help.This has been there since I got the truck.If I accelerate all of a sudden,the engine hesitates for a few seconds and than takes off.This hesitation is there at idle and during acceleration.
I have done everything to correct this problem but no cure yet.It has a Edelbrock Intake and a Edelbrock 1400/ 600CFM carbureter.
I had the carb. completely redone but still have the problem.I have the advance connected to ported vacuum from the carb.I also tried connecting to full vacuum but no help.This is what is crazy,to me anyway.If I disconnect vacuum completely to the advance unit at the dist.,there is no more hesitation.I can rev.up the engine full blast and will not hesitate.I know that the advance has to have vacuum to advance the timing at the right time so I don't want to delete the vacuum to the dist.What happens to the engine if I run it without the vacuum advance? Maybe somebody here has an idea as to what is causing this,I sure hope so.
Thanks to Texas82GP and all of you here.
Mando

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you had the carb completely redone that these questions should be asked of the rebuilder...

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Yes,I understand that but keep in mind that this problem was there before I had it rebuilt.
I thought for sure that it was the carb. causing the problem but even after I got it back,still doing the same thing.
Before I send it in to have rebuilt,I replaced the accelerator pump on the carb.thinking that it was the problem but did not fix it so I decided to have it completely rebuilt.Still same problem.Thanks for your reply.
Mando

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would still ask him, it may be something he over looked if it wasn't mentioned before the carb was done. At least that will take the carb out of the hunt to find the problem if it isn't the carb. If the timing is set right and the wires and plugs are in good shape I'd be looking at the carb as the problem

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The compression sounds good. I think your hesitation might be caused by an overly rich condition. If the plugs are black and carboned up, it's rich for some reason. I'm not knowledgeable on tuning an Edlebrock carb. I would address the rich condition first and see if that cures the hesitation. Check out some youtube videos on tuning one of those carbs or talk to your builder, particularly about how the plugs look.

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'm still fighting this problem of hesitation.I called the guy that rebuild my carb. but will be out of town till Monday.So,since I can't talk to him til Monday,I'm going to work on the dash.Some of the little lights are out.Oh, by the way,is there another way to monitor the temperature on this motor other than with the indicator light?I don't trust this lights and would rather have a gauge type indicator rather than the light.I guess I could put in a under dash Temp.,oil,and ammeter but don't want to.
Thanks Guys for all your help.
Mando

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'm still fighting this problem of hesitation.I called the guy that rebuild my carb. but will be out of town till Monday.So,since I can't talk to him til Monday,I'm going to work on the dash.Some of the little lights are out.Oh, by the way,is there another way to monitor the temperature on this motor other than with the indicator light?I don't trust this lights and would rather have a gauge type indicator rather than the light.I guess I could put in a under dash Temp.,oil,and ammeter but don't want to.
Thanks Guys for all your help.
Mando
If you aren't crazy about under dash gauges, you could either swap in a factory cluster with gauges or put in a set of custom gauges where your stock cluster is.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
I'm going to check prices on replacing the stock gauges first.If not too bad,I will order some and if not,I will go ahead and put them under dash.Thanks.
Mando

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor