1980 Cutlass Build thread now with Paint!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would go with a white top. The dark blue top would not work well with that bright medium blue the car is painted. There simply is not enough contrast. That blue is also a very vibrant color and should be mixed only with another vibrant color. There is a certain sense of theater to it that must be maintained by any complimentary color you should choose to use. White stands out against it, but a darker blue would not. If it were a more mundane blue or a darker color then you would use the dark blue. Remember: You want your style elements to have a cohesive feel and theme to them. Certain colors call for certain complimentary elements. There may be no concrete rules in Hot Rodding, but there are rules to what works together and what doesn't. As for stripes, they are a no-no on a car with a vinyl top and would look too busy. Had you eliminated the top they might have worked, but with the top they won't. Also, I would not use Chevy style stripes on an Oldsmobile. It's just wrong and it makes it look like you didn't want an Olds and had to settle when you wanted a Chevy. Stripes should always be done in a style used by the brand of the car in question.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Just my quick .02
I think you're good with white top-no stripes, the car is beautiful as is, why risk it?

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I would go with a white top. The dark blue top would not work well with that bright medium blue the car is painted. There simply is not enough contrast. That blue is also a very vibrant color and should be mixed only with another vibrant color. There is a certain sense of theater to it that must be maintained by any complimentary color you should choose to use. White stands out against it, but a darker blue would not. If it were a more mundane blue or a darker color then you would use the dark blue. Remember: You want your style elements to have a cohesive feel and theme to them. Certain colors call for certain complimentary elements. There may be no concrete rules in Hot Rodding, but there are rules to what works together and what doesn't. As for stripes, they are a no-no on a car with a vinyl top and would look too busy. Had you eliminated the top they might have worked, but with the top they won't. Also, I would not use Chevy style stripes on an Oldsmobile. It's just wrong and it makes it look like you didn't want an Olds and had to settle when you wanted a Chevy. Stripes should always be done in a style used by the brand of the car in question.

You know the more I looke at it with that shade of blue the more I have to agree. White top stays and no stripes. With the chrome white top and white pin stripping I think it has enough contrast to the blue.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Killer paint!

Leave the car the way it is with the chrome and the vinyl white top they complement each other tastefully.

Adding racing stripes would look a little off with the side pin stripe, vinyl roof and chrome. '
If you did decide to add a stripe just do the hood and put a spoiler on the trunk. Just my $0.02

Paint the interior all white and do the dash and console dark blue and buy some dark blue carpet.

Then sell me the car :D

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
88hurstolds said:
Killer paint!

Leave the car the way it is with the chrome and the vinyl white top they complement each other tastefully.

Adding racing stripes would look a little off with the side pin stripe, vinyl roof and chrome. '
If you did decide to add a stripe just do the hood and put a spoiler on the trunk. Just my $0.02

Paint the interior all white and do the dash and console dark blue and buy some dark blue carpet.

Then sell me the car :D
Actually the interior was finished before the paint I just haven't got around to taking pics of it. But it looks great. I don't think I could bring myself to sell the car with all the work I have put into it and the work I am going to do over the winter with the engine and drivetrain.

ibanezfxer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 10, 2009
Orlando
I would go white top for sure. I took my vinyl off, but I like a white one for yours with the blue. I like the color. Also, if it were mine, I would so not stripe it. Some nice dark window tint would be sweet! Are you going straight out with dual exhaust or angled out to the corners? Either way would look tight.

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
Looks good, the color is cool too....

So what did ya do for the interior?

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
silent_orchestra said:
Looks good, the color is cool too....

So what did ya do for the interior?
I dyed the dash, upper door panels, door carpet, and console black. Redid the seats white. Then replaced the carpet(black), A pillars,B pillars, lower quater panels, and seat backs with new ones and dyed them white. It has a grant gt sterring wheel, sun pro tach and autometer water and temp gauges(mounted in the drivers a pillar). Installed a pioneer head unit and new speakers. The lower door panels are white along with the headliner. So basically what was tan or brown is now black and what was white is still white except the upper door panels and the rear panel inserts. They are black. I put seat covers over the white seat to protect them since I am a mechanic and don't want to chance dirting them up. That is also the reason for the black upper door panels they don't show dirt like the white did. With everything white is was hard to keep clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor