1980 Cutlass Build thread now with Paint!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

85 Salon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
I really really like it! Like everyone else....wish I could find a deal like that!

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Looks damn good! Nice work.

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
Thanks for all the good comments guys. It's been a project thats for sure. And I'm only about half done with it. Next stop the drive train. If I haven't already got the engine and started with the build process of it I would just leave the 260 in it and make a real nice cruise mobile. But that wouldn't go to good with the theme I have going with the car. If anyone else want's the low down on the paint I used just hit me up for the info.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
did you not have any bodywork to do? and did you use a primer? just curious cuz the pics don't show

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
350_85cutty said:
did you not have any bodywork to do? and did you use a primer? just curious cuz the pics don't show
There was one rust hole on the passenger side under the vinyl top moulding about 3 x 1 in in size. I cut out all the affected metal and welded in new metal and the where some small dents in the roof and trunk from what looked like maybe hail. Fixed those also. The rust hole I fixed right after I got the car almost a year ago and the little dents I fixed thursday night. I primed all the repair spots and then sealed the whole car before painting. Other the that the cat was in really great shape. Which I figured it should have been considering the floors and frame had no rust hole or damage on them. All I had to do with the under side was a quick cleaning and then spray bombed it and it looks like new. Here is a pic of the area where I repaired the rust. I should have took more pics of the whole process with painting and all. I will document better from here on out tho.

cut.jpg

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
I need some opions as me and my wife can't decide on what color I should do the vinyl top. We are thinking going back with white or A darker blue. What do you guys think?

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
I was leaning toward the darker blue top also and break up all the white. I am also thinking of white racing stripes on the hood and trunk. Opions on that anyone?

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
if you do stripes, do the hood and make sure you catch your scoop with the stripe, but do the rear decklid like the 79 H/O's where it's just the rear of the decklid not on the top and avoid the roof, i hate when people stripe the roof!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor