1980 Cutlass Build thread now with Paint!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
Well I've been on here for awhile. I thinks it's time to start a thread on my cutlass. I bought the car 7 months ago for $125.00 yes $125. It was sitting in a feild for 3 yrs and the people just wanted it gone. A few people looked at it and the people told me if I didn't buy it it was headed to the crusher. I just couldn't let it die such a horrible death. So I rescued it. I put a new battery in it and to my surprise it cranked right up. I took it for a small test drive around the lot and it drove fine. Had it towed to my garage. Fun began. The car a a rather large rust hole under the moulding for the vinyl top. I cut the rust out replaced with fresh metal and primed. went throught the car and checked everything. Got tags and proceed to drive home which is a 40 mile drive from work. Sweated the whole time. Car ran perfect. Started driving it as a daily driver and it has been running great since. Had just one small problem with the car so far. The radiator rotted fron sitting so I just replaced it. I have put about 4k miles on it since buying it. Now to the good stuff. The car has the 4.3 260 v8 and a th350 trans. I have been looking at some pics of the 78-80 cutlass cars, and I have seen very few with the quad head lights like mine. Was this a late model run change for the 80's or just an option the not many recieved?
Well on to the pics and then I will follow them with the plans for this month.

cutty.jpg

cutty1.jpg

cutty2.jpg

cutty3.jpg

cutty4.jpg

There are the pics i'll have better ones in the future. So far I have ordered the paint which is a med blue met, got wheels and tires, ordered some replacement trim pieces for the interior and ordered new daul exhaust. Car will be painted by months end and interior will be finshed. I bought a 400 chevy sm blk and th350 trans for cheap so that will be the engine combo for it. I am going to hold off on the engine swap till next fall to recoup from the over 3k I just spent on the car. I will keep all posted on the progress and get some current and better pics of the car.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
nice buy for $125 and all it needed was a battery and radiator! looks good, not use to seeing a white interior in that color car or a white top. and you have bucket seats nice! same color as my 85 but i have the tan interior with bench pillot top seats and tan top that i removed.

83Cutlass2181

Greasemonkey
Jun 3, 2008
wow, what a steal for $125 man. looks like you've got some good plans, good luck and keep us updated.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Re: 1980 Cutlass Build thread

gs dewd said:
I have been looking at some pics of the 78-80 cutlass cars, and I have seen very few with the quad head lights like mine. Was this a late model run change for the 80's or just an option the not many recieved?

Nice looking car, and what a steal for only $125!
The '78-'79 Cutlass's had the single light noses, while the quad lamp nose was '80 only.

Glad to see another one get saved from the crusher!

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
Here's some updated pics. Wheels on new sterring wheel. And oh tirmming out the doors, trunk and hood for paint. What do you guys think of the color?

hoodtrimed2.jpg

hoodtrimedout.jpg

doortrimed2.jpg

doortrimed.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Looks like you got some blue paint on your white seats!
It'll be worth your time to do some more masking in the future.

I liked the original color... but that's just me...

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Re: 1980 Cutlass Build thread

Blake442 said:
gs dewd said:
I have been looking at some pics of the 78-80 cutlass cars, and I have seen very few with the quad head lights like mine. Was this a late model run change for the 80's or just an option the not many recieved?

Nice looking car, and what a steal for only $125!
The '78-'79 Cutlass's had the single light noses, while the quad lamp nose was '80 only.

Glad to see another one get saved from the crusher!

^^ what they said. But the 1980 Cutlass had quad lights and 2 Different header panels for some reason and the grills do not interchange!

On my '80 Calais the grill was square and lined up with the headlight buckets. Grills were cracked when I bought it and I could not find a better set the whole time I owned the car

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
Blake442 said:
Looks like you got some blue paint on your white seats!
It'll be worth your time to do some more masking in the future.

I liked the original color... but that's just me...

That part of the seat is getting replaced with the interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor